Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > submit form to same page

submit form to same page

Shank

I'm having a problem with submitting a form to the same page. 99% of all
users go through without issue. Yet there's a handful that say their data is
not being submitted. They redirect to an error page.

Assume I'm submitting to the same page: review.asp
Is there any difference between: action="review.asp" and action="" ...?

<form action="review.asp" method="post" name="frmReview" id="frmReview">

thanks

David Dorward

Shank wrote:

> Is there any difference between: action="review.asp" and action="" ...?

The former submits to the relative URL "review.asp", the latter isn't a URL
and the behaviour is undefined, some browsers will treat it as if it was
the URL of the current page, others will treat it as "./", its best
avoided.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Michael Winter

On 24/12/2005 21:01, David Dorward wrote:

> Shank wrote:
>
>> Is there any difference between: action="review.asp" and action=""
>> ...?

> The former submits to the relative URL "review.asp", the latter isn't
> a URL and the behaviour is undefined [...]

Not so.

Within a representation with a well defined base URI of

http://a/b/c/d;p?q

a relative reference is transformed to its target URI as
follows.

"" = "http://a/b/c/d;p?q"

-- 5.4 and 5.4.1, Reference Resolution Examples, RFC 3986

However, I do agree that it's best avoided in production as not all user
agents agree. For example, and as David said, IE will treat empty URIs
in links as "./", though it will act properly for FORM action attributes
with empty values.

Mike

--
Michael Winter