Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > country select list

country select list

Leszek

Hi.
Is it possible to make a select lst of all countries in the world?
Is there a list of countries i could download and place it in my form?

thanx
Leszek

Marian Heddesheimer

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:36:14 +0100, Leszek wrote:

>Is it possible to make a select lst of all countries in the world?

google could help here:

"country dropdown" found this:

http://www.thefixor.com/help/countryDRP.html

Marian

--
http://www.lernpilot.de/blog/ (das Weblog)
Alles zum Thema Lernen

dsa2kja0f9laj@easypeas.net

Hello Leszek,

Well, I'll tell you what. I just so happen to have such a list on my
webpage. The URL is http://linkfrog.net, and the country list is in a
form on the "Survey du jour" page.

In exchange, I only ask that you fill in the survey--I don't think
anyone from Poland has yet .

Merry Christmas,
Walter Gildersleeve
Freiburg, Germany

http://linkfrog.net
URL Shortening
Free and easy, small and green.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Leszek wrote:

> Hi.
> Is it possible to make a select lst of all countries in the world?
> Is there a list of countries i could download and place it in my form?

There is one on this page. You could probably copy the source.

http://www.mailcoach.com/asp/selectcountry.asp

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Rob McAninch

Marian Heddesheimer>:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:36:14 +0100, Leszek wrote:

>>Is it possible to make a select lst of all countries in the world?

> google could help here:
> http://www.thefixor.com/help/countryDRP.html

I question the usefulness of such drop down lists. Most people know
what country they live in and can type it much faster than scrolling
a list (or typing to get the list closer to the choice you need).

It's similar to asking for a birth date, we are so accustomed to
responding that having to scroll lists is less efficient.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001112.html

--
Rob McAninch
http://rock13.com

Jukka K. Korpela

"Leszek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it possible to make a select lst of all countries in the world?

Yes, of course, though different people would create different lists, since
there are different definitions of "country".

The right question is: What is the best way to ask the user to a select a
country? A select list is not the right answer, unless you intentionally and
for a good reason limit the choices to a dozen or so countries.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ed

Rob McAninch wrote:
> Marian Heddesheimer>:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:36:14 +0100, Leszek wrote:

>>> Is it possible to make a select lst of all countries in the world?

>> google could help here:
>> http://www.thefixor.com/help/countryDRP.html

> I question the usefulness of such drop down lists. Most people know what
> country they live in and can type it much faster than scrolling a list
> (or typing to get the list closer to the choice you need).
>
> It's similar to asking for a birth date, we are so accustomed to
> responding that having to scroll lists is less efficient.
>
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001112.html

A drop down down list does force a certain level of consistency in the
answers and makes counting the replies relatively straightforward if
that is the intention.

Once you start asking people what country they live in, or come from,
you can end up with all sorts of problems. For example, try asking
someone born anywhere in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland (that is the official name). You could then get replies
ranging through:

England
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Isle of Man
UK
Great Britain
Britain

Not all of these are legally defined as countries! The list includes
provinces and principalities. But different people will argue
passionately that their own particular area is indeed a country in its
own right.

Far simpler to use a drop down list if you want to tabulate and count
the results.

Yours truly,
Ed
Republic of Ireland
(Or is it Eire, or Ireland, but without the North!!)

Greg N.

Ed wrote:

> ...different people will argue
> passionately that their own particular area is indeed a country in its
> own right.
>
> Far simpler to use a drop down list if you want to tabulate and count
> the results.

It may be difficult for you, the web designer, but let them state their
country. They know better than you. Or make your job easy and **** them
off as a side effect.

Whenever I'm faced with a selection list that does not offer a fitting
choice for me, the site must offer some real good value to motivate me
finish the form.

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Jukka K. Korpela

Ed <ex@directory> wrote:

> A drop down down list does force a certain level of consistency in the
> answers

Only if users are nice. They should not be expected to be.

> and makes counting the replies relatively straightforward if
> that is the intention.

This is actually a _risk_ in a drop down list: it makes you think you can
avoid checking the incoming data in the form handler. It then becomes
vulnerable to even the most trivial attacks.

> Once you start asking people what country they live in, or come from,
> you can end up with all sorts of problems. For example, try asking
> someone born anywhere in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
> Northern Ireland (that is the official name). You could then get replies
> ranging through:
>
> England
> Northern Ireland
> Scotland
> Wales
> Isle of Man
> UK
> Great Britain
> Britain

Right. So accept them all, or accept just one and link to a document that
lists the countries as you see it.

If you use a drop down list, how is the British user expected to guess
whether whether he should look for his country under "E", "B", "G", or "U"
(or something else) in a list of two hundred countries?

> Republic of Ireland
> (Or is it Eire, or Ireland, but without the North!!)

Well, according to official EU policy, even the _full_ name (long name,
diplomatic protocol name) of the country is "Ireland". I guess that's because
the Irish government wants it that way.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jose

> Only if users are nice. They should not be expected to be.

What could a not-nice user do to a drop-down list? (I am not very
webmaster-savvy, the question is at face value)

A drop down list is also one way of enforcing spelling. How would you
otherwise deal with creative spelers?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.