Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to disable the scroll bar

How to disable the scroll bar

kchayka

Greg N. wrote:

> Cookies have nothing to do with malicious code getting to execute on
> your computer.

No, but they *can* pass data to malicious programs, such as spyware.

I personally think cookies are highly abused, thus I rarely accept them.

Greg N.

kchayka wrote:

>>Cookies have nothing to do with malicious code getting to execute on
>>your computer.

> No, but they *can* pass data to malicious programs, such as spyware.

What?

I guess what you're trying to say is, "they can be stolen by malicious
programs, such as spyware".

But that is hardly an argument against keeping sensitive data on a
computer. If your computer holds sensitive data (and almost every
computer in the world does) you got to be careful not to allow malicious
code to execute on your system. In other words, the spyware is the
problem, not the data it steals.

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Roy Schestowitz wrote :

[snipped]

> Sadly, Firefox still supports the request to resize windows

Not if the user unchecks the checkbox
Tools/Options.../Content tab/Advanced button/Allow scripts to:/Move or
resize existing windows
or if the user edits his user.js file accordingly or an about:config
setting.

and change to
> full-screen mode.

Scripts can not change Firefox 1.x to be rendered in fullscreen mode.

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Chris Beall wrote :
> hon123456 wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> Sorry to post again. I want to know how to disable the sroll
>> bar of IE. In javascript or HTML.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> hon123456,
>
> See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#propdef-overflow for one way.
>
> Keep in mind, however, that a scroll bar appears because there is
> content outside the boundary of the window (or other block on the page).
> If you disable the scroll bar the user will be unable to see that content.

IMO, it's worse than this: the user will not be aware that there is more
content available, that some content is clipped. The visual presence of
a scrollbar immediately clarifies explicitly this for the user; the
absence of a scrollbar suggests implicitly that there is no more content
available to read, to access.

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me