Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Tranparency

Tranparency

NEWS

Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
page as white.

If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, NEWS
<(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:

> Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?

No. JPEGs don't support transparency.

> If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

PNG

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

David Dorward

NEWS wrote:

> Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a
> jpg?

No. The filetype doesn't support it.

> If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

PNG, GIF. (IE is shaky over alpha transparency with PNGs, I believe it is OK
with binary transparency)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

saz

In article <_umof.2263$lv3.960@clgrps12>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
> I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
> page as white.
>
> If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

It has to be a gif.

saz

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, saz1958
@nospammersexcite.com says...
> In article <_umof.2263$lv3.960@clgrps12>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
> > I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
> > page as white.
> >
> > If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?
> >

> It has to be a gif.

or a png

dorayme

> From: "NEWS" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Is there any way to make the background of an image be transparent in a jpg?
> I have been trying to do this all day and no matter what I do it shows on my
> page as white.
>
> If I cannot use a jpg which file type can I use?

If you want to use a jpg, I often do, make the background of the
jpg itself the same colour as the body of the html (or vice
versa of course). Depends on the pic, how successful you are. If
you make it up say from a psd in layers, then just ensure the
bottom bg layer is a colour you want the body to be too...
before flattening and jpging... This is "fake transparency"

The white that is showing is - apart from other things -
because you have not prepared the bg to the pic, it defaults to
white. There is no real transparency in jpg...

GIF is a format to use for transparency (also PNG but there are
conditions...)

--
dorayme

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:

> GIF is a format to use for transparency (also PNG but there are
> conditions...)

Such as?

I know IE doesn't support alpha transparency in PNGs, but GIFs don't
support alpha transparency anyway, so you haven't lost anything there.

--
Mark Parnell
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

NEWS

I tried .png it would not work, then I tried .gif it would not work. I am
using Paint Shop Pro X and Fireworks MX neither would get the job done. So I
tried MS Photo Editor and when I saved it as .png it still showed a white BG
but the .gif saved as a TRANSPARENT BG

Thanks to all who offered help

NEWS

What is Alpha Transparency. I see it in Fireworks

Also

What is Index Transparency?

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43a1ffa5$0$1386$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spouted in alt.html:
>
>> GIF is a format to use for transparency (also PNG but there are
>> conditions...)

> Such as?
>
> I know IE doesn't support alpha transparency in PNGs, but GIFs don't
> support alpha transparency anyway, so you haven't lost anything there.
>
> --
> Mark Parnell
> Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:
> http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

NEWS

Could not get .png to work no matter how hard I tried.

..gif did work though

news:(E-Mail Removed) .net...