Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > submit form via URL

submit form via URL

Shank

Assuming you know the name of the form on any given page, it is possible to
submit that form via URL as opposed to submitting via the form button? What
would be the syntax?

thanks

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Shank wrote:

> Assuming you know the name of the form on any given page, it is
> possible to submit that form via URL as opposed to submitting via the
> form button? What would be the syntax?

IMO, that's what a submit button is there for (<input type="submit"
/>). The only other way to do it, would be by a JavaScript method, but
this won't work if JavaScript is disabled or unavailable at the browser.

One method is described here:
http://www.javascript-coder.com/java...-form-submit.p
html

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

abigale_carson@yahoo.com

Here's a page that discusses just that, specifically for Java

http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPCl...ing_forms.html

--or--

http://linkfrog.net/daa5

Abigale

Shank

"Kim André Akerĝ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shank wrote:
>
>> Assuming you know the name of the form on any given page, it is
>> possible to submit that form via URL as opposed to submitting via the
>> form button? What would be the syntax?

> IMO, that's what a submit button is there for (<input type="submit"
> />). The only other way to do it, would be by a JavaScript method, but
> this won't work if JavaScript is disabled or unavailable at the browser.
>
> One method is described here:
> http://www.javascript-coder.com/java...-form-submit.p
> html
>
> --
> Kim André Akerĝ
> - (E-Mail Removed)
> (remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)

I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm trying to
design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's site. Tabbing is
not always reliable. I thought that I could simulate a submit via the URL
like: test.asp?formname=login&submit=1
Anyway, that's what I was hoping...
thanks!

Ken Sims

Hi Shank -

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:22:48 GMT, "Shank" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm trying to
>design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's site. Tabbing is
>not always reliable. I thought that I could simulate a submit via the URL
>like: test.asp?formname=login&submit=1

That will work if test.asp has GET processing (where the parameters
are passed in the URL). If test.asp only has POST processing (where
the parameters are passed in the HTTP headers), then it can't be done
with just a URL.

--
Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Shank wrote:

> I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm
> trying to design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's
> site.

Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
"macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?

Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Shank

news4mz96op7ey5.7ejmwfl46jb5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shank wrote:
>
>> I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm
>> trying to design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's
>> site.

> Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
> "macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?
>
> Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..
>
> --
> -bts
> -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

poppycock! Not even close to anything like that. Because it's not possible,
no sense in discussing.

Shank wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news4mz96op7ey5.7ejmwfl46jb5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Shank wrote:
> >
> > > I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm
> > > trying to design a macro that would submit a form on someone
> > > else's site.

> > Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
> > "macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?
> >
> > Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..

> poppycock! Not even close to anything like that. Because it's not
> possible, no sense in discussing. thanks

It IS possible. In fact, I'm even doing that as we speak to someone to
sent me a scam mail. In Norwegian, mind you! (My native tongue!)

So I decided I'd send an invoice to the company who sent me the scam
mail for services done on the site "as part of your job request" (page
testing, validation, that sort of thing). I didn't get as far as
putting stamps on the envelope when I found several news articles (from
reliable news sources), describing these people as scammers (as their
so-called address was pointing to a nonexistant mail box at an
apartment building - they did try to ring every doorbell in that
building, without a trace of the company).

By taking a quick look at their order form, I found it to be insecure
enough for me to write a quick Perl script that generates a random
e-mail address (of the example.com domain-type) and processes the order
form with a blank order, invalid credit card (I believe I set it to
"1234567890123456"). This script is run on a cron job (scheduled task)
every minute, from 4 different Linux computers. That makes 4 invalid
orders a minute, 60 times per hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I
can only imagine the face of the bastard who has to sift through over
5760 e-mails to find that 99.9% of them are completely bogus.

Serves them right to try to mess with me.

--

Shank wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news4mz96op7ey5.7ejmwfl46jb5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Shank wrote:
>>
>>> I would not have access to the code or page design in any way. I'm
>>> trying to design a macro that would submit a form on someone else's
>>> site.

>> Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
>> "macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?
>>
>> Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..

> poppycock! Not even close to anything like that. Because it's not possible,
> no sense in discussing.

Since Kim has explained that it is certainly possible, and since you
didn't volunteer any information as to the (other) reason you want to
remotely submit someone else's form, we will have to deduce that your
intentions are indeed nefarious.

Unless of course you reply and give a reasonable explanation.

> thanks

You're welcome.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Shank

"Kim André Akerĝ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shank wrote:
>

>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news4mz96op7ey5.7ejmwfl46jb5$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Ok, now you have piqued my curiosity. Why ... do you want to use a
>> > "macro" to submit a form on someone else's site?
>> >
>> > Sounds nefarious. Like spamming .. or mailbombing the owner ..

>> poppycock! Not even close to anything like that. Because it's not
>> possible, no sense in discussing. thanks

> It IS possible. In fact, I'm even doing that as we speak to someone to
> sent me a scam mail. In Norwegian, mind you! (My native tongue!)
>
> So I decided I'd send an invoice to the company who sent me the scam
> mail for services done on the site "as part of your job request" (page
> testing, validation, that sort of thing). I didn't get as far as
> putting stamps on the envelope when I found several news articles (from
> reliable news sources), describing these people as scammers (as their
> so-called address was pointing to a nonexistant mail box at an
> apartment building - they did try to ring every doorbell in that
> building, without a trace of the company).
>
> By taking a quick look at their order form, I found it to be insecure
> enough for me to write a quick Perl script that generates a random
> e-mail address (of the example.com domain-type) and processes the order
> form with a blank order, invalid credit card (I believe I set it to
> "1234567890123456"). This script is run on a cron job (scheduled task)
> every minute, from 4 different Linux computers. That makes 4 invalid
> orders a minute, 60 times per hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I
> can only imagine the face of the bastard who has to sift through over
> 5760 e-mails to find that 99.9% of them are completely bogus.
>
> Serves them right to try to mess with me.
>
> --
> Kim André Akerĝ
> - (E-Mail Removed)
> (remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)

>>Serves them right to try to mess with me<<

<LOL> OK... for all that, I can explain a bit more. I am part of a
membership that must actively participate in a website every week. Because I
don't have the time, I've written a macro that interacts with the website as
needed. However, on the login page, I can tab to the submit button and issue
and <enter> key. For whatever reason, this does not work about 20% of the
time. I don't know why. I just thought if I hard-coded a URL, it would solve
the problem.
Thanks!