Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Help with form processing script

Help with form processing script

Norliss

Hi all

I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me here as I'm pulling
my hair out on this one!

I've done a contact page for a web site I'm doing and simply wanted to
use a form processing script to be able to e-mail any submission from
this. However, I cannot for the life of me get one to work.

I've followed the instructions to the letter for Soupermail, novice.cgi
and FormMail but I can't get any of them to work. No matter what I do,
I keep receiving 500 Internal Server errors. My hosting company
(Nethosted) has told me there is a FormMail clone script already in a
cgi-sys folder which I can't access and the support guy told me he's
not sure how to configure it!

Can anyone recommend me a good proven form script with easy-peasy to
use instructions (for use on Linux servers) before I end up in an
asylum?!

Thanks in advance.

Jukka K. Korpela

Norliss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've done a contact page for a web site I'm doing and simply wanted to
> use a form processing script to be able to e-mail any submission from
> this. However, I cannot for the life of me get one to work.

Fine, stop trying. Don't make spam a bigger problem. Announce your E-mail
address if you want to be contacted. Period. Problem solved.

(You may need to do set up some E-mail filtering to filter out spam, but that
problem exists in any case, and you should not disturb people who wish to
contact you by making your spam filtering problems their problem.)

> I've followed the instructions to the letter for Soupermail, novice.cgi
> and FormMail but I can't get any of them to work.

You didn't read carefully, or you didn't read the right docs, or you are
trying to set up a CGI script without knowing the basics of it. Start with a
tutorial on it _when_ you later on perhaps have some _real_ use for
scripting.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Tha RagMan

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 10:41:02 +0000, Norliss <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>I've done a contact page for a web site I'm doing and simply wanted to
>use a form processing script to be able to e-mail any submission from
>this. However, I cannot for the life of me get one to work.

The two most common problems I find with folks trying to set up their
FormMail is they fail to ftp their *.cgi or *.pl script in ASCII text
format (Binary won't work) and/or they fail to set the proper
permissions for their scripts. Either or both of these will kill the
deal.
Tha RagMan

mbstevens

Tha RagMan wrote:

> The two most common problems I find with folks trying to set up their
> FormMail is they fail to ftp their *.cgi or *.pl script in ASCII text
> format (Binary won't work) and/or they fail to set the proper
> permissions for their scripts. Either or both of these will kill the
> deal.

The other thing I often see is that the location of perl on their own
machine is different than the one on the server. They forget to change
the shebang line, and the script won't work.

Chris Beall

Norliss wrote:

> Hi all

(snip)
> I've followed the instructions to the letter for Soupermail, novice.cgi
> and FormMail but I can't get any of them to work. No matter what I do, I
> keep receiving 500 Internal Server errors.

(snip)

Norliss,

Rather than starting with something complex, you need to establish that
you have gone through the correct steps to invoke and run a Perl program
from your server. Try uploading the following (untested... and note
that the DOCTYPE must appear on a single line) code as hello.pl, then
try to link to it. If you still get a server 500 error, there's
something basic about the upload or invocation of Perl that you need to
look at. Once that is fixed, you can move on to the more interesting
problems associated with actually getting the server to send out mail.

Chris Beall

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print <<'ENDPART1';
<head>

<title>Perl test page</title>

</head>

<h1>Perl test page</h1>
within a web browser.&nbsp;
If this message appears, the test was successful.

ENDPART1
exit ;

Norliss

On 2005-12-04 10:41:02 +0000, Norliss <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Hi all
>
> I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me here as I'm pulling
> my hair out on this one!

Thanks for all your input guys.

In the end it was a very helpful bloke at Nethosted that helped me
solve the problem. I had been CHModding the scripts before uploading
them, not when they were on the server. Laughable I'm sure to those of
you with experience....

All's well that end's well.

Thanks