Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Netscape problem

Netscape problem

Jeanne D

I have a page that looks OK in IE, but not so OK in Netscape;

http://jeannedecarolis.com/about_us_etea2.html

Where did I go wrong? Thanks a lot for any info. I ended up redoing
this page, removing the style and using the dreaded font tag to keep
the text from spilling over.

David Dorward

Jeanne D wrote:

> I have a page that looks OK in IE, but not so OK in Netscape

Netscape what? 4.x? 6/7? 8?

> http://jeannedecarolis.com/about_us_etea2.html

Uses HTML 3.2. Why? HTML 4.01 came out about a decade ago and is well
supported.

Except it doesn't /really/ use HTML 3.2 as can be checked from a simple
automated check:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht..._us_etea2.html

Abuses tables for layout.

http://www.allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

Your alt text leaves something to be desired...

Welcome to Etea Welcome to Etea Welcome to Etea
Welcome to Etea

Your list of links isn't marked up as such ...

Home About us Your first visit Massage benefits Types of massage Medical
massage Gift certificates Corporate benefits Memberships Franchise Career
Contact us Welcome to Etea

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Jeanne D

David writes:
<Netscape what? 4.x? 6/7? 8? >

7.1 - the text flows out of the table and is not justified.

Thanks for the comments.

Jonathan N. Little

Jeanne D wrote:

> I have a page that looks OK in IE, but not so OK in Netscape;
>
> http://jeannedecarolis.com/about_us_etea2.html
>
> Where did I go wrong? Thanks a lot for any info. I ended up redoing
> this page, removing the style and using the dreaded font tag to keep
> the text from spilling over.

Why are you using heading elements <H2> for paragraphs of text? <h1>
<h2> <h3>... are for just that, headings; paragraphs should be in <p>
elements...style them accordingly if you want to change from the default.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jeanne D

Jonathan writes:

Thank you, the page is looking much better and the initial problem
seems
to be fixed.

kchayka

Jeanne D wrote:
> Jonathan writes:

Please, if you are going to use that abomination known as google groups
to post to usenet, learn how to use it properly:
<URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>

Better yet, get yourself a real newsreader.

> Thank you, the page is looking much better and the initial problem
> seems to be fixed.

If you're still referring to
> http://jeannedecarolis.com/about_us_etea2.html

then perhaps you should zoom text a notch or two and see how it looks
then. They layout doesn't do so well at enlarged text sizes.

carolyn

Jeanne D wrote:

> I have a page that looks OK in IE, but not so OK in Netscape;
>
> http://jeannedecarolis.com/about_us_etea2.html
>
> Where did I go wrong? Thanks a lot for any info. I ended up redoing
> this page, removing the style and using the dreaded font tag to keep
> the text from spilling over.

I don't know how IE or netscape displays it, but konqueror seems to butcher
to borders. There are blank spaces just below About Us, and at the bottom
of the image. There is a thin white line and a height change in the ETEA
BODYWORKS & MASSAGE title - it slices the B into a | and a 3. Other than
that it looks ok on the surface.

Carolyn