Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS and Safari - Help Please

CSS and Safari - Help Please

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

> fair enough - I shan't mess with the font size (or rather leave it at
> 100%)

Not setting at all is acceptable, but purposely setting it to 100% shows
you mean it, and may help with some browsers' quirks.

> but...

> heights/widths/etc of elements.
>
> can you give an example? for instance my .mainbox is set at 595 px -
> is this acceptable?

Why set it at all? Google for: "anysizedesign" or "liquid layout"
Write it so the site works everywhere: mobile phones, PDAs, text-only
browsers...

While you're here, please read this page:

-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

jspsfo@gmail.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Why set it at all? Google for: "anysizedesign" or "liquid layout"
> Write it so the site works everywhere: mobile phones, PDAs, text-only
> browsers...
>
> While you're here, please read this page:
> http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

I thank you bts and everyone else for their time and patience. It
appears I have a lot of work (and learning) to do before a CSS version
of my page is ready.

dorayme

> From: "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Thanks very much for the info bts - I appreciate you taking the time.
>
> As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
> for browsers which have HUGE default sizes? Ideally I'd like some
> control over this.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. The short answer is: you
can't do this by simple font-size commands. You need to design
so that it is looks ok at normal browser settings and - hey! -
not so bad bigger or smaller. This is hard work. You need to
work hard and try different designs.

It is an arms race. People design sites that are hard to
read and so browser settings go up and then the sensible designs
that allow people to comfortably read stuff look childishly
huge! It is a constant battle this one and there are no easy
answers. But there is one overriding thing I will say to you
son... Come a little closer and listen: quality will win
out in the end. It is not your fault that some people or even a
lot of people have defensive browser settings to cope with bad
font-size commands by other developers. As the grandpa in
Witness said to John Book (Harrison Ford: Be careful among them
English and to Rachel, (the lovely Kelly McGillis) "Be not among
them" or words to that effect.

--
dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Why set it at all? Google for: "anysizedesign" or "liquid layout"
>> Write it so the site works everywhere: mobile phones, PDAs,
>> text-only browsers...
>>
>> While you're here, please read this page:
>> http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

> I thank you bts and everyone else for their time and patience. It
> appears I have a lot of work (and learning) to do before a CSS
> version of my page is ready.

Switching from fixed presentational markup to CSS is a .. different
mindset? Takes some bit of getting used to...

Oh, get yourself a real newsreader, and use Usenet like it supposed to
be used. <g>

question on Safari and css Pan HTML 17 08-15-2006 08:05 PM
masterpages vs. CSS or Masterpages with CSS??? help me out please! Nick Wouters ASP .Net 5 05-08-2006 10:19 AM
Safari users, help please Throw HTML 11 09-16-2005 11:20 AM
CSS Safari Problem Nick Howes HTML 4 11-07-2003 04:37 PM