Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > multiple media players in one html page

multiple media players in one html page

Geradeaus

Hello,

anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html

The movies seem to interfere with eachother, sometimes when I want the first
movie to stop, the second one stops, and after a while the browser (Firefox
or Internet explorer) crashes.

Is it not possible to have multiple players in one html page? I tried the
same with the second player in a popup window, but I had the same problem.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

David Dorward

Geradeaus wrote:

> anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
> http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html

Because I don't have the plugin, and you fail to provide an alternative
(i.e. a plain old link) that would let me open the media files in a stand
alone player (at least not without digging through the source).

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Geradeaus

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:dmhalb$51i$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geradeaus wrote:
>
>> anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
>> http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html

> Because I don't have the plugin, and you fail to provide an alternative
> (i.e. a plain old link) that would let me open the media files in a stand
> alone player (at least not without digging through the source).
>
> --

I added a param url, maybe this would help you? Beside that, opening it in a
standalone mediaplayer is irrelevant to my question...

David Dorward

Geradeaus wrote:

>>> anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
>>> http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html

>> Because I don't have the plugin, and you fail to provide an alternative
>> (i.e. a plain old link) that would let me open the media files in a stand
>> alone player (at least not without digging through the source).

> I added a param url,

That isn't a plain old link.

> maybe this would help you?

No.

> Beside that, opening it in a standalone mediaplayer is irrelevant to my
> question...

It is why it doesn't work on my system.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Geradeaus

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:dmhcoi$r9t$2$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Because I don't have the plugin, and you fail to provide an alternative
>>> (i.e. a plain old link) that would let me open the media files in a
>>> stand
>>> alone player (at least not without digging through the source).

>> I added a param url,

> That isn't a plain old link.

now it is...

>> maybe this would help you?

> No.
>
>> Beside that, opening it in a standalone mediaplayer is irrelevant to my
>> question...

> It is why it doesn't work on my system.
>
> --

hopefully you can take a look now

Chaddy2222

Geradeaus wrote:

> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:dmhcoi$r9t$2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I added a param url,

> > That isn't a plain old link.

> now it is...
>
> >> maybe this would help you?

> > No.
> >
> >> Beside that, opening it in a standalone mediaplayer is irrelevant to my
> >> question...

> > It is why it doesn't work on my system.
> >
> > --

> hopefully you can take a look now

Yeah.but it still made my web browser crap itself!!!!!!!!!!
If you really want to include video in a web page. Don't imbed it in to
the html. It's to much for most web browsers to handle unless you
compress the hell out of what you want to appear on the page. You also
need a seperate link for dial-up users such as myself.
But, I think even a Broadband conection would choke with some video
content.
Also my PC must have got confused, I run Win Media 10 on this system
and your page launched to versions of the same application!. So place
the content as a link and leave at that.

Geradeaus

"Chaddy2222" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Geradeaus wrote:
>
>> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:dmhcoi$r9t$2$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > That isn't a plain old link.

>> now it is...

>> > No.

>> > It is why it doesn't work on my system.
>> >
>> > --

>> hopefully you can take a look now

> Yeah.but it still made my web browser crap itself!!!!!!!!!!
> If you really want to include video in a web page. Don't imbed it in to
> the html. It's to much for most web browsers to handle unless you
> compress the hell out of what you want to appear on the page. You also
> need a seperate link for dial-up users such as myself.
> But, I think even a Broadband conection would choke with some video
> content.
> Also my PC must have got confused, I run Win Media 10 on this system
> and your page launched to versions of the same application!. So place
> the content as a link and leave at that.
> --
> Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc

My browser crashes too, that's part of the problem ) But placing links is
not an option, unfortunately. There must be a reason why the browser
crashes, not? The files are only 280kb and 396kb...

JDS

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:28:45 +0100, Geradeaus wrote:

> My browser crashes too, that's part of the problem ) But placing links is
> not an option, unfortunately. There must be a reason why the browser
> crashes, not? The files are only 280kb and 396kb...

Why is "placing links" not an option?

There are quite a few ways to embed video into a web page, with varying
degrees of "goodness". Personally, I like the embed-video-in-a-MM-Flash
method, if only for the fact that MM Flash player 7 is available on most
major web browsing platforms. But really, I prefer to just link directly
to the video file and let the viewer's computer do what it is set up to do.

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Geradeaus

"JDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news(E-Mail Removed) d...
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:28:45 +0100, Geradeaus wrote:
>
>> My browser crashes too, that's part of the problem ) But placing links
>> is
>> not an option, unfortunately. There must be a reason why the browser
>> crashes, not? The files are only 280kb and 396kb...

> Why is "placing links" not an option?
>
> There are quite a few ways to embed video into a web page, with varying
> degrees of "goodness". Personally, I like the embed-video-in-a-MM-Flash
> method, if only for the fact that MM Flash player 7 is available on most
> major web browsing platforms. But really, I prefer to just link directly
> to the video file and let the viewer's computer do what it is set up to
> do.
>
> --

Why not? Because customer is king... unfortunately (again). I know flash
could be an option, but that's not my question.

An option is to use embedded media players, I chose this option, but
apparently you can not use 2 mediaplayres at the same time?

cwdjrxyz@yahoo.com

Geradeaus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> anybody an idea why this doesn't work :
> http://users.telenet.be/geradeaus/avi/tmp.html
>
> The movies seem to interfere with eachother, sometimes when I want the first
> movie to stop, the second one stops, and after a while the browser (Firefox
> or Internet explorer) crashes.
>
> Is it not possible to have multiple players in one html page? I tried the
> same with the second player in a popup window, but I had the same problem.

Your page works just fine for me and both videos start automatically
nearly at once. However I am using SBC/Yahoo Pro DSL which has a
measured download rate of 2.59 Mbps, and I get at least 2.4 when
downloading from my server.

It is likely that others had problems because you have autostarted both
players, and their maximum available download speed can't handle all of
the bandwidth. The first thing you need to do is insert a parameter
into the player object to allow starting only on clicking the player
play buttons. Then you need to decide on your audience and supply
players at different download rates for at least medium DSL speed, and
dialup speed, if you wish. Video on dialup leaves very much to be
desired, even with a very good connection. See my media pages that can
be reached at http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php . If you will
check the scripted player link, you will find over 15 players embedded
on the same page, but none of them start automatically, so there is no
problem. My example is for audio, but the same principle applies for
video. You just have to increase the height of the player enough to
display the image as well as the control bar.Although I am using xhtml
served with the correct mime type application/xhtml+xml with a php
include to convert the page to html 4.01 strict for browsers such as
IE6 that can not handle this mime type, you can write the code in just
html 4.01 strict and avoid the php include, if you wish.