Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > On Mozilla composer : how to show quoted text in an HTML page ?

On Mozilla composer : how to show quoted text in an HTML page ?

Frank Olieu

Vinayak wrote:

> Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?

I'm afraid you'll have to code it manually (in "source view") and use something
like:

Quoted text goes here...

> and ... How to decide the indent / margin (in inches or chars) for
> quoted text ?

With CSS. Try this on the previous example:

<...>

You may use any of the following units: % , em , px , pt.
You could also use *external CSS*, but this is beyond the scope of your
question, I guess...

--
Venlig hilsen | Kind regards | Cordialement
Frank

Vinayak

Hi

Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?

and ... How to decide the indent / margin (in inches or chars) for
quoted text ?

Thanks in advance

Vinayak

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Vinayak wrote :

> Hi
>
> Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?

Your question is about semantic markup. Either q or blockquote will
render quoted text.

HTML 4.01
Section 9.2.2 Quotations: The BLOCKQUOTE and Q elements
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-Q
The difference being "BLOCKQUOTE is for long quotations (block-level
content) and Q is intended for short quotations (inline content) that
don't require paragraph breaks."

> and ... How to decide the indent / margin (in inches or chars) for
> quoted text ?

Either text-indent or margin

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#propdef-margin

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html...ef-text-indent

Note that browser manufacturers will render blockquote with a default
horizontal (left and right) margin.

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me

Frank Olieu

_Vinayak_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (28-11-2005 16:01):

> what should I do if I wish to
> a) blockquote and also have a border around the quoted text
> b) show the quoted text on a different colour background

Here's a sample document. Try it out...
Try to experiment with the values in style"...", to modify the borders, the
colors etc.
I don't know about Composer, but Nvu has a CSS-editor, where this can be done
more easily. (http://www.nvu.com/ free download).

<head>
<title>Test</title>
</head>
felis elit pretium dolor, in consequat nunc lectus sed est. Fusce eu nisl non
quam dapibus ultricies. Suspendisse mollis molestie elit.</p>

background-color: yellow;">

elit pretium dolor, in consequat nunc lectus sed est. Suspendisse mollis
molestie elit.</p>

Pellentesque varius aliquet mi. Donec et lacus nec tortor blandit lobortis.
Vivamus non velit.</p>

--

Gérard Talbot wrote:

> Vinayak wrote :
>

>> Hi
>>
>> Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?

> Your question is about semantic markup. Either q or blockquote will
> render quoted text.
>
> HTML 4.01
> Section 9.2.2 Quotations: The BLOCKQUOTE and Q elements
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-Q
> The difference being "BLOCKQUOTE is for long quotations (block-level
> content) and Q is intended for short quotations (inline content) that
> don't require paragraph breaks."
>

>> and ... How to decide the indent / margin (in inches or chars) for
>> quoted text ?
>>

> Either text-indent or margin
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#propdef-margin
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html...ef-text-indent
>
> Note that browser manufacturers will render blockquote with a default
> horizontal (left and right) margin.
>
> Gérard
> --
> remove blah to email me

Thanks to all those who answered on this thread

blogger doesn't seem to accept <blockquote> at least it just indents the
para and does not show the quoted text in different background

I shall try <Q> , </Q> an revert

Regards

Vinayak

Frank Olieu wrote:

> Vinayak wrote:
>

>>Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?
>>

> I'm afraid you'll have to code it manually (in "source view") and use something
> like:

> Quoted text goes here...

thanks

what should I do if I wish to
a) blockquote and also have a border around the quoted text
b) show the quoted text on a different colour background

TIA