Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Liquid box width

Liquid box width

Mr Perplexed

Hi,

I want to create a box containing some content on my web page. I do not
want the box to be the full width of the page but neither do I want to
specify the width of the box (in ems or pixels or percentage). Instead
I want the box to grow to fit the width of the content. I also want the
box to be centered.

If I use a div and leave the width undefined or set it to auto, the div
expands to the full width of its containing element - the page. To make
the div less than the full page width I have to set an width in pixels
or %, which means the div width does not flow tightly round its
content.

If I float the div (float:left), ta-daam, it now magically sets its
width correctly (according to its content), but now it's a pain in the
arse to center it. I also have to add an element below it to clear the
float. Similarly, setting position:absolute makes the width fluid but
destroys the layout of the rest of the page.

So I'm stumped. The solution I am using at the moment is a <gasp> one
cell table wrapped around my content box div. Setting the table style
to margin:0 auto means the table gets centered on the page, and because
it's a table (now I remember why we loved these things) it wraps itself
fluidly around whatever content it contains. But obviously tables are
evil and must be banished, so if anyone has any alternative ideas I'd
love to hear them.

Thanks

Chris Beall

Mr Perplexed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to create a box containing some content on my web page. I do not
> want the box to be the full width of the page but neither do I want to
> specify the width of the box (in ems or pixels or percentage). Instead
> I want the box to grow to fit the width of the content. I also want the
> box to be centered.
>
> If I use a div and leave the width undefined or set it to auto, the div
> expands to the full width of its containing element - the page. To make
> the div less than the full page width I have to set an width in pixels
> or %, which means the div width does not flow tightly round its
> content.
>
> If I float the div (float:left), ta-daam, it now magically sets its
> width correctly (according to its content), but now it's a pain in the
> arse to center it. I also have to add an element below it to clear the
> float. Similarly, setting position:absolute makes the width fluid but
> destroys the layout of the rest of the page.
>
> So I'm stumped. The solution I am using at the moment is a <gasp> one
> cell table wrapped around my content box div. Setting the table style
> to margin:0 auto means the table gets centered on the page, and because
> it's a table (now I remember why we loved these things) it wraps itself
> fluidly around whatever content it contains. But obviously tables are
> evil and must be banished, so if anyone has any alternative ideas I'd
> love to hear them.
>
> Thanks

Mr. P,

Try <div style="display: table">

Chris Beall

Mr Perplexed

Nice idea Chris. Unfortunately it's not cross-browser compatible. Works
on Firefox, not on IE6 though (suprise suprise).

Barbara de Zoete

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:09:54 +0100, Mr Perplexed <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Nice idea Chris.

What is a nice idea?

> Unfortunately it's not cross-browser compatible.

What isn't?

> Works
> on Firefox, not on IE6 though (suprise suprise).

What does?

Please quote properly:
<URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>

I just don't understand you google.group guys. Had you shown any interest
in this group or in usenet newsgroups in general, you would have noticed
how participants post and reply. At least you would have come across a
recent post showing the above URL.
For me this is the end for google.groups now. Quite honestly, I've had it
with you lot. Because of the hit and run nature of your participating in
newsgroups, you just miss what's relevant for communications. I dislike
that behaviour more and more now. So, for my good, any post containing the
header groups.google.com is from now on kill filed.

Well done, Mr Perplexed. You're maybe not the cause all by yourself, but
certainly the trigger.

hand

Blinky the Shark

Barbara de Zoete wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:09:54 +0100, Mr Perplexed
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Nice idea Chris.

> What is a nice idea?
>
>> Unfortunately it's not cross-browser compatible.

> What isn't?
>
>> Works
>> on Firefox, not on IE6 though (suprise suprise).

> What does?
>
> Please quote properly:
> <URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
>
> I just don't understand you google.group guys. Had you shown any
> interest in this group or in usenet newsgroups in general, you
> would have noticed how participants post and reply. At least
> you would have come across a recent post showing the above URL.
> For me this is the end for google.groups now. Quite honestly,
> I've had it with you lot. Because of the hit and run nature of
> your participating in newsgroups, you just miss what's relevant
> for communications. I dislike that behaviour more and more now.
> So, for my good, any post containing the header
> groups.google.com is from now on kill filed.
>
> Well done, Mr Perplexed. You're maybe not the cause all by
> yourself, but certainly the trigger.

Barbara, may I quote that passage on the page shown in my sig, as
an "other voices" insert, the way I have done with Ohmster's and
Ben's comments (also with permission)? I'd elide the references
to the URL you mantion and the paragraph that specifically
addresses Mr Perplexed by name, to keep it more general. Thus,
I'd use:

<q>

I just don't understand you google.group guys. Had you shown any
interest in this group or in usenet newsgroups in general, you
would have noticed how participants post and reply.... For me
this is the end for google.groups now. Quite honestly, I've had it
with you lot. Because of the hit and run nature of your
participating in newsgroups, you just miss what's relevant
for communications. I dislike that behaviour more and more now.
So, for my good, any post containing the header groups.google.com
is from now on kill filed.

</q>

With your permission, I would put it up, and give you credit as I
did the others (unless you'd rather it be attributed to "another
Usenet participant".

Thanks for your consideration. I like it because it concisely
addresses G2 poster issues and - unlike the others - addresses
them *for* a G2 poster.

--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.

Barbara de Zoete

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:17:12 +0100, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
>
>> I just don't understand you google.group guys. Had you shown any
>> interest in this group or in usenet newsgroups in general, you
>> would have noticed how participants post and reply. At least
>> you would have come across a recent post showing the above URL.
>> For me this is the end for google.groups now. Quite honestly,
>> I've had it with you lot. Because of the hit and run nature of
>> your participating in newsgroups, you just miss what's relevant
>> for communications. I dislike that behaviour more and more now.
>> So, for my good, any post containing the header
>> groups.google.com is from now on kill filed.
>>

> Barbara, may I quote that passage on the page shown in my sig, as
> an "other voices" insert, the way I have done with Ohmster's and
> Ben's comments (also with permission)?
> [ ... ]
> With your permission, I would put it up, and give you credit as I
> did the others (unless you'd rather it be attributed to "another
> Usenet participant".

By all means, you're welcome to quote it. I have no problem with
attributing it to my name.

Travis Newbury

"Barbara de Zoete" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> For me this is the end for google.groups now. Quite honestly,
> I've had it with you lot. Because of the hit and run nature of
> your participating in newsgroups, you just miss what's relevant
> for communications. I dislike that behaviour more and more now.
> So, for my good, any post containing the header
> groups.google.com is from now on kill filed.

Sounds like menopause to me...

--
-=tn=-

Blinky the Shark

Barbara de Zoete wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:17:12 +0100, Blinky the Shark

<snippage>

Done, and thank you. http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

--

Travis Newbury wrote:

> "Barbara de Zoete" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> For me this is the end for google.groups now. Quite honestly,
>> I've had it with you lot. Because of the hit and run nature of
>> your participating in newsgroups, you just miss what's relevant
>> for communications. I dislike that behaviour more and more now.
>> So, for my good, any post containing the header
>> groups.google.com is from now on kill filed.
>>

> Sounds like menopause to me...

Sounds like a solution to me.

--

Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> Sounds like menopause to me...

> Sounds like a solution to me.

Everyone gets what they want out of usenet.

--
-=tn=-