Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > All My FAQs revisited

All My FAQs revisited

Alan J. Flavell

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Kim Andr?Aker? wrote:

> Toby Inkster wrote:
>
> > Greg N. wrote:
> >
> > > and discourage the use of all others.

> > I disagree. Instead use a 301 redirect.

Do both!

> Good point. I've set up a rewrite that redirects all requests on the
> .org domain (with 301)

Good call.

> to the .net domain.

It's not my domain to choose, so I won't say anything one way or the
other about your choice of primary name; but be sure to promote the
one that you chose, and keep quiet about the others. That way,
they'll capture any strays who hit the alternative sitenames, but
won't unnecessarily dilute the site's ranking, as I understand it.

Duende

On 24 Nov 2005 Charles Sweeney wrote in alt.www.webmaster

>> http://allmyfaqs.net/
>>
>> I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that one),

> and discourage the use of all others.
>
> I'd say don't bother doing anything. Nobody reads it.

What cave you been living in?

--
D?

Stan Brown

Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:10:08 +0100 from Greg N. <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> By the way, in terms of Google, there are 4 domains we're dealing with:
>
> http://allmyfaqs.net/
> http://allmyfaqs.org/
> http://www.allmyfaqs.net/
> http://www.allmyfaqs.org/
>
> I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that one), and
> discourage the use of all others.

Is there any harm to publicizing the canonical one, and having the
server send out redirects for the others? IIRC, that will be search-
engine friendly.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/200..._wont_help_you

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Duende quothed:

> On 24 Nov 2005 Charles Sweeney wrote in alt.www.webmaster
>
> >> http://allmyfaqs.net/
> >>
> >> I'd say, pick one of the four, promote that one (and only that one),

> > and discourage the use of all others.
> >
> > I'd say don't bother doing anything. Nobody reads it.

> What cave you been living in?

Be kind! My first house was a cave upon whose walls I painted many a
centerfold.

--
Neredbojias

John Bokma

Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> With neither quill nor qualm, Duende quothed:
>
>> On 24 Nov 2005 Charles Sweeney wrote in alt.www.webmaster

>> > and discourage the use of all others.
>> >
>> > I'd say don't bother doing anything. Nobody reads it.

>> What cave you been living in?

> Be kind! My first house was a cave upon whose walls I painted many a
> centerfold.

So it's you I have to thank :-p

--
John Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
or have them custom made

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias wrote:

> With neither quill nor qualm, Duende quothed:
>
>> On 24 Nov 2005 Charles Sweeney wrote in alt.www.webmaster

>> > I'd say don't bother doing anything. Nobody reads it.

>> What cave you been living in?

> Be kind! My first house was a cave upon whose walls I painted
> many a centerfold.

And I didn't even know one could fold stone. Sometimes I feel so
out of touch.

--
Blinky T. "the 12-volume cases must've weighed a ton" Shark
Killing all Google Groups posts.

John Bokma

Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> With neither quill nor qualm, Duende quothed:
>>
>>> On 24 Nov 2005 Charles Sweeney wrote in alt.www.webmaster

>>> What cave you been living in?

>> Be kind! My first house was a cave upon whose walls I painted
>> many a centerfold.

> And I didn't even know one could fold stone.

Yeah, sadly stone nowadays isn't made like back in the old days, *sigh*

You should have seen the origami people made out of granite.

With their bare hands, mind.

--

John Bokma wrote:

> Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Neredbojias wrote:
>>
>>> With neither quill nor qualm, Duende quothed:

>>> Be kind! My first house was a cave upon whose walls I painted
>>> many a centerfold.

>> And I didn't even know one could fold stone.

> Yeah, sadly stone nowadays isn't made like back in the old days,
> *sigh*
>
> You should have seen the origami people made out of granite.

Believe it or not, I was thinking about stone origami when I wrote
my reply.

> With their bare hands, mind.

They were a hardy lot.

--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.
http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Stewart Gordon

Kim André Akerĝ wrote:
> Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
> Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.
>
> The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
> the one you feel most comfortable with.
>
> http://allmyfaqs.net/
> http://allmyfaqs.org/
>
> I had to make a few changes to make it work somewhat properly (it's now
> read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net domain above).

<snip>

Why is this? Are you still working on getting the edit facility to work
properly, or what?

Stewart.

--

the 'group where everyone may benefit.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Stewart Gordon wrote:

> Kim André Akerĝ wrote:
> > Yesterday, I received the backup files of AllMyFAQs.com from Jerry
> > Muelver himself, just so I could get a version up and running.
> >
> > The following two URLs point to the exact same location, so just use
> > the one you feel most comfortable with.
> >
> > http://allmyfaqs.net/
> > http://allmyfaqs.org/
> >
> > I had to make a few changes to make it work somewhat properly (it's
> > now read-only, and the "page index" link points to the .net domain
> > above).

> <snip>
>
> Why is this? Are you still working on getting the edit facility to
> work properly, or what?

According to the Internet Wayback Machine, the site hasn't been updated
since January 2003, so I thought it wasn't necessary to enable the
editing module quite yet. The way I see it, the integrity of the
current site is fine as it is. There aren't many corrections needed to
be done, and I might as well make these changes myself based on input
from visitors and newsgroup posters (with fact-checking, of course).

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)