Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Formatting links

Reply
Thread Tools

Formatting links

 
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005
Neredbojias wrote:
....
> I made it up (-not saying it wasn't made-up before, but I never saw it
> if so.) As Jonathan suggested, the "qualm" means a feeling of doubt or
> misgivings about something.


It has been used often. Google it, and you will see. (I even seem to
recall coming across it in my childhood, somewhere.)

My question didn't so much have to do with 'qualm' - that I understood, as
all of the meanings are close enough. It is the 'quill' part that really
doesn't fit, as far as I can see. The least colloquial translation I can
think of is "With neither pausing to write it out, nor anticipations of
regretting his hasty reply, Mr. X quoted..." That is my best guess as to
how 'quill' should be filled in, yet the fact is that it was written down,
where it says it wasn't... See what I mean, now? That's why I asked the
question. It felt like I am missing something, and I wanted to know what I
was missing. ???

David
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, David quothed:

> Neredbojias wrote:
> ...
> > I made it up (-not saying it wasn't made-up before, but I never saw it
> > if so.) As Jonathan suggested, the "qualm" means a feeling of doubt or
> > misgivings about something.

>
> It has been used often. Google it, and you will see. (I even seem to
> recall coming across it in my childhood, somewhere.)
>
> My question didn't so much have to do with 'qualm' - that I understood, as
> all of the meanings are close enough. It is the 'quill' part that really
> doesn't fit, as far as I can see. The least colloquial translation I can
> think of is "With neither pausing to write it out, nor anticipations of
> regretting his hasty reply, Mr. X quoted..." That is my best guess as to
> how 'quill' should be filled in, yet the fact is that it was written down,
> where it says it wasn't... See what I mean, now? That's why I asked the
> question. It felt like I am missing something, and I wanted to know what I
> was missing. ???


A more literal translation of what _I_ meant might be, "With neither pen
nor doubt..." The text is "written down", yes, but not with a
"classical" writing instrument per se. Anyway, it's just an
alliterative salutation of no special significance.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

> > From: Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)>

>
> > With neither quill nor qualm, David quothed:
> >
> >> Neredbojias wrote:
> >>> With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:
> >>
> >> Where did the term 'quill nor qualm' originate from? It seems to literally
> >> indicate 'Without using a pen or being nauseated...', and that, in a way,
> >> does not make sense, but I recall coming across the phrase before...

> >
> > I made it up (-not saying it wasn't made-up before, but I never saw it
> > if so.) As Jonathan suggested, the "qualm" means a feeling of doubt or
> > misgivings about something.
> >

>
>
> No, no. A qualm is an astringent, highly intoxicating drink.


I think you're thinking of "balm".

> Occasionally, people do not have any in order to appear sharper
> than usual when addressing bods at alt.html.


Yes but some people actually appear sharper when they're embalmed.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>
> > <a href="welcome.html" style="display:block"><h2>Welcome</h2></a>

>
> A is still inline, so can't contain an H2 element. (Just because you've
> made it *look* like it's a block element, doesn't mean it really *is* a
> block element!)


Why not? An inline element styled to "look like" a block element takes
block attributes, doesn't it?

I may not be correct in this analysis, but if the only support you have
for your view is that the css validator doesn't validate it, that means
nothing. The w3c css validator itself is broken and frequently gives
the wrong result for what is and is not valid css.

>
> If you want a valid way of nesting an H2 element within an A element, both
> of these will validate:
>
> <a><object><h2>Hello</h2></object></a>
>
> <a><noscript><h2>World</h2></noscript></a>
>
> Though neither is likely to do what the OP wants.
>
>


--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Pugh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005
Neredbojias wrote:
> With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:
> > Neredbojias wrote:
> >
> > > <a href="welcome.html" style="display:block"><h2>Welcome</h2></a>

> >
> > A is still inline, so can't contain an H2 element. (Just because you've
> > made it *look* like it's a block element, doesn't mean it really *is* a
> > block element!)

>
> Why not? An inline element styled to "look like" a block element takes
> block attributes, doesn't it?


No, it takes style properties as per a block level element but as far
as HTML is concerned it is still an inline element.

Consider,
@media screen {a {display: block;}}
@media print {a {display: inline;}}

Same HTML. Is it a block on screen but inline when printed? Or is it
just an inline element that looks like a block on screen and inline
when printed?

CSS does not change the rules of HTML. In HTML it is forbidden to nest
a block element inside an inline element and so long as it's HTML that
doesn't change.

> I may not be correct in this analysis, but if the only support you have
> for your view is that the css validator doesn't validate it, that means
> nothing. The w3c css validator itself is broken and frequently gives
> the wrong result for what is and is not valid css.


CSS 'validation' has nothing to do with this. It's invalid HTML.

Steve

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:12:39 -0700, Neredbojias
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why not? An inline element styled to "look like" a block element takes
>block attributes, doesn't it?


No. The DTD nesting rules are fixed and unchangeable. The CSS display
property merely controls how they're displayed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
> From: Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> A more literal translation of what _I_ meant might be, "With neither pen
> nor doubt..." The text is "written down", yes, but not with a
> "classical" writing instrument per se. Anyway, it's just an
> alliterative salutation of no special significance.


This won't do Boji... It is beyond defence now...

--
dorayme

 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

> > From: Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >
> > A more literal translation of what _I_ meant might be, "With neither pen
> > nor doubt..." The text is "written down", yes, but not with a
> > "classical" writing instrument per se. Anyway, it's just an
> > alliterative salutation of no special significance.

>
> This won't do Boji... It is beyond defence now...


Well one can always climb de fence if de person wants to.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, Steve Pugh quothed:

> Neredbojias wrote:
> > With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:
> > > Neredbojias wrote:
> > >
> > > > <a href="welcome.html" style="display:block"><h2>Welcome</h2></a>
> > >
> > > A is still inline, so can't contain an H2 element. (Just because you've
> > > made it *look* like it's a block element, doesn't mean it really *is* a
> > > block element!)

> >
> > Why not? An inline element styled to "look like" a block element takes
> > block attributes, doesn't it?

>
> No, it takes style properties as per a block level element but as far
> as HTML is concerned it is still an inline element.
>
> Consider,
> @media screen {a {display: block;}}
> @media print {a {display: inline;}}
>
> Same HTML. Is it a block on screen but inline when printed? Or is it
> just an inline element that looks like a block on screen and inline
> when printed?
>
> CSS does not change the rules of HTML. In HTML it is forbidden to nest
> a block element inside an inline element and so long as it's HTML that
> doesn't change.
>
> > I may not be correct in this analysis, but if the only support you have
> > for your view is that the css validator doesn't validate it, that means
> > nothing. The w3c css validator itself is broken and frequently gives
> > the wrong result for what is and is not valid css.

>
> CSS 'validation' has nothing to do with this. It's invalid HTML.


Well, you and Andy seem to agree so I'll defer to your expertise. I
actually thought 'block' and 'inline' were css creations not html so
maybe that gives me a little more perspective regarding why css is so
obstreperous.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, Andy Dingley quothed:

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:12:39 -0700, Neredbojias
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Why not? An inline element styled to "look like" a block element takes
> >block attributes, doesn't it?

>
> No. The DTD nesting rules are fixed and unchangeable. The CSS display
> property merely controls how they're displayed.


Okay, I may not like it, but I see your point.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon Kindle formatting - helpful links and advice Mountaineer HTML 0 05-14-2011 09:19 PM
Make A Shorter Link - no new links accepted, old links still work. why? Computer Support 7 01-02-2007 09:45 PM
Site Links and Physical WAN Links =?Utf-8?B?RW5mb1BhdWw=?= MCSE 2 03-22-2005 09:23 AM
Exchange Links < Western Cartoon Cards > Exchange Links www.westerncartooncards.ca HTML 2 07-12-2004 07:59 PM
Need formatting options menu for formatting hard drive Mark T. Computer Support 3 11-24-2003 11:50 PM



Advertisments