Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Help with EMBEDDED OBJECT or streaming a VIDEO in general

Help with EMBEDDED OBJECT or streaming a VIDEO in general

Hello

Hello.

I have a big WMV file that I am streaming. However, I need to be able to
start to stream from different time offsets like from the 12min into the
movie (kind of like chapers on DVD). Is there a way to specify in the
Embedded Object such a way that the streaming would start not from the
beginning of the file but from some other part?

Do you know of any other alternatives, ways I can accomplish it? Maybe with
file coded into QuickTime or something?

Thank you.

Travis Newbury

"Hello" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> I have a big WMV file that I am streaming.

Streaming or progressive downloading? to streem it you need a
special server.

> However, I need to be
> able to start to stream from different time offsets like from
> the 12min into the movie (kind of like chapers on DVD). Is there
> a way to specify in the Embedded Object such a way that the
> streaming would start not from the beginning of the file but
> from some other part?

Yes. How you do it depends on the medium you are presenting. And
not all processes will work on all browsers.

> Do you know of any other alternatives, ways I can accomplish it?
> Maybe with file coded into QuickTime or something?

The most reliable way to do this is with Flash and Flash video
(FLV) it works in almost every browser, on pda's and cell phones.
and can even penatrate firewalls that block other video.

On the up side most people do have the ability to view flash. On
the down side, at any given moment in time I would _guess_ the
number of people that have it turned off is about the same at with
Javascript.

--
-=tn=-