Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > can we stop using activex

can we stop using activex

code_wrong

can we stop using activex?
Firefox doesn't use activex but we can still see flash, shockwave, movie
files etc etc ... so ..
can we stop using activex all together?? ..as it is a pain in the neck ..
it's nearly always blocked (sensibly enough) by sys admins ...

for example I have this on a page to embed a java applet:

<object
classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"

Toby Inkster

code_wrong wrote:

> can we stop using activex?

I can't. But that's because I never started.

> for example I have this on a page to embed a java applet:

That seems a pretty dumb way to embed a Java applet. Use the <applet>
element.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

code_wrong

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk...
> code_wrong wrote:
>
>> can we stop using activex?

> I can't. But that's because I never started.
>
>> for example I have this on a page to embed a java applet:

> That seems a pretty dumb way to embed a Java applet. Use the <applet>
> element.

is not <object> the w3c way?
please be kind and illustrate the way you would do it::

Toby Inkster

code_wrong wrote:

> is not <object> the w3c way?

The W3C has deprecated APPLET, but it's still part of HTML 4.01
Transitional and XHTML 1.0 Transitional, and offers the best
backwards-compatibility of any method of including Java applets.

> please be kind and illustrate the way you would do it::

Like this:

<APPLET code="AudioItem" width="15" height="15">
<PARAM name="snd" value="Hello.au|Welcome.au">
Java applet that plays a welcoming sound.
</APPLET>

Using OBJECT it would be:

<OBJECT codetype="application/java"
classid="AudioItem"
width="15" height="15">
<PARAM name="snd" value="Hello.au|Welcome.au">
Java applet that plays a welcoming sound.
</OBJECT>

But the first example will work in Netscape 2+ whereas the second requires
6.x.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

cwdjrxyz@yahoo.com

Toby Inkster wrote:
> code_wrong wrote:
>
> > is not <object> the w3c way?

> The W3C has deprecated APPLET, but it's still part of HTML 4.01
> Transitional and XHTML 1.0 Transitional, and offers the best
> backwards-compatibility of any method of including Java applets.
>
> > please be kind and illustrate the way you would do it::

> Like this:
>
> <APPLET code="AudioItem" width="15" height="15">
> <PARAM name="snd" value="Hello.au|Welcome.au">
> Java applet that plays a welcoming sound.
> </APPLET>
>
> Using OBJECT it would be:
>
> <OBJECT codetype="application/java"
> classid="AudioItem"
> width="15" height="15">
> <PARAM name="snd" value="Hello.au|Welcome.au">
> Java applet that plays a welcoming sound.
> </OBJECT>
>
> But the first example will work in Netscape 2+ whereas the second requires
> 6.x.

The ActiveX object given appears to be correct if you want to use AX.
An AX object, if written properly, will validate at the W3C. To avoid
problems when sites do not support AX for whatever reason, many
commercial sites add an embed within the AX object. When AX is not
supported, the embed path within the AX object is taken instead. This
usually works, but it gives the W3C validator fits. However in many
cases you can write an ordinary object in a special way so that IE6 and
other recent browsers work without calling for the special AX id. This
is what I do for audio and video on the WMP, and it even validates as
xhtml 1.1 when served with the proper mime type application/xhtml+xml.
I do not know if this approach also works for Java. AX often allows
more control of the object, but ordinary objects, written in the
correct way, often will accept the most needed paramaters for embedding
a WMP, for example, in a web page. It is interesting that the most
recent Opera browser will accept a pure AX object without another path
for the WMP. Opera most likely is not supporting AX as such, given
their attitude toward it. They most likely are using some code
work-around when only a pure AX object is met. But when you are using
Java, even if you overcome the AX problem, there are still some who
have Java turned off.

Travis Newbury

code_wrong wrote:
> can we stop using activex?

You can stop using it any time you like. There are plenty of other
options out there. ESPECIALLY is you are doing video or audio.

> Firefox doesn't use activex but we can still see flash, shockwave, movie
> files etc etc ... so ..

Actually FireFox DOES support ActiveX if it is available. It also
supports limited live connect, or that ability for javascript to "talk"
to the activeX controls on the page. (A rather nice feature is you get
to choose which activeX controls work)

> can we stop using activex all together??

Again, up to you. Can you accomplish the task without it? Then by all
means lose it.

> ..as it is a pain in the neck ..

You can not debate an opinion. There is no account for taste.

> it's nearly always blocked (sensibly enough) by sys admins ...

I have never been to a company that blocked activeX. As a matter of
fact many large corporation require it with their intranet
applications.

ActiveX is just a technology. It is completely up to you if you want
to use it or not.

--
-=tn=-

code_wrong

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> code_wrong wrote:
>> can we stop using activex?

> You can stop using it any time you like. There are plenty of other
> options out there. ESPECIALLY is you are doing video or audio.
>
>> Firefox doesn't use activex but we can still see flash, shockwave, movie
>> files etc etc ... so ..

> Actually FireFox DOES support ActiveX if it is available. It also
> supports limited live connect, or that ability for javascript to "talk"
> to the activeX controls on the page. (A rather nice feature is you get
> to choose which activeX controls work)
>
>> can we stop using activex all together??

> Again, up to you. Can you accomplish the task without it? Then by all
> means lose it.
>
>> ..as it is a pain in the neck ..

> You can not debate an opinion. There is no account for taste.
>
>> it's nearly always blocked (sensibly enough) by sys admins ...

> I have never been to a company that blocked activeX. As a matter of
> fact many large corporation require it with their intranet
> applications.
>
> ActiveX is just a technology. It is completely up to you if you want
> to use it or not.

which other technologies allows web sites to mess around with files and
settings on the local machine?

The networks I have been looking at are school networks - where, if the user
can download/install something she shouldn't, she will. I am not entirely
sure if the activex is being blocked or if the web object itself is being
blocked. (eg a shockwave object). but if we remove methods which use the
security blackspot that is acivex then. that at least removes one variable
in the question: - why can't pupils download educational web objects? -
shockwave, Java, etc.
cheers
cw

Travis Newbury

code_wrong wrote:

> > ActiveX is just a technology. It is completely up to you if you want
> > to use it or not.

> which other technologies allows web sites to mess around with files and
> settings on the local machine?

That was exactly WHY activX was created. To give special abilities to
web pages and web applications. At the time of it's creation, that was
a good thing and gave some awesome abilities to intranets and websites.

Sadly Microsoft did not anticipate the backlash and the hackers.

To quote Reagan "Just because it did not work (as planned), does not
mean it was a bad idea."

Again, arguing over an opinion is a complete waste of time.

--
-=tn=-

code_wrong

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk...
> code_wrong wrote:
>
>> is not <object> the w3c way?

> The W3C has deprecated APPLET, but it's still part of HTML 4.01
> Transitional and XHTML 1.0 Transitional, and offers the best
> backwards-compatibility of any method of including Java applets.
>
>> please be kind and illustrate the way you would do it::

> Like this:
>
> <APPLET code="AudioItem" width="15" height="15">
> <PARAM name="snd" value="Hello.au|Welcome.au">
> Java applet that plays a welcoming sound.
> </APPLET>
>
> Using OBJECT it would be:
>
> <OBJECT codetype="application/java"
> classid="AudioItem"
> width="15" height="15">
> <PARAM name="snd" value="Hello.au|Welcome.au">
> Java applet that plays a welcoming sound.
> </OBJECT>
>
> But the first example will work in Netscape 2+ whereas the second requires
> 6.x.

well for some reason I could not get the object method to work in IE using
the example above ...
When I used applet it worked fine .... this makes me wonder why all the
books .. the w3c .. sun.com trying to push the object method .. of the
three books I have here only one mentions the APPLET element .. I think the
other two are too busy trying to promote the latest standard .. infuriating
to waste time on this simple operation

Stan McCann

Toby Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:vf5n43-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk:

> code_wrong wrote:
>
>> can we stop using activex?

> I can't. But that's because I never started.

Lucky you. I'd never used it until preparing for a class I'm teaching
this semester. The book has an on-line component using ... You guessed
it. I don't like it and some of my students have had difficulty with
it because even the firewall in SP2 doesn't like it. This is a novice
level course; some of my students had never used a computer. And first
thing we do is to teach them to open their computer to the world and
have to field all of the calls of "I can't get it to work."

About half of my students are now using some simple PHP pages I put
together for them.

>> for example I have this on a page to embed a java applet:

> That seems a pretty dumb way to embed a Java applet. Use the <applet>
> element.

You can object, embed, or applet all you want; my only java is in my
cup.

http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.