Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > This is bizarre html behaviour...

This is bizarre html behaviour...

Pascal Herczog

I've got a simple html file (fileA), with a table in which each cell
contains a hyperlink to a standard text (.txt) file.

The page consists of 2 frames, with fileA in the top frame. In the <head> of
fileA is

<base target="bottom">

to direct the result of clicking on each hyperlink to the bottom frame.

On my WinXP desktop, whether loading this from my C: drive, or from my ISP
webspace, it works fine for every text file within IE.

But what I'm finding on my Win2k laptop is that some text files do indeed
get printed to the bottom frame, but others cause the IE browser to ask
whether to open the file, download (save) it or cancel. I can see absolutely
no difference in the way in which each .txt file is defined in the
hyperlink. I can only assume that somehow, the content of a .txt file cause
this behaviour. But WHY? (and can I force it to treat it as normal text?)

Cheers,
Pascal

Toby Inkster

Pascal Herczog wrote:

> I can only assume that somehow, the content of a .txt file cause
> this behaviour. But WHY? (and can I force it to treat it as normal text?)

More likely it's the Content-Type HTTP header.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Pascal Herczog

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk...
> Pascal Herczog wrote:
>
>> I can only assume that somehow, the content of a .txt file cause
>> this behaviour. But WHY? (and can I force it to treat it as normal text?)

> More likely it's the Content-Type HTTP header.

Not sure I understand, as the text files are just plain text, and don't
contain any specific html code.

Pascal

Toby Inkster

Pascal Herczog wrote:

> Not sure I understand, as the text files are just plain text, and don't
> contain any specific html code.

If they are sent by HTTP, they will be sent with an HTTP header. This
header contains a "Content-Type" line which tells the browser what type of
file it's dealing with. If this line is wrong, the browser may act
strangely.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Pascal Herczog

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk...
> Pascal Herczog wrote:
>
>> Not sure I understand, as the text files are just plain text, and don't
>> contain any specific html code.

> If they are sent by HTTP, they will be sent with an HTTP header. This
> header contains a "Content-Type" line which tells the browser what type of
> file it's dealing with. If this line is wrong, the browser may act
> strangely.

Ok, so I've simply uploaded these text files to my webspace, how can I
ensure that when they are sent to the user they are forced to be interpreted
as ordinary text files, destined for the page frame that I've prescibed?

Or can I put something in the <a href...=File.txt> line to do this?

Pascal.

Toby Inkster

Pascal Herczog wrote:

> Ok, so I've simply uploaded these text files to my webspace, how can I
> ensure that when they are sent to the user they are forced to be interpreted
> as ordinary text files, destined for the page frame that I've prescibed?

Try:
http://www.rexswain.com/httpview.html

to view your HTTP headers.

--