Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Web Site Statistics

Web Site Statistics

Dung Ping

I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is for
academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a puzzling
phenomenon. You can open the following page:

http://pinyinology.com/webstat/usage_200511.html

and move down to the table of 'Top 10 of 520 Total Sites by KBytes'.
Please note the number '520' may vary, depending on the time when the
page is opened.

On the first two rows of the table, you can see numbers of hits and
bytes, but 0 visits. I don't think such situation is possible. If
there are hits, there must be visits, or at least one visit.

Therefore, I think that something is wrong with the statistics. I've
sent inquiring email to the server administrator, but got no reply yet.
I've heard the statistics were managed by a third page, so the
administrator may not know it well.

Thanks in advance for help.

Dung Ping

Hywel Jenkins

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is for
> academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a puzzling
> phenomenon. You can open the following page:
>
> http://pinyinology.com/webstat/usage_200511.html

Authentication required. Neat.

--

Hywel
http://kibo.org.uk/

Dung Ping

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is for
> > academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a puzzling
> > phenomenon. You can open the following page:
> >
> > http://pinyinology.com/webstat/usage_200511.html

> Authentication required. Neat.

Sorry. I got that URL after entering my user ID and password, but
didn't realize that logging on was still required to open it. So far I
have found no way to display the page directly without giving
information for authentication. My inquiry must stop.

Dung Ping

> --
>
> Hywel
> http://kibo.org.uk/

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Dung Ping wrote:

> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is
> > > for academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a
> > > puzzling phenomenon. You can open the following page:
> > >
> > > http://pinyinology.com/webstat/usage_200511.html

> > Authentication required. Neat.

> Sorry. I got that URL after entering my user ID and password, but
> didn't realize that logging on was still required to open it. So far
> I have found no way to display the page directly without giving
> information for authentication. My inquiry must stop.

Just save the page as a HTML page and upload it to a location that
doesn't require a username/password to view it.

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- (E-Mail Removed)

Dung Ping

Kim André Akerĝ wrote:

> Just save the page as a HTML page and upload it to a location that
> doesn't require a username/password to view it.

Good Idea. Following is my original message and the saved page:

I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is for
academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a puzzling
phenomenon. You can open the following page:

http://www.pinyinology.com/statistics.html

and move down to the table of 'Top 10 of 520 Total Sites by KBytes'.
Please note the numbers '10' and '520' may vary, depending on the time
when the
page is opened.

On the first two rows of the table, you can see numbers of hits and
bytes, but 0 visits. I don't think such situation is possible. If
there are hits, there must be visits, or at least one visit.

Therefore, I think that something is wrong with the statistics. I've
sent inquiring email to the server administrator, but got no reply yet.

I've heard the statistics were managed by a third page, so the
administrator may not know it well.

Thanks in advance for help.

Dung Ping

> --
> Kim André Akerĝ
> - (E-Mail Removed)
> (remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)

Steve Pugh

Dung Ping wrote:
> I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is for
> academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a puzzling
> phenomenon. You can open the following page:
>
> http://www.pinyinology.com/statistics.html
>
> and move down to the table of 'Top 10 of 520 Total Sites by KBytes'.
> Please note the numbers '10' and '520' may vary, depending on the time
> when the page is opened.
>
> On the first two rows of the table, you can see numbers of hits and
> bytes, but 0 visits. I don't think such situation is possible. If
> there are hits, there must be visits, or at least one visit.

It depends on how Webalizer counts 'visits'. There's no single
definition of what a 'visit' is as far as web stats go and different
stats programs use different methods (all of which come down to
guesswork) to count 'visits'. You need to read the documentation for
Webalizer and if that doesn't help contact the manufacturer.

Steve