Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > text-align: center in xhtml?

text-align: center in xhtml?

Beck

I have quite a bit of a problem.. I cant align my content to center with css
in the xhtml 1.1 strict doctype?

how to work around for this to work and validate?

--

---
Med venlig hilsen

Systemx Design
Steffen P. Beck

Mark Parnell

In our last episode, Beck <(E-Mail Removed)> pronounced to alt.html:

> I have quite a bit of a problem.

URL?

> I cant align my content to center with css
> in the xhtml 1.1 strict doctype?

Why not?

> how to work around for this to work and validate?

Without a URL it is impossible to say what you are doing wrong.

--
Mark Parnell
http://clarkecomputers.com.au

kchayka

Beck wrote:
> I have quite a bit of a problem.

No, you just think you do.

> I cant align my content to center with css
> in the xhtml 1.1 strict doctype?

Learn to help yourself:
<URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=how+to+center+with+css&num=100&hl=en>

Just avoid anything from macromedia or microsoft newsgroups, as those
are more likely to be software or browser specific, rather than general
www solutions.

David Dorward

Beck wrote:

> I have quite a bit of a problem.. I cant align my content to center with
> css in the xhtml 1.1 strict doctype?

There is no XHTML 1.1 strict Doctype.

There is XHTML 1.1 ... which is mostly pointless as it lacks the "Can be
served as text/html profile", which makes it pretty much useless (goodbye
MSIE, goodbye Googlebot, etc).

There is XHTML 1.0 Strict ... which is also mostly pointless as Appendix C
is silly, and if you use it then you can no benefits over HTML 4.01, but a
couple of problems.

My guess is that your choice of Doctype is triggering standards mode in your
browser and text-align: center has stopped centring block content.

See http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is