Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > underlining <sup>

underlining <sup>

bernhard

Hey,

I try to to underline a <h4> header, which contains also superscripted
text:
<h4>product-name<sup>&reg;</sup></h4>
with this css:
h4 { text-decoration: underline; }

This works fine in Firefox, but in IE and Opera, the text decoration
gets
also superscripted, which looks very odd. For a better appearance, I
tried
to switch off underlining for the superscripted portion and added to
the css
h4 sup { text-decoration: none; }

This does not help, the superscripted portion appears still underlined
in
all 3 browsers.

Any idea?

Thx 4 ur help, Bernhard

Toby Inkster

bernhard wrote:

> <h4>product-name<sup>&reg;</sup></h4>

This doesn't answer your question, but traditionally the registered
trademark symbol is used placed on the baseline with other text: not
superscripted. Ditto the copyright symbol.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach bernhard:

> <h4>product-name<sup>&reg;</sup></h4>
> h4 { text-decoration: underline; }
> This works fine in Firefox, but in IE and Opera, the text decoration gets
> also superscripted, which looks very odd.
> Any idea?

Instead of underlining, you could set a border-bottom for h1. Then, however,
the "underline" would stretch over the full width.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, bernhard quothed:

> Hey,
>
> I try to to underline a <h4> header, which contains also superscripted
> text:
> <h4>product-name<sup>&reg;</sup></h4>
> with this css:
> h4 { text-decoration: underline; }
>
> This works fine in Firefox, but in IE and Opera, the text decoration
> gets
> also superscripted, which looks very odd. For a better appearance, I
> tried
> to switch off underlining for the superscripted portion and added to
> the css
> h4 sup { text-decoration: none; }
>
> This does not help, the superscripted portion appears still underlined
> in
> all 3 browsers.
>
> Any idea?

Instead of <sup>, span the &reg; and use line-height and vertical-align
with font-size-adjust. (Untried regarding underline, though.)

--
Neredbojias

bernhard

I tried that before, this obviously has the same visual effect as
<sup>, and also moves the underline to the new baseline
("superscripted").
I also like a clean markup, <span> controls appearance only, where
<sub> and <sup> have a semantic meaning.

bernhard

You're right with &copy;
But I disgree with &reg; and &tm; I think I have never seen those two
unsuperscripted. Maybe there are different rules depending on region /
country?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, bernhard quothed:

> I tried that before, this obviously has the same visual effect as
> <sup>, and also moves the underline to the new baseline
> ("superscripted").

I see, although I was under the impression that a superscript baseline
was the same as its normal (parent) baseline.

> I also like a clean markup, <span> controls appearance only, where
> <sub> and <sup> have a semantic meaning.

True.

--
Neredbojias

kchayka

Neredbojias wrote:

> Instead of <sup>, span the &reg; and use line-height and vertical-align
> with font-size-adjust.

Which browsers support font-size-adjust? IIRC, it was dropped from the
CSS 2.1 spec due to lack of support.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, kchayka quothed:

> Neredbojias wrote:
> >
> > Instead of <sup>, span the &reg; and use line-height and vertical-align
> > with font-size-adjust.

> Which browsers support font-size-adjust? IIRC, it was dropped from the
> CSS 2.1 spec due to lack of support.

Interesting. I could think of other things about w3c css/html specs
they could at least change for the better, too.

--
Neredbojias

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With neither quill nor qualm, kchayka quothed:
>
> > Neredbojias wrote:
> > >
> > > Instead of <sup>, span the &reg; and use line-height and

vertical-align
> > > with font-size-adjust.

> > Which browsers support font-size-adjust? IIRC, it was dropped from the
> > CSS 2.1 spec due to lack of support.

> Interesting. I could think of other things about w3c css/html specs
> they could at least change for the better, too.

For example?

--
Write in peace for peace
Luigi Donatello Asero

Inline Underlining in XHTML Strict? Kelwin Delaunay HTML 18 09-16-2009 09:47 AM
Firefox and Underlining Joe Firefox 2 03-30-2006 02:22 AM
asp:buttons, access keys, underlining and submit Sarmatia@gmail.com ASP .Net 1 02-22-2006 06:41 PM
FF1.04 underlining urls Wygtya Firefox 3 06-16-2005 11:36 AM
underlining on websites =?Utf-8?B?a21uZXdidXJu?= Microsoft Certification 2 05-25-2004 05:31 PM

Advertisments