Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > A few questions and a critique request

A few questions and a critique request

sagejoshua

I Just did a re-design of my company website, www.snakebirdstudios.com
First of all, could I get a little feedback? What looks good? What
don't? What works, doesn't, etc. I'd appreciate it.

Secondly, it has a few mysterious bugs. It always looks ok in IE.
However, look at it in Firefox. The height get miscalculated on the
first view. If you refresh, it gets the value correctly. Also,
sometimes on the first view of the design page, the absolutly
positioned footer doesn't make it all the way to the bottom of the
page. Refresh it, and it's fine. Then it won't do it again unless you
clear the cache. And this is only in Firefox. What gives?

TIA for any help.

-Josh

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, sagejoshua quothed:

> I Just did a re-design of my company website, www.snakebirdstudios.com
> First of all, could I get a little feedback? What looks good? What
> don't? What works, doesn't, etc. I'd appreciate it.
>
> Secondly, it has a few mysterious bugs. It always looks ok in IE.
> However, look at it in Firefox. The height get miscalculated on the
> first view. If you refresh, it gets the value correctly. Also,
> sometimes on the first view of the design page, the absolutly
> positioned footer doesn't make it all the way to the bottom of the
> page. Refresh it, and it's fine. Then it won't do it again unless you
> clear the cache. And this is only in Firefox. What gives?
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> -Josh

Koneechi juan. Somebody else was having similar trouble with Firefox
and Toby Inkster supplied a solution for a loading delay of the html
until the css was read first. This shouldn't be more than a few days
back so you might want to retro research.

--
Neredbojias

dorayme

> From: sagejoshua <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> I Just did a re-design of my company website, www.snakebirdstudios.com
> First of all, could I get a little feedback? What looks good? What
> don't? What works, doesn't, etc. I'd appreciate it.
>
> Secondly, it has a few mysterious bugs. It always looks ok in IE.
> However, look at it in Firefox. The height get miscalculated on the
> first view. If you refresh, it gets the value correctly. Also,
> sometimes on the first view of the design page, the absolutly
> positioned footer doesn't make it all the way to the bottom of the
> page. Refresh it, and it's fine. Then it won't do it again unless you
> clear the cache. And this is only in Firefox. What gives?

I have looked high and low for this website of yours. It is like
trying to find God, hard to know where really to start...

--
dorayme

Leonard Blaisdell

In article <BF83C15C.19771%(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > From: sagejoshua <(E-Mail Removed)>

> I have looked high and low for this website of yours. It is like
> trying to find God, hard to know where really to start...

I got to it. The Firefox problem is also a Safari problem. And mousing
over the menu makes me queasy. The text of the menu slightly changes
position on mouseover.
I apologize to the original poster, because I didn't see the original
post. The menu text shift is also seen in MacOpera.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

sagejoshua

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:02:52 +1000, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have looked high and low for this website of yours. It is like
>trying to find God, hard to know where really to start...

It's at http://www.snakebirdstudios.com

Does it not work for you?

-Josh

sagejoshua

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:18:36 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I got to it. The Firefox problem is also a Safari problem. And mousing
>over the menu makes me queasy. The text of the menu slightly changes
>position on mouseover.
>I apologize to the original poster, because I didn't see the original
>post. The menu text shift is also seen in MacOpera.

The menu text is supposed to shift. It's supposed to drop a little as
you mouseover. See how the shadow remains in the same place?

Is it not effective?

- Josh

sagejoshua

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:52:56 -0700, Neredbojias
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Koneechi juan. Somebody else was having similar trouble with Firefox
>and Toby Inkster supplied a solution for a loading delay of the html
>until the css was read first. This shouldn't be more than a few days
>back so you might want to retro research.

Hmmm. Here's what came up with:

<?
// Firefox CSS bug:
if(eregi("firefox",$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'])){
header("Link:
<http://www.snakebirdstudios.com/bin/snakebird.css>; REL=stylesheet");
sleep(1);
}
?>

It don't fix nothing... Arrr, I hate quirks. I know that's kind of a
ghetto broswer detection, but it should work, no?

- Josh

Leonard Blaisdell

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
sagejoshua <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The menu text is supposed to shift. It's supposed to drop a little as
> you mouseover. See how the shadow remains in the same place?

I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

> Is it not effective?

No. Text shifting is not. Don't do it, seriously. Perhaps shadow
shifting is. I've never noticed it before and wouldn't have until you
pointed it out.
Your site is perfectly suited for strict validation instead of
transitional. Go for it! That will probably solve your Safari-Firefox
problem. Validation doesn't make compatible sites across all browsers.
And that's forgetting the ancient ones which I do.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

sagejoshua

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:50:23 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No. Text shifting is not. Don't do it, seriously. Perhaps shadow
>shifting is. I've never noticed it before and wouldn't have until you
>pointed it out.

You know, I've got to agree with you there. I changed it to
stationary. There wasn't enough of a reason to have the depression
effect. It makes the page feel more stable.

>Validation doesn't make compatible sites across all browsers.
>And that's forgetting the ancient ones which I do.

What do you mean?

sagejoshua

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it" -M Hedberg

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, sagejoshua quothed:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:52:56 -0700, Neredbojias
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Koneechi juan. Somebody else was having similar trouble with Firefox
> >and Toby Inkster supplied a solution for a loading delay of the html
> >until the css was read first. This shouldn't be more than a few days
> >back so you might want to retro research.

> Hmmm. Here's what came up with:
>
> <?
> // Firefox CSS bug:
> if(eregi("firefox",$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'])){
> header("Link:
> <http://www.snakebirdstudios.com/bin/snakebird.css>; REL=stylesheet");
> sleep(1);
> }
> ?>
>
> It don't fix nothing... Arrr, I hate quirks. I know that's kind of a
> ghetto broswer detection, but it should work, no?
>
> - Josh

Okay, I tried it (http://www.snakebirdstudios.com/) in Firefox 1.5, beta
2 and did not have the problem but did in the current "Mozilla". I'm
almost certain it's something in your javascript because I used to have
similar reactions diddling with Moz and javascript together - especially
regarding preloads and replacements.

--
Neredbojias