Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Text size

Text size

Helen

I was hoping someone can help me.

OK, I am in the process of redesigning my website and I've noticed that in
firefox the text is slightly bigger then in IE, nothing major or anything
but would prefer the text to be the exact same size in both. I use the
normal html <font size=1> text </font>. Can anyone help?

Barbara de Zoete

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:33:47 +0200, Helen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was hoping someone can help me.
>
> OK, I am in the process of redesigning my website and I've noticed that in
> firefox the text is slightly bigger then in IE, nothing major or anything
> but would prefer the text to be the exact same size in both. I use the
> normal html <font size=1> text </font>. Can anyone help?

In IE you can either use [Ctrl]+scroll to size the text up or down, or use the
menu [view > fontsize]. In FF you can use the [Ctrl]+scroll too to resize the
text, or use the menu [view > text-size].

No, that is not a joke. You needn't set a font size at all, or leave it at 100%.
Your visitor, using one browser at the time and not noticing anything different
between various browsers anyway, knows what font size is good for reading
comfortable from his/her screen at his/her given browsing situation. If you
prefer the fonts to be equal in those two browsers (there are many more) use
your browser setting to achieve that. You can't achieve it through markup
(alone).

David Dorward

Helen wrote:

> OK, I am in the process of redesigning my website and I've noticed that in
> firefox the text is slightly bigger then in IE

You probably have your Firefox font size preference set differently to your
Internet Explorer font size preference. (FF doesn't provice rather more
fine grained control over font size).

> I use the normal html <font size=1> text </font>.

You should avoid that, its been deprecated (in favour of CSS) for a very
long time. Its also tiny (to the point of being unreadable for many
people). Many people consider that, generally at least, body[1] text should
be left at whatever preference the user has set with some unimportant
content reduced to perhaps 75% of that.

[1] In the traditional sense, not the <body> element sense

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Helen

It's ok, I got it sorted. Instead of the <font size=1> you put <font
style="font-size:9px"> - which seems to be working.

"Barbara de Zoete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.sy3sqpfox5vgts@zoete_b...
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:33:47 +0200, Helen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I was hoping someone can help me.
>>
>> OK, I am in the process of redesigning my website and I've noticed that
>> in
>> firefox the text is slightly bigger then in IE, nothing major or anything
>> but would prefer the text to be the exact same size in both. I use the
>> normal html <font size=1> text </font>. Can anyone help?

> In IE you can either use [Ctrl]+scroll to size the text up or down, or use
> the menu [view > fontsize]. In FF you can use the [Ctrl]+scroll too to
> resize the text, or use the menu [view > text-size].
>
> No, that is not a joke. You needn't set a font size at all, or leave it at
> 100%. Your visitor, using one browser at the time and not noticing
> anything different between various browsers anyway, knows what font size
> is good for reading comfortable from his/her screen at his/her given
> browsing situation. If you prefer the fonts to be equal in those two
> browsers (there are many more) use your browser setting to achieve that.
> You can't achieve it through markup (alone).
>

> --
> ,-- --<--@ -- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: ----------.
> | weblog | http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html |
> | webontwerp | http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html |
> |zweefvliegen | http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/vliegen.html |
> `-------------------------------------------------- --<--@ ------------'

PeterMcC

Helen wrote in
<435bb578$(E-Mail Removed)>

> It's ok, I got it sorted. Instead of the <font size=1> you put <font
> style="font-size:9px"> - which seems to be working.

That means that anyone who has difficulty reading 9px on a hi-res screen,
like myself, can't resize it in IE - usually not considered to be a good
idea.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Barbara de Zoete

[ Please quote properly. Don't toppost, cut out what you don't reply to, quote
what you do reply to, attribute that quote and reply underneath. Fixed this
once. ]

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:08:20 +0200, Helen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Barbara de Zoete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsp.sy3sqpfox5vgts@zoete_b...
>
>> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:33:47 +0200, Helen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I was hoping someone can help me.

[ Q: wanting to set a font size, so it looks the samen in IE and FF
A: use browser setting to achieve that ]

> It's ok, I got it sorted. Instead of the <font size=1> you put <font
> style="font-size:9px"> - which seems to be working.

That is a bad choice in many ways:
- using depricated markup (the font element);
- using fixed font size;
- using a way too small font size.

Google this group (and alt.html.critique, comp.infosystems.www.authoting.*) for
numerous discussions on these topics and find out why you are taking a wrong
direction with this.

>> --
>> ,-- --<--@ -- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: ----------.

Please delete the sinature block of the message you reply to if your newsclient
doesn't do that for you.

Helen

It's the only way I can get the text to be the same in both FireFox and IE
without having to keep changing the size of the text in firefox, which also
then means that i'll have to change it when I go to another site, something
that is a major pain in the arse and why I have some sites open only in IE.
I'm using the Veranda font so I think that is also making the text a bit
bigger in FireFox too.

"PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:435bb90c$0$49791$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Helen wrote in
> <435bb578$(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> It's ok, I got it sorted. Instead of the <font size=1> you put <font
>> style="font-size:9px"> - which seems to be working.

> That means that anyone who has difficulty reading 9px on a hi-res screen,
> like myself, can't resize it in IE - usually not considered to be a good
> idea.
>
> --
> PeterMcC
> If you feel that any of the above is incorrect,
> inappropriate or offensive in any way,
> please ignore it and accept my apologies.

PeterMcC

Helen wrote in
<435bc383$(E-Mail Removed)>

> "PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:435bb90c$0$49791$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Helen wrote in
>> <435bb578$(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>>> It's ok, I got it sorted. Instead of the <font size=1> you put <font
>>> style="font-size:9px"> - which seems to be working.

>> That means that anyone who has difficulty reading 9px on a hi-res
>> screen, like myself, can't resize it in IE - usually not considered
>> to be a good idea.

> It's the only way I can get the text to be the same in both FireFox
> and IE without having to keep changing the size of the text in
> firefox, which also then means that i'll have to change it when I go
> to another site, something that is a major pain in the arse and why I
> have some sites open only in IE. I'm using the Veranda font so I
> think that is also making the text a bit bigger in FireFox too.

It seems to me, though you may see it otherwise, that the biggest pain is
that people won't be able to read your text.

Verdana is a poor choice as well, I'm afraid.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

David Dorward

Helen wrote:

Please do NOT top post.
http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

>>> style="font-size:9px"> - which seems to be working.

>> That means that anyone who has difficulty reading 9px on a hi-res screen,
>> like myself, can't resize it in IE

> It's the only way I can get the text to be the same in both FireFox and IE

Why does the font size need to be the same in Firefox and IE?

Its the web, and all you can provide are presentation HINTS. Control is in
the hands on the user, not the content author, and attempts to wrest it
away are only going to cause more problems then they solve.

Embrace the media, don't try to fight its strengths.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Arne

Once upon a time *Helen* wrote:
> It's the only way I can get the text to be the same in both FireFox and IE
> without having to keep changing the size of the text in firefox, which also
> then means that i'll have to change it when I go to another site, something
> that is a major pain in the arse and why I have some sites open only in IE.
> I'm using the Veranda font so I think that is also making the text a bit
> bigger in FireFox too.

So the text to be the same in both is more important than the content
and the visitors to be able to read the content?

You think changing font size in your browser is a major pain. What do
you think then the visitors think when they can't read the tiny text
and can't change the size even if they want to?

Think about what makes it so hard. Using Verdana can be one reason,
using a tiny font size may be an other. I have no problems make the
text look the same size in IE and Mozilla / Firefox.

Font size in percent (100% = browsers original size) as default, font
Arial or whatever most common (if any = leave it to the browser
default) but not Verdana, may make the efforts easier.

Note that I'm making an exeption when replying to your post. I'm doing
it of interest, but only once. So please bottompost and cut out what
you don't reply to, in the future.

--
/Arne
Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote