Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > table not responding in IE

table not responding in IE

Jeff Fritz

Hello,

I have a table. In a TD in this table, is yet another table.

This nested table _does not respond_ at all to any efforts I put into
it to get it to align right inside the TD. It looks fine in firefox
(surprise!).

I've tried the following:

align="right"
text-align: right;
margin-left: 100px;
float: right;

on all possible elements -- table, tr, td, I've even wrapped it in a
div and it hasn't responded. Basically that cell and anything in it is
being a pain in the neck.

Please help.

Els

Jeff Fritz wrote:

> I have a table. In a TD in this table, is yet another table.
>
> This nested table _does not respond_ at all to any efforts I put into
> it to get it to align right inside the TD. It looks fine in firefox
> (surprise!).
>
> I've tried the following:
>
> align="right"
> text-align: right;
> margin-left: 100px;
> float: right;
>
> on all possible elements -- table, tr, td, I've even wrapped it in a
> div and it hasn't responded. Basically that cell and anything in it is
> being a pain in the neck.
>
> Please help.

One: don't use nested tables.
Two: if you insist on using the construction you just described, try
setting an explicit width (narrower than that TD) on the nested table.
Three: if that doesn't work, it might just be an idea to actually show
the problem in the form of a URL, so we can detect where you go wrong

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Jeff Fritz

Els,

thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.

there's an explicit width on both the TD and the nested table. IE
seems to not respond to it at all. There also seems to be nothing
stretching the TD that the nested table is in (for some reason it's
stretching). It's very odd.

Here's the link to the site. The TD/table in question is the right
column with login/shoppingcart, etc in it. http://66.227.34.20/catalog/

Barbara de Zoete

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:12:57 +0200, Jeff Fritz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
> it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.

How so? Who is holding that gun to your head?

Els

Barbara de Zoete wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:12:57 +0200, Jeff Fritz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
>> it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.

> How so? Who is holding that gun to your head?

It's probably a money gun, held by an employer.
I know, (sh)it happens

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Barbara de Zoete

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:33:28 +0200, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:12:57 +0200, Jeff Fritz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
>>> it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.

>> How so? Who is holding that gun to your head?

> It's probably a money gun, held by an employer.
> I know, (sh)it happens

Ah, the guy (m/f) that doesn't really hire you, or even your expertise, but just
some skills s/he needs for a specific problem, preferrably to be used as told,
not necessarily the most effective or efficient way. I know such a guy (m/f)

Els

Jeff Fritz wrote:

> Els,
>
> thanks for your reply. I know not to use nested tables, I'm sorry,
> it's not my choice, nor can it be helped.
>
> there's an explicit width on both the TD and the nested table. IE
> seems to not respond to it at all. There also seems to be nothing
> stretching the TD that the nested table is in (for some reason it's
> stretching). It's very odd.
>
> Here's the link to the site. The TD/table in question is the right
> column with login/shoppingcart, etc in it. http://66.227.34.20/catalog/

For one thing: that TD isn't any wider than the table inside of it:
cellpadding="0">

You set them both to 125 wide. Making the table align right or left
isn't gonna do anything ever.

If you narrow your window, you'll see that at some point, the column
fits where you want it, only to notice it dropping down when you
narrow the window even more.
The problem is not with the table that holds the shopping cart column,
but with the construction of the table around it.

I suggest you also check the validator, so you can find the errors
like more than one <body> element, <tr> elements where they shouldn't
be, and superfluous end tags of <table> elements.

Some of these superfluous end tags, may be caused by incorrectly
nested forms. You can't put a form element tag between <table> and

Good chance that once you cleaned up the code, the problems will
disappear too.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Els

Barbara de Zoete wrote:

>>> How so? Who is holding that gun to your head?

>> It's probably a money gun, held by an employer.
>> I know, (sh)it happens

> Ah, the guy (m/f) that doesn't really hire you, or even your expertise, but just
> some skills s/he needs for a specific problem, preferrably to be used as told,
> not necessarily the most effective or efficient way. I know such a guy (m/f)

Only one??

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Barbara de Zoete

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:54:09 +0200, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
>
>> Ah, the guy (m/f) that doesn't really hire you, or even your expertise, but
>> just
>> some skills s/he needs for a specific problem, preferrably to be used as told,
>> not necessarily the most effective or efficient way. I know such a guy (m/f)
>>

> Only one??

Ehrm, if this indian says 'yes, only one' it will keep all the chiefs this
indian had (including the current one) happy, thinking that one is not them.

Els

Barbara de Zoete wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:54:09 +0200, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, the guy (m/f) that doesn't really hire you, or even your expertise, but
>>> just
>>> some skills s/he needs for a specific problem, preferrably to be used as told,
>>> not necessarily the most effective or efficient way. I know such a guy (m/f)
>>>

>> Only one??

> Ehrm, if this indian says 'yes, only one' it will keep all the chiefs this
> indian had (including the current one) happy, thinking that one is not them.

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -