Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > embed tag

embed tag

Luc

I am using elevator music on our site in an embed tag. But as soon as the
music file ends it start over again. The idea would be to start another
elevator music song and not the same. How is this done guys?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luc wrote:

> I am using elevator music on our site in an embed tag. But as soon as
> the music file ends it start over again. The idea would be to start
> another elevator music song and not the same. How is this done guys?

Probably doesn't matter, because I (and many others) will be gone from
your site in seconds, as soon as you interrupted the jazz I was playing
on my computer.

Music, or any sounds, on a web site should be optional via a clickable
link.

--
-bts
-When motorcycling, never follow a pig truck

Travis Newbury

Luc wrote:
> I am using elevator music on our site in an embed tag.

Probalby a bad idea, but it is your site...

> But as soon as the
> music file ends it start over again.

Damn them! Damn them to hell!!!

> The idea would be to start another
> elevator music song and not the same. How is this done guys?

It isn't. Use Flash or java to do something like you want. And then
only after you ask it is it ok to play music.

--
-=tn=-

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Luc quothed:

> I am using elevator music on our site in an embed tag. But as soon as the
> music file ends it start over again. The idea would be to start another
> elevator music song and not the same. How is this done guys?

I agree with Beauregard, despite his name. Audio should be optional,
not forced on a user. Also, when I surf, I do it with sound off. If
the site is "mysteriously" slow, I leave. If the site comes to a halt
to load some unannounced Flash giz, I leave.

--
Neredbojias

Stan McCann

"Luc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:nvR4f.25592$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be:

> I am using elevator music on our site in an embed tag. But as soon
> as the music file ends it start over again. The idea would be to
> start another elevator music song and not the same. How is this done
> guys?

Easy, link each music file and list as a menu. As soon as a music file
ends, the user then can select another.

OTOH, if you insist in playing music without any choice on my part,
adios, I'll find another site to look (and not listen to) at.

http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

dorayme

> From: "Luc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> I am using elevator music on our site in an embed tag. But as soon as the
> music file ends it start over again. The idea would be to start another
> elevator music song and not the same. How is this done guys?

I suppose old Spartanicus would not mind if I suggest you look
at http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm for a start.

I would imagine that if you really wanted to have continuous
elevator music, you would need to prepare it as one long file
and then include it. Yes, embedding is definitely the way to go
with such music, for maximum realism (as with real elevators
where you can't easily escape!

You can also use parameters like Loop but I am rusty on this
though have used this myself once or twice for fun.

Midi files are probably best because impressively small.

dorayme

dorayme

> From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Music, or any sounds, on a web site should be optional via a clickable
> link.

Not true. In general, yes, it should be optional. That's as far
as you can go without saying false things. The fundamentalist
view expressed by you here would exclude a lot of things that
could be a lot of fun, the fun being ruined if one has the
choice... It is nice to be helplessly surprised by some things.
One does not need to be so in control of every thing at every
stage.

As we have been lucky enough to learn from Luigi, freedom is
very important. But it is not overwhelmingly so in all
circumstances.

You have been given an argument here. Try to appreciate it
before making any fundamentalist reply...

dorayme

Greg N.

dorayme wrote:

> Not true. In general, yes, it should be optional. That's as far
> as you can go without saying false things. The fundamentalist
> view expressed by you here would exclude a lot of things that
> could be a lot of fun, the fun being ruined if one has the
> choice... It is nice to be helplessly surprised by some things.
> One does not need to be so in control of every thing at every
> stage.

Not true. Thoise "things that could be a lot of fun... It is nice to be
helplessly surprised ..." could be fun or nice for some, but not all
potential visitors - That's as far as *you* can go without saying false
things.

I would say that uncontrollable acoustic content, though some may like
it in some cases, *will*, without any doubt, annoy a percentage of visitors.

The question remains, should a civilized person do things that might be
offensive to a part (however small) of the audience, without giving them
a choice. I think the answer is no.

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme wrote:

>> From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> Music, or any sounds, on a web site should be optional via a clickable
>> link.

> Not true. In general, yes, it should be optional. That's as far as you
> can go without saying false things. The fundamentalist view expressed
> by you here would exclude a lot of things that could be a lot of fun,
> the fun being ruined if one has the choice... It is nice to be
> helplessly surprised by some things. One does not need to be so in
> control of every thing at every stage.
>
> As we have been lucky enough to learn from Luigi, freedom is very
> important. But it is not overwhelmingly so in all circumstances.
>
> You have been given an argument here. Try to appreciate it before
> making any fundamentalist reply...

Nope, I'm not going to argue. Music should be optional, the choice of
the visitor.

--

Greg N. wrote:
> Not true. Thoise "things that could be a lot of fun... It is nice to be
> helplessly surprised ..." could be fun or nice for some, but not all
> potential visitors - That's as far as *you* can go without saying false
> things.

Trying to please "potential visitors" is meaningless. EVERYONE is a
potential visitor, but not everyone is a "likely" visitor. So (IMOHO)
making sure that EVERYONE is happy is a waste of time. One's efforts
would be much better spent understanding what the likely visitors want.

Mind you, there are no absolutes on the web, and what makes a site work
is unique to that site. My standard reference is that google would not
be as popular if it relied on Flash, and the opposite is true for
cartoon network's site.

--
-=tn=-