Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > embedding movies

embedding movies

code_wrong

Embedding media .... Is there a comprehensive guide out there ..I have three
books .. two of them only mention the Object tag .. one book does outline
how to use the embed tag ..and yes I have successfully embedded movies into
a web page and viewed them in IE and FireFox..

but I am not satisfied ..the information is not comprehensive .. I visited
theW3C .. waste of time! .. various searches found many out of date articles

Of all people the W3C should have a good site shouldn't they? ..well .. if
they are in charge then there is no hope of clearing up this <embed>
<object> curmudgeon

why is everyone pulling in different directions .. I don't mind using Object
to embed media .. but I can't stand those incredibly stupid long numbers ..
something to do with MS ActiveX I think .. but I don't know .. useless books
on the subject!

advice welcome

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, code_wrong quothed:

> Embedding media .... Is there a comprehensive guide out there ..I have three
> books .. two of them only mention the Object tag .. one book does outline
> how to use the embed tag ..and yes I have successfully embedded movies into
> a web page and viewed them in IE and FireFox..
>
> but I am not satisfied ..the information is not comprehensive .. I visited
> theW3C .. waste of time! .. various searches found many out of date articles
> ..
>
> Of all people the W3C should have a good site shouldn't they? ..well .. if
> they are in charge then there is no hope of clearing up this <embed>
> <object> curmudgeon
>
> why is everyone pulling in different directions .. I don't mind using Object
> to embed media .. but I can't stand those incredibly stupid long numbers ..
> something to do with MS ActiveX I think .. but I don't know .. useless books
> on the subject!
>
> advice welcome

My advice is to accept it as one of the screws up which are facts of
life like government and interpersonal relationships, and carry on from
there. Eventually it will get better.

--
Neredbojias

Spartanicus

http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

--
Spartanicus

code_wrong

"Spartanicus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie...
> "code_wrong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Embedding media

> http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

Interesting .. thanks .. .. you reference an article:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/ ..where the author jumps
through hoops to embed a flash movie in a standards compliant way i.e.by
dropping the embed tag ..
This also involved dropping the ugly stupid ugly CLSID number .. hoorah! ..
However he then had to insert an ActionScript hack into his SWF movie which
is just another hoop .. so I think I am still inclined to ignore the
standard and continue to use the Embed tag within the Object tag ....

I must say that the object tag seems overly complicated .. I would ditch it
in favour of embed .. it seems more logical .. after all what are we doing?
>> embedding stuff in a web page ..

Would it not be a better idea to tell the browser what MIME type we are
trying to embed and let the browser decide which helper application to call
.... in Firefox this would be a plugin .. in IE this might be some activeX
component .. depending on the way the browser is set up ..

Why is it left to the web designer to decide which windows component will
deal with an Object? .. seems wrong to me ..

Toby Inkster

code_wrong wrote:

> Embedding media

<object data="foo.mpeg" type="video/mpeg" width=320 height=240>
</object>

Easy.

Internet explorer sometimes also requires one or two <param> elements
inside the object -- it depends on the MIME type of the movie file --
you'd need to supply more info.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

code_wrong

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk...
> code_wrong wrote:
>
>> Embedding media

> <object data="foo.mpeg" type="video/mpeg" width=320 height=240>
> </object>

What about avi swf and all the rest?
please elaborate

Travis Newbury

"code_wrong" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> What about avi swf and all the rest?
> please elaborate

Just use Object and embed the way you always have. The 3 main
browsers all know how to deal with it. IE, NN, and FF all can even
commnitcate with most players via Javascript so you can have
Flash/Javascript "talk" to the player.

--
-=tn=-