Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > ok so spacers are old hat..

ok so spacers are old hat..

Paul Watt

hi,
Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?
The only way I can think of is to put them each in a <div> and position them
on the page.
Maybe styling a <p> tag or something?
Situation: I'm trying to seperate two different
tables in a cloumn vertically.

cheers!
Paul

Marc Bissonnette

"Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:di0hfv$uql$(E-Mail Removed):

> hi,
> Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
> image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?
> The only way I can think of is to put them each in a <div> and
> position them on the page.
> Maybe styling a <p> tag or something?
> Situation: I'm trying to seperate two different
> tables in a cloumn vertically.

Have you tried using a transparant spacer image ?

<BFG>

Sorry, couldn't resist

Seriously: If it works for you, go for it - there's about a million other,
worse, transgressions in web design that are far worse.

I've found that in several applications, using a spacer image can often be
the only way to get a layout *just* right when it comes to cross-browser
compatibility

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

William Tasso

Writing in news:alt.html,alt.websites,alt.www.webmaster
From the safety of the cafeteria
Paul Watt <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> hi,

How do you do?

> Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
> image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?

margin?

> Situation: I'm trying to seperate two different
> tables in a cloumn vertically.

perhaps a URL would help?

--
William Tasso

.... we can't pick up the fragments of our broken friendship till you pick
up the fragments of your broken teeth ... (Donna in tpol&apoc)

Jonathan N. Little

|-|erc wrote:

> "Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in ...
> : hi,
> : Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
> : image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?
> : The only way I can think of is to put them each in a <div> and position them
> : on the page.
> : Maybe styling a <p> tag or something?
> : Situation: I'm trying to seperate two different
> : tables in a cloumn vertically.

<snip>
height attribute is deprecated, give us a URL and we can best give you a
solution

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

David Dorward

Paul Watt wrote:

> Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
> image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?

I answered that when I poured scored on your spacer image:

"Apply a margin-bottom."

-- <dhum2s$ikp$1$(E-Mail Removed)>

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Alan J. Flavell

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, |-|erc wrote:

> spacers can be a last resort if you want to stop a fluid design from
> shrinking too much

Without seeing a concrete demonstration of what you're trying to
avoid, and just how effective your "solution" would be in various
browsing situations, my only comment would have to be that you'd do
better to define some margins or padding with CSS - and stop worrying
about what this or that browser might do in the hands of this or that
reader.

I have been known to insert the odd &nbsp; in some text for what
seemed to be adequate reasons at the time, but I wouldn't recommend it
as a general technique. Spacer images even LESS so. IMHO anyway.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Paul Watt quothed:

> hi,
> Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
> image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?
> The only way I can think of is to put them each in a <div> and position them
> on the page.

Yeah, if you have to, put at least one in a div and pad the div.

From your previous, I gather that the sole objective is to vertically
space 2 tables???

--
Neredbojias

David Dorward

|-|erc wrote:

> : height attribute is deprecated,

> stop giving phony advice.

That wasn't advice, it was a statement[1]. The advice "don't use the height
attribute" could be implied from it, but wasn't actually stated.

"Don't use the height attribute" is, however, good advice in this instance,
and is certainly not phony (unlike your name ("Pipe dash pipe erc"!) and
email address).

[1] Not actually a correct one as it happens, HTML didn't have a height
attribute for <tr> elements in the first place, so such an attribute
couldn't be deprecated.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Jonathan N. Little

David Dorward wrote:

<snip>
> [1] Not actually a correct one as it happens, HTML didn't have a height
> attribute for <tr> elements in the first place, so such an attribute
> couldn't be deprecated.

Misread, thought he wrote TH not TR. I guess *I* was giving the phony
advice

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Michael Winter

On 06/10/2005 18:47, |-|erc wrote:

> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

[snip]

>> [...] HTML didn't have a height attribute for <tr> elements in the
>> first place, so such an attribute couldn't be deprecated.

> [Jonathan Little] said height [was deprecated], not <tr height>.

His words were written directly after you presented a table row start
tag containing a height attribute. I don't think the context could have
been much clearer.

> and if you claim height is deprecated cite something,

David didn't claim that height (applied to a TR element) was deprecated;
Jonathan did. David said, quite correctly, that it didn't exist. See for
yourself. Read the 'official' Strict or Transitional DTDs (table-related
elements are near the end), or look at the attribute index after the
appendices. You won't find the attribute applied to TR elements in either.

[snip]

Mike

--
Michael Winter

add "spacers to gridview" =?Utf-8?B?aWdvdHlvdXJkb3RuZXQ=?= ASP .Net 3 10-16-2006 01:40 PM
new hard disk on old, old pc Deano Computer Support 5 10-21-2005 12:32 PM
old printer and old WP in Windows XP? lu Computer Support 6 01-14-2005 02:18 PM
Old Mountain... Old Machines... Seymore Digital Photography 1 12-03-2003 04:25 AM
old sony fd91 finally dying - old age? lefty Digital Photography 5 10-26-2003 05:53 PM

Advertisments