Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > pop up ??

pop up ??

Mike

Hello,

This may be a dumb question, but how do I make my target a "pop up window"
without all the regular browser toolbars ect?

Thank you

Marc

Mike wrote:
> This may be a dumb question, but how do I make my target a "pop up window"
> without all the regular browser toolbars ect?

That will give you a link that appears in a new window, if you want a
window that doesn't have toolbars and such, you'd need to use JavaScript.

However, I'd question why you'd want to do that - why remove the
functionality of the user's browser? Also, most JavaScript-produced
'pop-up' windows are blocked by pop-up blockers, which are now being
bundled with mainstream browsers as well as software like Norton
Internet Security, so there is no guarantee that anything would be
displayed at all. Then the user would be left wondering why the link
didn't work.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Travis Newbury

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> This may be a dumb question, but how do I make my target a "pop
> up window" without all the regular browser toolbars ect?

Google "popup window maker" You will be rewared with a zillion
examples.

Now, Why do you want to pop up a window knowing so many people block
something like this?

--
-=tn=-

brucie

In post <news:rJ50f.14885$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike said:

> This may be a dumb question,

yes

> but how do I make my target a "pop up window"
> without all the regular browser toolbars ect?

why are you trying to break your visitors browser? if your visitor uses a
prehistoric browser you may be able to do it but its not nice.

why popups anyway? popups have a very limited application and most probably
blocked by the visitors UA anyway.

how about a question something like: "this is what i would like... how do i
do it?"

then everyone can give their advice/opinion on what the best way to
implement it is (or not)

--
l i t t l e v o i c e s

Mike

Thank you for your response to my post- I didn't realize how bad that
sounded... The reason I want to use a pop up type link (browser without the
toolbar) is only for appearance on a web site I am doing... it is the page
with the businesses Mission Statement, this page was designed to be opened,
read, and closed and I hadn't intended to use any other navigation on the
page (to keep it from looking cluttered), a decision I am re-thinking now

Thank you

news:rJ50f.14885$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> This may be a dumb question, but how do I make my target a "pop up window"
> without all the regular browser toolbars ect?
>
> Thank you

Marc

Mike wrote:
> Thank you for your response to my post- I didn't realize how bad that
> sounded... The reason I want to use a pop up type link (browser without the
> toolbar) is only for appearance on a web site I am doing... it is the page
> with the businesses Mission Statement, this page was designed to be opened,
> read, and closed and I hadn't intended to use any other navigation on the
> page (to keep it from looking cluttered), a decision I am re-thinking now

Firstly, why not just have the link open like any other link? In the
same format as the rest of the website, in the same browser window?

Secondly, please don't send your posts as emails to all concerned, I can
read your message in the newsgroup, I don't need it in my inbox as well.

Marc