Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Please criticize my website

Re: Please criticize my website

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:tbK%e.35069$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:A6K%e.147497$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:62K%e.147495$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > > news:NuJ%e.384$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > either.

> table

than

> not

> amount

the

> > > The menu is not in a table, it is in a div.
> > > The buttons are not longer buttons on the homepage, they are books

which
> > the
> > > user can open by clicking on them!

> It would be nice to display the books as open books after they have been
> clicked once.
> How can I do that?

Well, I have worked a lot this night to try and improve the layout of the
homepage.
An advertisement should be published today on a newspaper, therefore I
thought that it would be better off to change something on the homepage.
Now it looks differently, anyway!

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

Oli Filth

Jonathan N. Little said the following on 02/10/2005 04:48:

> http://www.littleworksstudio.com/tem...ml051001-2.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what browser/skin are you using there?

--
Oli

Jonathan N. Little

Oli Filth wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little said the following on 02/10/2005 04:48:
>

>> http://www.littleworksstudio.com/tem...ml051001-2.jpg
>>

> Just out of curiosity, what browser/skin are you using there?

That screen shot was actually from my Moz1.7.12 (my default browser)
using Orbit3+1. The other screen shout was will the latest FireFox
1.0.7. Didn't realize I uploaded the wrong screen shot until afterwards,
but the page looked the same in both Moz & FF...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:__Z%e.432$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oli Filth wrote:
> > Jonathan N. Little said the following on 02/10/2005 04:48:
> >

> >> http://www.littleworksstudio.com/tem...ml051001-2.jpg
> >>

> > Just out of curiosity, what browser/skin are you using there?
> >

> That screen shot was actually from my Moz1.7.12 (my default browser)
> using Orbit3+1. The other screen shout was will the latest FireFox
> 1.0.7. Didn't realize I uploaded the wrong screen shot until afterwards,
> but the page looked the same in both Moz & FF...
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

I also tried this
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test.php
The table does not seem to break.
(Firefox and IE)
The garbage does not seem to collide with the table.
Does it give problems with other browsers perhaps?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas yo vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais je habite a la Suede)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:__Z%e.432$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Oli Filth wrote:

>>>Just out of curiosity, what browser/skin are you using there?
>>>

>>That screen shot was actually from my Moz1.7.12 (my default browser)
>>using Orbit3+1. The other screen shout was will the latest FireFox
>>1.0.7. Didn't realize I uploaded the wrong screen shot until afterwards,
>>but the page looked the same in both Moz & FF...
>>
>>--
>>Take care,
>>
>>Jonathan
>>-------------------
>>LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
>>http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

> I also tried this
> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test.php
> The table does not seem to break.

To clarify: The *code* of your table is valid, the *application* of your
table and its *styling* is questionable at best!

a) your are using a table for layout purposes and not because that data
is tabular
b) both the use of the table and its styling causes very odd *squishing*
of the text into a long trail of words when your browser window is < 600px

> (Firefox and IE)
> The garbage does not seem to collide with the table.

^
Not sure if this is a language thing, 'garbage' can certainly be an
appropriate description, but what you you mean here?

> Does it give problems with other browsers perhaps?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:eG_%e.440$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:__Z%e.432$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I also tried this

> > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test.php
> > The table does not seem to break.

> To clarify: The *code* of your table is valid, the *application* of your
> table and its *styling* is questionable at best!
>
> a) your are using a table for layout purposes and not because that data
> is tabular

This is the old question: some argue that 2 columns wheras one of this helps
to define the data which are contained in the other make a tabular table.
Others mean that it can still be only a table for layout purposes.

> b) both the use of the table and its styling causes very odd *squishing*

"Squishing"?
What do you mean?

> of the text into a long trail of words when your browser window is < 600px
>

> > (Firefox and IE)
> > The garbage does not seem to collide with the table.

> ^

I meant the sea-gull, the bird on the photo.
So I guess that the word garbage was wrong.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas yo vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais je habite a la Suede)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:eG_%e.440$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>
>>>"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
>>>news:__Z%e.432$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>>https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test.php
>>>The table does not seem to break.

>>To clarify: The *code* of your table is valid, the *application* of your
>>table and its *styling* is questionable at best!
>>
>>a) your are using a table for layout purposes and not because that data
>>is tabular

> This is the old question: some argue that 2 columns wheras one of this helps
> to define the data which are contained in the other make a tabular table.
> Others mean that it can still be only a table for layout purposes.

This issue is old but still valid! 2 columns, 3 columns, whatever! It's
the columns that are the problem!

>>b) both the use of the table and its styling causes very odd *squishing*

> "Squishing"?
> What do you mean?

If the browser windows is small the table column with the description
for your pictures Italy and Sweden get 'squished' this way
->||<-
into a tall narrow column of words. I cannot figure how to explain this
more clearly!

DUMP the table like my example and the does *NOT* happen reguarless of
how small your browser window is!

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/tem...ml.051002.html

Now do the same with your version!

https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php

See the words to the right -> for your picture squeeze into an oddly
tall and narrow column of words! Not pretty!

>>of the text into a long trail of words when your browser window is < 600px
>>

>>>(Firefox and IE)
>>>The garbage does not seem to collide with the table.

>> ^

> I meant the sea-gull, the bird on the photo.
> So I guess that the word garbage was wrong.

Maybe not! ;-D

The seagull 'collides' because you have it as a background image 'under'
the text! Not part of the page content, just decoration. In my example I
put it in the content, (it's your logo right?), and floated it.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:ak%%e.442$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > "Squishing"?
> > What do you mean?

> If the browser windows is small the table column with the description
> for your pictures Italy and Sweden get 'squished' this way
> ->||<-
> into a tall narrow column of words. I cannot figure how to explain this
> more clearly!
>
> DUMP the table like my example and the does *NOT* happen reguarless of
> how small your browser window is!
>
> http://www.littleworksstudio.com/tem...ml.051002.html
>
> Now do the same with your version!

I did it and I noticed that when I narrowed your version a lot, the text is
not more readable and I need scroll horizontally the page.
So I guess that a better solution than mine and yours would be appreciated
because both seem to give problems.

[cut]

> > I meant the sea-gull, the bird on the photo.
> > So I guess that the word garbage was wrong.

> Maybe not! ;-D
>
> The seagull 'collides' because you have it as a background image 'under'
> the text! Not part of the page content, just decoration. In my example I
> put it in the content, (it's your logo right?), and floated it.

I think that I read about this method to have it as a background image
somewhere.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas yo vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais je habite a la Suede)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:7300f.147603$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:ak%%e.442$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > > "Squishing"?
> > > What do you mean?

> > If the browser windows is small the table column with the description
> > for your pictures Italy and Sweden get 'squished' this way
> > ->||<-
> > into a tall narrow column of words. I cannot figure how to explain this
> > more clearly!
> >
> > DUMP the table like my example and the does *NOT* happen reguarless of
> > how small your browser window is!
> >
> > http://www.littleworksstudio.com/tem...ml.051002.html
> >
> > Now do the same with your version!

> I did it and I noticed that when I narrowed your version a lot, the text

is
> not more readable and I need scroll horizontally the page.
> So I guess that a better solution than mine and yours would be appreciated
> because both seem to give problems.

I did it and I noticed that when I narrowed your version a lot, the text
was
not more readable and I needed scroll horizontally the page.
So I guess that a better solution than mine and yours would be appreciated
because both seem to give problems.
By the way, do you like sea-gulls?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas yo vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais je habite a la Suede)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:9500f.147604$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:7300f.147603$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I did it and I noticed that when I narrowed your version a lot, the text
> was
> not more readable and I needed scroll horizontally the page.

I tried to compare the 2 versions and I saw that my design let you see the
column when you cannot see it any longer with your version probably because
your column does not squish, it disappears and I need scroll the page
horizontally or make the screen larger to read it.
That was not good, I think.