Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Obtain DNS Information from Provider

Obtain DNS Information from Provider

DCS

I have an 1800 ISR router with an ADSL HWIC. The HWIC is configured
and I'm connecting to the provider without any problems. Behind that,
I have an ASA firewall coming from an internal interface on the ISR. I
have been using the DNS settings provided by my ISP to manually
conifgure my client stations on the inside of the ASA and would like to
transition to DHCP.

When using the ISPs DSL modem, the modem obtains the DNS information
for that session which periodically changes. How can I configure my
1800 ISR to get this DNS information, pass it to my ASA, and have the
ASA use this information when leasing IPs to clients?

Thanks~! DCS

Merv

assuming 1800 is getting its IP and DSN info via DHCP, then set up a
DHCP pool on the 1800 configured with the import all function.

On the ASA configure DHCP relay to relay DHCP client requests from PCs
thru the ASA to the 1800

DCS

Hey,

The IPs are static but the ISP DNS servers, while MOSTLY static do
change occassionally. The gateways the ISPs use seem to be able to get
this information during their negotiation and I'd like like to replace
their gateway and have all that information negotiated with my router.

Merv wrote:
> assuming 1800 is getting its IP and DSN info via DHCP, then set up a
> DHCP pool on the 1800 configured with the import all function.
>
> On the ASA configure DHCP relay to relay DHCP client requests from PCs
> thru the ASA to the 1800

Merv

Can you please provide an ASCII diagram of the current setup and the
planned setup

When you say ISP gateway exactly what are you referring to ?

Is it a device at your site ?