Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: WIDTH attribute for peformatted text

Re: WIDTH attribute for peformatted text

Jud McCranie

On 2 Oct 2005 02:57:07 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've never done that with <pre>. Why, again must you use <pre>? Sorry
>if I'm being dense.

Sorry, I don't know much about writing HTML. I found <pre> in "A
Beginner's Guide to HTML" by the NCSA, which seems to be a little out
of date. If there is a better way to get fixed-pitch text, I'd like
to know.

>> There's no URL, these are reports generated by a program that I want
>> to attach to email.

>Ew. HTML mail. You know that many people don't read HTML mail, right?
>Here, it goes straight into the Trash folder.

For one thing, it won't go into the trash because these people have
requested that the file be sent to them. Secondly, this isn't HTML
mail. The reports are attached to email that says something like "The
employee vacation list for this week is attached". I already have it
attaching text and RTF files, I'm adding HTML files.

I've got my program so that it will create the HTML files the way I
want them, except for the issue of the width of the file. I may just
have to pick a size that works well for a maximized browser at
1024x768. What is the best way to set the font size (for a
fixed-pitch font)?
---
Replace you know what by j to email

Jud McCranie

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 09:28:00 GMT, Rincewind
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In your CSS:
>#content{width:95%;}

Thanks, I've heard of CSS, but I don't know what it is. What is it?
---
Replace you know what by j to email

Jud McCranie

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 09:28:00 GMT, Rincewind
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

When I do that, it wraps long lines of text. It can't wrap long
lines. What I want is to have them left as they are and be visible
without requiring horizontal scrolling.
---
Replace you know what by j to email

Jud McCranie

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:26:55 -0400, Jud McCranie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For one thing, it won't go into the trash because these people have
>requested that the file be sent to them. Secondly, this isn't HTML
>mail. The reports are attached to email that says something like "The
>employee vacation list for this week is attached". I already have it
>attaching text and RTF files, I'm adding HTML files.

Also, the files are written to the network drive do anyone that wants
it who isn't on the email list can go out and get it.

I mentioned possibly sending the fine in 3 or 4 sizes. Maybe the
recipients can report back which size works for them, and the files
can be individualized. More programming though, I'd rather be able to
make only one file that fits all recipients.
---

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>I've never done that with <pre>. Why, again must you use <pre>? Sorry
>>if I'm being dense.

>Sorry, I don't know much about writing HTML. I found <pre> in "A
>Beginner's Guide to HTML" by the NCSA, which seems to be a little out
>of date. If there is a better way to get fixed-pitch text, I'd like
>to know.

Now I've tried
<P style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: Verdana; color: black">
text line 1 <BR>
text line 2 <BR>
</P>

but it wraps long lines, which is unacceptable, of course.
I've read about <TT> as an alternative to <pre>. What is the best way
to put in preformatted text and have it not wrap?
---
Replace you know what by j to email

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jud McCranie quothed:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 09:28:00 GMT, Rincewind
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I do that, it wraps long lines of text. It can't wrap long
> lines. What I want is to have them left as they are and be visible
> without requiring horizontal scrolling.

To stop wrapping use style="white-space:nowrap" per applicable line.

To *reduce* the chance of horizontal scrolling, reduce the font-size.
Eg. style="font-size:0.7em" (-an em is the user's browser's standard
font size unless you've adjusted it earlier.) Be aware that a lot of
people get cranky from small text.

--
Neredbojias

Jukka K. Korpela

Jud McCranie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 14:27:27 +0000 (UTC), "Jukka K. Korpela"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Wait a second. In which context? WWW, intranet, or perhaps just one
>>computer? And what reports?

> These reports are generated by my program and are to be emailed (as an
> attachment) to several people.

That still doesn't give much clue. Why do you use HTML as the format,
anyway? If it's tabulated data and will be E-mailed as an attachment, Excel
might work much better. After all, recipients could actually work with it,
reordering columns and whatever.

> It is a legacy application, of sorts, and if the font isn't fixed
> width, the columns won't line up.

It sounds like you need a table. Using preformatted text instead is hardly
a good idea - we did that in the 1970s, but...

> The program already puts the
> reports in text files and RTF files. But text files are limited and
> some recipients are having problems with the RTF files. I want to add
> HTML files to have things that text file can't, and to give an option
> to avoid problems for the recipient.

You're not describing the structure or the desired functionality.

>>Instead of telling what you want, why don't you describe the structure
>>and purpose of the data?

> The data consists of quite a few reports which use fixed spacing, in
> order to make the columns line up.

You're describing line printer oriented presentation, not structure.

> It does preserve the spacing, but I would like it to look more like a
> printed report.

Why?

> The printed reports and the preview of the reports
> adjust themselves so they display nicely.

I guess we'll never know what you are actually trying to accomplish.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/