Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What is the most important trick for page consistence?

What is the most important trick for page consistence?

Dung Ping

Opening with dfferent browers, my web pages look different. They
sometimes look different even with same brower but on different
computers.

Professionally-made pages always look same on all browers and all
computers. What are the most important things for page consistency?
Thanks.

Els

Dung Ping wrote:

> Opening with dfferent browers, my web pages look different. They
> sometimes look different even with same brower but on different
> computers.

URL?

> Professionally-made pages always look same on all browers and all
> computers.

Not true.

> What are the most important things for page consistency?

It's just a matter of using a nice complete doctype, and constant
checking in a couple of browsers whilst building, and then check in
all the other browsers and adjust till happy.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Dung Ping

Els wrote:
> Dung Ping wrote:
>
> > Opening with dfferent browers, my web pages look different. They
> > sometimes look different even with same brower but on different
> > computers.

> URL?

My web site is for a very specific group of people, so I didn't bother
others with it. Its address is:

www.pinyinology.com

> > Professionally-made pages always look same on all browers and all
> > computers.

> Not true.
>
> > What are the most important things for page consistency?

> It's just a matter of using a nice complete doctype, and constant
> checking in a couple of browsers whilst building, and then check in
> all the other browsers and adjust till happy.

Probably I've taken the IE for granted too long.

> --
> Els http://locusmeus.com/
> Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
> - Renato Russo -

Alan J. Flavell

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Dung Ping wrote:

> Professionally-made pages always look same on all browers

Thank Heavens for amateurs, then.

Greg N.

Dung Ping wrote:

> Probably I've taken the IE for granted too long.

Yes. Use a different way to play the sound files. Sound should only be
triggered by the user clicking on a soundfile link, not automatically
when loading a page. Also, the <bgsound...> approach works with IE, but
not with many other browsers.

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Travis Newbury

Els <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> Professionally-made pages always look same on all browers and all
>> computers.

> Not true.

Well it depends on your view of professional. IMOHO I tink that
"professional" sites do tend to look the same across browsers

--
-=tn=-

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Dung Ping quothed:

He he, welcome to the *real* www.

> Professionally-made pages always look same on all browers and all
> computers. What are the most important things for page consistency?
> Thanks.

No they don't, and they're not supposed to, either.

As for consistency factors (-yes, good professional web pages might be
called consistent,) I'd say some of the most important are valid markup,
strict markup, and markup guided by accessibility principles. Even
within the standards arena, trying to get too "fancy" is usually not a
good idea. Html for structure, css for decoration and *minor*
structural amendments, and javascript use only as an option for refining
usability are the components for success on the web.

--
Neredbojias

Els

Travis Newbury wrote:

> Els <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>> Professionally-made pages always look same on all browers and all
>>> computers.

>> Not true.

> Well it depends on your view of professional. IMOHO I tink that
> "professional" sites do tend to look the same across browsers

My own sites do, yes. But the line I replied to said "always" and "all
browsers" and "all computers". Simply not feasible. No matter how hard
I try, my sites looks different in Firefox from the way they look in
Lynx.

Also, in Opera they look slightly different than in Firefox and IE,
because of the way the font-size scales. In Konqueror on my SuSE box,
they look different because of an entirely different font.
Sometimes I allow for Konqueror to have a minor difference in
horizontal navigation, like the borders on the list items may be 1px
narrower than on Firefox or something.

My Siemens MC60 mobile also displays my sites differently from any
other computer, and Netscape 4.79 would need an entirely separate
mark-up (tables and frames) to accomplish the same look as today's
IE6. I don't see it as my professional task to cater for NN4 though.
I just make the content *accessible* in that browser and in *all
browsers*. That's my idea of professional.

Long story short: I'm just saying there is a difference between
"looking the same across browsers" and "always look the same on all
browsers and all computers".

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

rossz

Dung Ping wrote:
> Professionally-made pages always look same on all browers and all
> computers. What are the most important things for page consistency?
> Thanks.

Large quantities of vodka.

Ok, I'll be serious. It's a major bitch to get pages to look identical
across browsers, damn near impossible. To get them close to being the
same is just a matter of taking the time to tweak things here and there
for consistency. I'm now in the habit of using IE comment conditionals
to deal with Microsoft's inconsistent/indifferent adherence to the
standards.

--
Rossz
God kills a kitten each time someone uses Internet Explorer

Travis Newbury

Els <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Travis Newbury wrote:
> My own sites do, yes. But the line I replied to said "always"
> and "all browsers" and "all computers". Simply not feasible.

Oh I completely agree, in reality, it is impossible to do that.

> No
> matter how hard I try, my sites looks different in Firefox from
> the way they look in Lynx.

"look in lynx" has no meaning as lynx is not a graphical browser.
As long as the _same_ content gets through in both a graphical
browser and lynx, then they indeed do "look" the same.

> I just make the content *accessible* in that
> browser and in *all browsers*. That's my idea of professional.

To me, that is only one part of being professional. Add to that
knowledge of design, layout, knowing who your audience is, and
understanding why those things are important.

--
-=tn=-

And your most clever trick M HTML 2 06-12-2007 12:26 AM
most important features of 1.6 Roedy Green Java 24 03-14-2006 07:16 AM
What's Most Important When Buying Online? JJ Digital Photography 19 03-04-2004 04:12 PM
Re: Most Important PC Components For Digital Photography? Steven M. Scharf Digital Photography 9 02-14-2004 02:30 AM
Most Important PC Components For Digital Photography? Sen Meehan Digital Photography 26 02-10-2004 09:21 AM

Advertisments