Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > DOT WS Domains?

DOT WS Domains?

justsurfing@gmail.com

I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
domains? Do you know of a business that has one? Do you think it will
confuse customers? They appear to be nice because they are easy to
remember and unlike the .com's everything I can think of is available.
There are some great names available for a business idea I have that
are not available as .com. I just dont know if I should go with the .ws
or find a less brandable / rememberable .com. What are your thoughts?

Oh here is an example of a .ws distributor website.
http://www.ClaimYour.ws

rf

Does the ever damned groups.google force you to use your email address as a
handle these days?

> I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
> domains?

It's a fine extension if you live in Western Somoa. Otherwise why would you
use it?

Cheers
Richard.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
> domains? Do you know of a business that has one? Do you think it will
> confuse customers? They appear to be nice because they are easy to
> remember and unlike the .com's everything I can think of is available.
> There are some great names available for a business idea I have that
> are not available as .com. I just dont know if I should go with the
> .ws or find a less brandable / rememberable .com. What are your
> thoughts?

I've already responded to your post on alt.domain-names.forsale, since
I first saw your post there. Please don't multipost, and rather learn
how to cross-post instead.

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- (E-Mail Removed)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, (E-Mail Removed) quothed:

> I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
> domains? Do you know of a business that has one? Do you think it will
> confuse customers? They appear to be nice because they are easy to
> remember and unlike the .com's everything I can think of is available.
> There are some great names available for a business idea I have that
> are not available as .com. I just dont know if I should go with the .ws
> or find a less brandable / rememberable .com. What are your thoughts?
>
> Oh here is an example of a .ws distributor website.
> http://www.ClaimYour.ws

I think dot-com has an edge in familiarity, but after that the
extensions are all fairly much equivalent.

Somebody said you multiposted instead of crossposted. Would you order
your french fries one fry at a time?

--
Neredbojias

Gnarlodious

Entity (E-Mail Removed) spoke thus:

> I have a question. What do you all think of the .ws extension for
> domains?

My sister had an ISP in the US with a .sw extension and once I asked her
what "WS" was for. Her answer was "Web Site". When I scoffed at that idea
she looked thoughtful for a moment and replied "Work Station?".

I do hear that .fm (Federation of*Micronesia) is popular for music
streamers, which at least has some logic to it.

-- Gnarlie

Domestos

If you are advertising in printed press then i reckon it matters, net
newbies will beleive it is a type before trying it...

However if you are using online advertising then most people just click the
link so it doesn't reall mater.

IMO

Domestos

..com makes you look professional - always get a .com where you can !!!
..biz is the new up and coming domain
..co.uk is the most useless I have seen - and why does america not have a
..co.us ?
..org is usually reserved for universitys IMO
..net is up and coming
..xxx should be avoided (when it arrives)
..web - is there a .web?
..mil .gov and .nhs cannot be used by joe public ( i think)

anything else makes you look cheap - if you look at things like that !

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Domestos scraped:

> .com makes you look professional - always get a .com where you can !!!

No, a good website with proper domain name makes you look professional.
..com is not the only one to do this.

> .biz is the new up and coming domain

I beg to differ! .biz makes you look cheap.

> .co.uk is the most useless I have seen - and why does america not have a
> .co.us ?

Not quite. .co.uk is very useful for Britain-based companies. The reason
that the US doesn't have .co.us is probably because they hijacked the
global .com for that purpose.

> .org is usually reserved for universitys IMO

Wrong. The .edu domain is for educational institutions, whereas the .org
domain is for any non-commercial organisation.

> .net is up and coming

It's been up and coming since the beginning then. It's also primarily
for network providers, such as ISPs.

--
Dylan Parry

Chris Hope

Dylan Parry wrote:

[snip]

>> .co.uk is the most useless I have seen - and why does america not
>> have a .co.us ?

> Not quite. .co.uk is very useful for Britain-based companies. The
> reason that the US doesn't have .co.us is probably because they
> hijacked the global .com for that purpose.

There is actaully a .us TLD but it doesn't get used very much because US
companies seem to prefer to go with .com

[snip]

Stan McCann

Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:dhcc1v$9ni$(E-Mail Removed):

> Dylan Parry wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> .co.uk is the most useless I have seen - and why does america not
>>> have a .co.us ?

>> Not quite. .co.uk is very useful for Britain-based companies. The
>> reason that the US doesn't have .co.us is probably because they
>> hijacked the global .com for that purpose.

> There is actaully a .us TLD but it doesn't get used very much
> because US companies seem to prefer to go with .com

I found it acceptable for a purely personal site (see sig). Some ISPs
don't like it with email though; too much spam comes from .va where va
stands for any 2 letter domain suffix. They filter on that basis.

http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.