Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > css or tables

css or tables

nathankippen@gmail.com

I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
webpage layout?

Here is a link to the first website that I have built from the
gournd-up. Please leave some feedback if you have any.

http://www.sandiegoonthebeach.com

p.s. it's not completely done, but it's approaching there.

Jonathan N. Little

> I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
> define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
> webpage layout?

a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Thomas Jollans

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
>> define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
>> webpage layout?
>>

> a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

and the answer is CSS

"Thomas Jollans" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

> and the answer is CSS

'cause the tables are old, and were not invented to use for positioning,
which some ppl still can't understand and make heavy, 200 kB htmls...

Regards,
Talthen

Jonathan N. Little

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "Thomas Jollans" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>>>a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

>>and the answer is CSS

> 'cause the tables are old, and were not invented to use for positioning,
> which some ppl still can't understand and make heavy, 200 kB htmls...

additionally CSS saves you time and effort, if all you want to do is
change the appearance of blocks of text in tables requires extensive
editing of your HTML, whereas via DIV's an CSS only need to change your CSS.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Andy Dingley

On 26 Sep 2005 09:47:16 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I would like to get people's opinion

Your lack of basic respect for other newsgroup posters, evidenced by
your clear total failure to even _try_ searching the archive, earns you
an auto-plonk on sight.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, (E-Mail Removed) quothed:

> I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
> define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
> webpage layout?

Layout? Ah, neither. The best layout is done with html.

> Here is a link to the first website that I have built from the
> gournd-up. Please leave some feedback if you have any.
>
> http://www.sandiegoonthebeach.com
>

> p.s. it's not completely done, but it's approaching there.

Your background's too bright for the content.

--
Neredbojias

Jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andy Dingley
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On 26 Sep 2005 09:47:16 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I would like to get people's opinion

>Your lack of basic respect for other newsgroup posters, evidenced by
>your clear total failure to even _try_ searching the archive, earns you
>an auto-plonk on sight.

I feel sure he's full of remorse now that you've pointed that out to him

Regards.

--
Jake ((E-Mail Removed) -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)

rf

Jake wrote:

> I feel sure he's full of remorse now that you've pointed that out to him

Given that the OP is yet another one from groups.google what do you think?

Cheers
Richard.

Marc

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
> define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
> webpage layout?

Layout is done with best HTML, tabular data with <table> and associated
tags, and appearance with CSS.

> Here is a link to the first website that I have built from the
> gournd-up. Please leave some feedback if you have any.
>
> http://www.sandiegoonthebeach.com

Work on the quality of your pictures. On first glance I thought the
website was showing pictures of a crumbling old building due to the poor
resizing of your photos. It's not a website that would convince me to
stay at your hotel.

And I agree with the other poster - the background needs to go - it's
too distracting.

Marc

How to get database metadata information (i.e. existing tables and columns in tables) Chris Brat Python 5 08-22-2006 05:25 PM
Tables within tables Otuatail HTML 7 08-02-2004 04:42 AM
Tables and CSS Mark Rae ASP .Net 4 07-17-2004 09:08 AM
Text after 2 tables actually appears between 2 tables ! Peter Bassett HTML 3 08-15-2003 06:46 PM
Re: css positioning vs. tables PeterMcC HTML 0 06-23-2003 04:45 PM

Advertisments