Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Write Chinese in Wordpad

Re: Write Chinese in Wordpad

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Fl4Ze.5468$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > Which font can I choose to write in Chinese in Wordpad?
> >

> Arial Unicode MS or PMingLiU for starters....

Thank you.

Did I do something wrong?
I tested 2 pages which contain both Chinese and Swedish
and I tried to choose Unicode

<head>
content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
<META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 DAY">
<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Lägenheten för fritidsändamål i Rom">
<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="Scaiecat Spa Gigi">
The pages display also Chinese character but when I open the file they
change into unreadable ones.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:7rkZe.34656$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:Fl4Ze.5468$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > > Which font can I choose to write in Chinese in Wordpad?
> > >

> > Arial Unicode MS or PMingLiU for starters....

> Thank you.

I found a code called
MS Hei.
I have this problem while using Windows 98.
Perhaps I would not have it while usinig WinXP and a FTP client which
support WinXP but I want to see if I can edit in Chinese even using Win98

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

rf

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> I found a code called
> MS Hei.
> I have this problem while using Windows 98.
> Perhaps I would not have it while usinig WinXP and a FTP client which
> support WinXP but I want to see if I can edit in Chinese even using Win98

Listen very carefully:

YOU CAN NOT EDIT IN CHINESE USING YOUR WIN98!

You would have had to either install the Microsoft Layer for Unicode or you
would have had to install a Chinese version of Windows 98. I Know this. I
used to install both traditional and simplified Chinese versions of Windows
98.

Hou can *NOT* edit Chinese on the version of windows 98 that you have.

Can I make it any clearer than that ?

Cheers
Richard.

Jukka K. Korpela

"rf" <@invalid.com> wrote:

> YOU CAN NOT EDIT IN CHINESE USING YOUR WIN98!

As by the constitution of Usenet, shouting (writing all-uppercase) means
you are wrong _and_ you have lost your temper _and_ you are in a write-only
mode, i.e. immune to attempts to enlighten you. So this isn't for you but
to other readers of the alt.html group (and perhaps sci.lang.translation,
where the question did not belong).

You can write an HTML document in any language of the world, irrespectively
of your operating system, keyboard, etc. As the ultimate method, you can
write any character using character references, which need just a few
characters ("&", "#", digits "0" through "9", and ";", though basic Latin
letters "A" to "F" and "X" and/or their lowercase equivalents would make
things somewhat easier).

The _convenience_ of writing depends on many things, including the
authoring software. You can install and use a so-called Unicode editor,
such as e.g. SC UniPad or BabelPad, even on Windows 98. They let you write
even plain text in any language and in any script.

Followups trimmed.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jukka K. Korpela

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Did I do something wrong?

Yes. You pointlessly crossposted, to begin with. Followups now trimmed.

Moreover, you failed to provide a URL of your attempt. You just have to
believe that I know it is needed for an analysis what you tried and why it
failed. I'm not going to give a lecture on character encoding on the Web
(you can have a free lecture on that by reading the HTML specification,
though it's a bit dusty, dry, and even a little misleading).

You are using an inccorrect language code: "cn" is currently unassigned,
hence an error. The language code for Chinese is "zh" (whereas "CN" is the
country code for China). Don't use language codes before you understand
them. They are not needed for any basic functionality, but using _wrong_
codes can cause problems.

(When you understand the codes, you probably wish to use either "zh-Hans"
or "zh-Hant" for your pages or elements in Chinese, instead of the generic
"zh".)

> content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />

Why do you use XML syntax in a document that you declare as HTML 4.01?
Did you actually _utilize_ the DOCTYPE by trying to validate the page?

> <META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 DAY">

Pointless, if not harmful. No indexing robot is going to visit your page
every day just because you use such a meta tag.

> <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Lägenheten för fritidsändamål i
> Rom">

Rather pointless too, and potentially harmful if the page mainly contains
Chinese. Google &Co. guess the language from the content, and initial
content (even in meta tags) _might_ matter more than the rest. If search
engines actually use the description in their hit lists, as they sometimes
do, the description won't be very adequate - it looks like an advertisement
more than a description of a page.

> The pages display also Chinese character but when I open the file they
> change into unreadable ones.

Huh? This sounds like you tried to open a document containing Chinese
characters in a program that cannot use a font that has such characters.
Of course, it could be any other mess as well.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Luigi Donatello Asero

"rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:CPkZe.12515$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > I found a code called
> > MS Hei.
> > I have this problem while using Windows 98.
> > Perhaps I would not have it while usinig WinXP and a FTP client which
> > support WinXP but I want to see if I can edit in Chinese even using

Win98

> Listen very carefully:
>
> YOU CAN NOT EDIT IN CHINESE USING YOUR WIN98!

It is already displayed on the page.

> You would have had to either install the Microsoft Layer for Unicode or

you
> would have had to install a Chinese version of Windows 98.

I suppose I have done both because I saw that Chinese was displayed on my
website
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php
If you do not see the Chinese characters may-be that you did not load
Unicode.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...-i-italien.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Xns96DC57186217Djkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Did I do something wrong?

> Yes. You pointlessly crossposted, to begin with. Followups now trimmed.

There may be people who know Chinese in the other NG I posted to.
For this reason they can be informed on this subject.

> Moreover, you failed to provide a URL of your attempt.

Ok.
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php

Given that you wrote that I should choose "zh" perhaps I should create a
directory called zh, instead.

You just have to
> believe that I know it is needed for an analysis what you tried and why it
> failed. I'm not going to give a lecture on character encoding on the Web
> (you can have a free lecture on that by reading the HTML specification,
> though it's a bit dusty, dry, and even a little misleading).

> You are using an inccorrect language code: "cn" is currently unassigned,
> hence an error. The language code for Chinese is "zh" (whereas "CN" is the
> country code for China). Don't use language codes before you understand
> them. They are not needed for any basic functionality, but using _wrong_
> codes can cause problems.

To try to do one thing is the best way to learn how to do it.

> (When you understand the codes, you probably wish to use either "zh-Hans"
> or "zh-Hant" for your pages or elements in Chinese, instead of the generic
> "zh".)

> > content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />

> Why do you use XML syntax in a document that you declare as HTML 4.01?
> Did you actually _utilize_ the DOCTYPE by trying to validate the page?

I guess that this code was written by someone else in this thread or another
thread during the last days.
Which code would be the right one then?

> > <META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 DAY">

> Pointless, if not harmful. No indexing robot is going to visit your page
> every day just because you use such a meta tag.

Fine.

> > <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Lägenheten för fritidsändamål i
> > Rom">

This is temporary there.

> Rather pointless too, and potentially harmful if the page mainly contains
> Chinese. Google &Co. guess the language from the content, and initial
> content (even in meta tags) _might_ matter more than the rest. If search
> engines actually use the description in their hit lists, as they sometimes
> do, the description won't be very adequate - it looks like an

> more than a description of a page.
>
> > The pages display also Chinese character but when I open the file they
> > change into unreadable ones.

> Huh? This sounds like you tried to open a document containing Chinese
> characters in a program that cannot use a font that has such characters.
> Of course, it could be any other mess as well.

I am not sure I understand what you meant here.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...-i-italien.php

rf

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote

> > You would have had to either install the Microsoft Layer for Unicode or

> you
> > would have had to install a Chinese version of Windows 98.

> I suppose I have done both because I saw that Chinese was displayed on my
> website

What has a web page got to do with "write chinese in wordpad", the subject
of this thread?

> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php
> If you do not see the Chinese characters may-be that you did not load
> Unicode.

Are you being intentionally thick? I suggest you go somewhere and learn how
computers actually work. I give up on you, again.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:6cHZe.14613$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote

[cut]
> > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php
> > If you do not see the Chinese characters may-be that you did not load
> > Unicode.

> Are you being intentionally thick? I suggest you go somewhere and learn

how
> computers actually work. I give up on you, again.

I suggest that you do not answer my posts if you do not want to give a
constructive answer.
I can see the Chinese characters on the page
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php
as well as I can see them on
www.baidu.com
for example.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...-i-italien.php

rf

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> I suggest that you do not answer my posts if you do not want to give a
> constructive answer.

OK. Here is a constructive answer.

> I can see the Chinese characters on the page
> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/cn/test.php

Fine. I can't but that is immaterial.

> as well as I can see them on
> www.baidu.com
> for example.

Fine, but this is also immaterial.

Your original question relates to, and the subject of this thread is, "Write
Chinese in Wordpad".

Earlier in the thread you state:

<quote>
The pages display also Chinese character [in your browser] but when I open
the file [presumably using wordpad] they
change into unreadable ones.
</quote>

So, you can see the Chinese characters using your browser but when you edit
the file using wordpad they change to unreadable ones. Right?

That is because you are using windows 98. You state this here:

<quote>
I have this problem while using Windows 98.
Perhaps I would not have it while usinig WinXP and a FTP client which
support WinXP but I want to see if I can edit in Chinese even using Win98
</quote>

There is the question. You want to see if you can edit in Chinese even using
windows 98.

You will *not* be able to edit Chinese text using wordpad under your windows
98. Windows 98 does not support unicode and windows 98 does not support
Chinese unless you have installed a Chinese version of windows 98, which you
have not.

You *may* be able to use your browser to view a page that contains Chinese
text but that is immaterial to the subject of this thread.

You *will* be able to edit Chinese text using the wordpad that comes with
XP, providing you have installed the far east asian language pack. Even then
you will only be able to use wordpad to save as unicode. Wordpad does not
support UTF-8. Notepad, however, supports unicode, unicode big endian and
UTF-8.

I hope this helps and I apologise for getting cranky at you earlier

Cheers
Richard.

Re: Write Chinese in Wordpad Luigi Donatello Asero HTML 0 09-25-2005 11:39 PM
Re: How do I translate a Chinese web site and add Chinese character set to IE..? =A0 - =A0 Taking these two questions one at a time... =A Patrick Dunford NZ Computing 3 04-28-2004 07:15 PM
Re: Wordpad Baron Reeve Computer Support 0 07-11-2003 12:37 AM
Re: Wordpad Shel-hed Computer Support 1 07-10-2003 11:59 PM
Re: Wordpad Merlin Computer Support 3 07-10-2003 11:26 PM

Advertisments