Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Please criticize my website.

Re: Please criticize my website.

Alan J. Flavell

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, rf wrote:

> Alan J. Flavell wrote
>
> > Just to note that older browsers/versions do not support name-based
> > virtual hosts (i.e do not send a Host: header with their requests).

> > hope this helps anyone interested in browser archaeology

> It would be of interest if you could detail which versions etc this applies
> to,

It's a fair question, but I don't have a good answer at my fingertips,
I'm afraid. To the best of my recollection, this was being deployed
around 1996-7, for example I think the first versions of Netscape
browser to have it were 2.x.

I do remember that the last version of UdiWWW, 1.2.000, dated April
1996, did not send the Host: header, but did have configuration for a
proxy, so it was one of those intermediate browsers which needed to be
used with a proxy in order to access name-based virtual hosts.

The blooberry site has a chronology of release versions of some
browsers, see http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/history/browsers.htm ,
though this doesn't seem to make much mention of HTTP functionality
details.

I guess that if one is interested in one of these browsers from around
1996-7, then it'd be necessary to install it and take a look. Sorry.

In Aug 1996, I wrote:
__
/
DNS aliases can only only work if the browser sends a Host: header.

Many don't. You best set things up so that isn't required. In 1998
perhaps, things will look different. For now, you must live with
the clients that are out there.
\__

while in November of that year I wrote what you see in the thread
containing this message-id:
<(E-Mail Removed)>

I also respond to a user problem report in Aug 1997 where the
complainant is, I think, still using a Netscape 1.* version:
<(E-Mail Removed)>

These seem to more or less set the date range when this was a hot
topic. (Oops, I see that in 1996 I also made the same blunder that
I've since seen made by others - claiming that name-based virtual
hosts only work in HTTP/1.1. In fact, the Host: header can perfectly
well be sent as an optional extra with HTTP/1.0, and I never heard of
a server that was upset by that).

Best I can do you for an answer just now, sorry.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > Toby Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> >
> >> Opera is a 3.5MB download; Firefox is about 5MB; Lynx should come in at
> >> less than 1MB.

> > Thank you. What about the others?

> Go to http://browsers.evolt.org/. That is an archive of many different
> browsers (with many different versions of most of them). It tells you the
> file size before you download it.

Thank you for your answer.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

rf

Alan J. Flavell wrote:a server that was upset by that).

> Best I can do you for an answer just now, sorry.

Thanks. Some good leads.

Cheers
Richard