Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Please criticize my website.

Re: Please criticize my website.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Wÿrm" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:dgru56$f3t$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
> viestissä:vTeYe.34359$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>

> <snip>
>
> > The only thing is that I have to test first whether I can load so many
> > browsers on the computers I use.

> And why is this a problem?
>
> Even my old 150 mhz, computer can handle more than just IE. Not that I use
> that computer for anything currently.
>
> It's not a HD space issue unless you're having like 200MB HD or

something,
> and I very much doubt that to be case. Browsers do not take gigabytes of

HD
> space you know. And they can happily co-exist with IE. So only "issue"

here
> is you not installing other browsers.

I do not think that things are so simple as you described them.
Most importantly I am not in charge only for the webdesign, and it takes
much time to do other things too, for example to get in touch with
landlords/landladies and ask whether they want to lease their holiday
lodgings. It takes time to write the content in different languages..
I assume that most of you instead are in charge only with webdesign or
programming.
To sum it up, I am going to handle the browsers questions in the future.
But what is the validation about?
Should not web browsers comply with all the requirements which have been
made by the W3 organisation to let them display validated pages correctly?
--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

Wrm

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestiss:3afYe.34363$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> I do not think that things are so simple as you described them.

Yes they are, but I see you are as ignorant in this matter than anything
before.

So I do not bother to waste my time replying YOU after this. If you insist
of being stupid instead of taking advices, that's your loss. Feel free to
waste as much of your OWN time taking that path, but to not assume others
should waste their time too just because you haven't taken advices.

> Most importantly I am not in charge only for the webdesign

That is not MY problem, I don't care if you'd be responsible for wiping
asses with a mustard or something. It is not ISSUE here.

<snip of whine where you have to use time, but you're too dumb to take
advice how to save time FOR that use>

> But what is the validation about?
> Should not web browsers comply with all the requirements which have been
> made by the W3 organisation to let them display validated pages correctly?

How about you take some __TIME__ study about IE and it's numerouns
rendering BUGS that cause it view pages differently than W3 specs tell it
to.

If you would realize this, you might realize that it's easier to use OTHER
browsers to get page layout ok, and THEN tweak for IE if there is need.

Anyway, I'm done with this matter because of your stubborness to take advice
and just whining against it. It's your time you waste. Don't waste other
people time, or if you do, waste time of people whom you PAY for it. This
ain't not helpdesk.

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

<snip the on and on stuff...>

>>>for example Opera) which are not free of charge but still useful

>><snip>
>>
>>Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera are free of charge. I usually design for
>>the standards compliant firefox and mozilla and usually, the rest of the
>>browsers play fair when rendering my pages faithfully. If you design your
>>pages around IE, you are going to run into troubles with the rest. Fact of
>>life

> Just a simple question:
> What would you do if you found out that most users visiting your website use
> IE?

Q: Why doesn't my website display properly?
A1: Because your are making error...here, here & here...
A2: Because your are making error...here, here & here...
A3: Because your are making error...here, here & here...
An: Because your are making error...here, here & here...

Q: I prefer not to make such changes, why doesn't my website display
properly?

BIG Q: Why are you asking? If you are not interested in learning
anything, why ask?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Wÿrm" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:dgrvps$i3k$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
> viestissä:3afYe.34363$(E-Mail Removed).. .

[cut]

> Anyway, I'm done with this matter because of your stubborness to take

advice
> and just whining against it. It's your time you waste. Don't waste other
> people time, or if you do, waste time of people whom you PAY for it. This
> ain't not helpdesk.

Do not answer my posts then!
Nobody forced you to do that.
The thread is adressed to everyone who wants to answer.
Not just to you.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
newsrfYe.1514$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> > Just a simple question:
> > What would you do if you found out that most users visiting your website

use
> > IE?
> >

> Q: Why doesn't my website display properly?
> A1: Because your are making error...here, here & here...
> A2: Because your are making error...here, here & here...
> A3: Because your are making error...here, here & here...
> An: Because your are making error...here, here & here...
>
> Q: I prefer not to make such changes, why doesn't my website display
> properly?

Where did I write that?
What do you refer to?
The issue about the homepage is open.
It has not been dismissed.

> BIG Q: Why are you asking? If you are not interested in learning
> anything, why ask?

I ask questions, I read/listen to answers, I think it over and I make up my
mind.
I find it good to ask questions, I do not find good to dismiss or to accept
all the answers without thinking about them.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Michael Winter

On 21/09/2005 15:57, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> "Michael Winter" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:YAcYe.112620$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...

[snip]

>> If you approach development from the perspective that IE is right,
>> and others are wrong, you will make life very hard for yourself.

> I did not mean that!!
> I just meant that I concentrate more on the browser which most of my
> users use.

And I am saying that that's a counterproductive approach to take. You'll
find yourself in a position where you develop for IE and everything else
be damned.

> Perhaps, I could not validate the CSS stylesheet or I forgot to do
> that.

Validation is not the be-all and end-all of Web development. Validation
will not tell you how your documents will be rendered in a variety of
browsers. At best, it just means that your CSS is 'correct', that a
standards-compliant browser will render your suggestions properly, and
hopefully other browsers will, too. It is no substitute for actual testing.

> Perhaps, it depended on https.

Using HTTPS does have implications for your site, but rendering is not
one of them.

> Still, I think that https is useful for other reasons
> ( I do not want to discuss about them again and again..)

You never discussed them in the first place. Others did, but you refused
to participate with a response that really didn't seem relevant.

> Also, I assumed that browsers should comply with the requirements of
> validation so that the pages which validate can be displayed by
> browsers.
> Is that the case?

Browsers don't "comply with the requirements of validation" because they
play no part in the validation process and, as I explained, validation
has no relevance with regard to rendering.

Browsers should comply with the specifications for the languages and
schemes they claim to implement, but no-one should need to be told that
this is rarely the case. IE is considered to be one of the worst
all-round offenders (especially due to its penetration of the browser
market) so using it for initial validation would seem foolish, at best.

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Michael Winter

On 21/09/2005 15:53, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> "Kim André Akerø" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]

>> The Windows port of w3m requires Cygwin:
>> http://www.w3m.org/download/binary/
>> http://www.cygwin.com/

> Is cygwin another text editor?

Did you look at the Cygwin site? You were given the URL. Did it say that
it is a text editor?

Use /some/ initiative. Please.

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Michael Winter" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:BagYe.112781$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
> On 21/09/2005 15:53, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > "Kim André Akerø" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [snip]
>
> >> The Windows port of w3m requires Cygwin:
> >> http://www.w3m.org/download/binary/
> >> http://www.cygwin.com/

> > Is cygwin another text editor?

> Did you look at the Cygwin site? You were given the URL. Did it say that
> it is a text editor?
>
> Use /some/ initiative. Please.

Dear Michael,
as you perhaps do not know Italian or Swedish, you may not be conscious of
another discussion which has taken place in other NG:s
which I have taken part in during the last day.
I have many other things to do and I think that I already use the computer
too much.
So, I consider the information which I got in this thread as something which
I shall probably look at in the course of the next months or perhaps within
an year as it has been the case for "include" for example.
I am not ready with include, yet and I still have pages to validate and many
other things to do.
So, to sum it up:

1) I may have a look at the style sheet which I used for the homepage
2) I may have a look at the possibility of installing other browsers

One or both of them may come after I have solved other issues, such as the
validation of some pages.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> Just a simple question:
> What would you do if you found out that most users visiting your
> website use IE?

Why ... I would use IE too!!!

90% of the people who visited my house this year drove a Wartburg. So
.... I went and bought one. And I don't care how other (real) cars drive.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> Should not web browsers comply with all the requirements which have
> been made by the W3 organisation to let them display validated
> pages correctly?

Of course they *should*. None do, completely. IE is the worst of the
lot, by far.