Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Please criticize my website.

Re: Please criticize my website.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Jafar As-Sadiq Calley wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:38:52 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > Which text browser do you recommend?

> Text browser? I'd suggest lynx or w3m. I don't know if they have
> windows version or not though.

Windows version of Lynx available here:
http://lynx.isc.org/current/#w32
http://www.jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/

The Windows port of w3m requires Cygwin:
http://www.w3m.org/download/binary/
http://www.cygwin.com/

--
Kim Andr Aker
- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Michael Winter

On 21/09/2005 06:03, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i
> meddelandet news:RO5Ye.146734$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several
>> browsers but on the other hand, why should I check up first the
>> browsers which a lower number of users use?

> which have a lower number of users rather than with IE which has a
> higher and afterwards check up the others?

These other browsers provide an accurate picture of what your site looks
like. They reflect what your markup and style sheets suggest unlike IE
which, for various reasons, may not.

If you approach development from the perspective that IE is right, and
others are wrong, you will make life very hard for yourself. You'll be
trying to correct what you see as bugs, when in fact it is you (or
rather, your work) that is at fault.

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i
> meddelandet news:LC5Ye.87756$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> That page has nothing like the /index.php page.

> Are you sure about that?

Well, yes.

>> You don't understand the concept of inline floats, do you?

> I suppose that you are referring to visual formatting

What else would a float do to an image, except visually float it
within the content?

>> I said the left and right columns. The left columns contains all
>> those language buttons, or other orange buttons. That column is
>> too wide.

> Not any more. Which is the right column for you? Do you mean the
> right column of the table with the description?

No, I meant the buzzard picture, with (note my screen shot) seems to
be a right column - because it is forcing the table to the center of
the window.

>> And that picture of the buzzard takes up way too much space.

No response?

>> We all will, but you seem to not learn from advice given here.

> No, you do not seem to accept that I sometimes share other
> peoples opinions and other times not. And it is not true either
> that I have not used any advice which I have read here. But it is
> also true that there are people writing here who have different
> opinions on the same subject. Take this example about pictures and
> descriptions of these pictures which could be regarded as data. I
> think that there had been someone else here before who had this
> opinion.

Ah well ...

>> It is no security problem to use multiple browsers.

> I was referring to security problems concerning the use of credit
> cards on other websites!

Yes, security where credit cards are used is important. It is NOT
necessary to serve your regular pages as https, only when you get to
the page where a customer would enter the CC number and other personal
data. Got it?

> Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several
> browsers but on the other hand, why should I check up first the
> browsers which a lower number of users use?

Others have explained this. IE is a five year old broken browser. If
your page works well in Firefox, and probably Opera, it will probably
work in IE. The process doesn't work the other way round.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jafar As-Sadiq Calley" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:38:52 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > Can I upload several browsers in the same computer without getting any
> > problems?

> Yes. I have 8

They probably require a lot of space in the hard disk, don´t they?

> > Which text browser do you recommend?

> Text browser? I'd suggest lynx or w3m. I don't know if they have windows
> version or not though.

Is it freeware?

(
> > for example Opera) which are not free of charge but still useful

> <snip>
>
> Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera are free of charge. I usually design for
> the standards compliant firefox and mozilla and usually, the rest of the
> browsers play fair when rendering my pages faithfully. If you design your
> pages around IE, you are going to run into troubles with the rest. Fact of
> life

Just a simple question:
What would you do if you found out that most users visiting your website use
IE?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Kim André Akerø" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jafar As-Sadiq Calley wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:38:52 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> >
> > > Which text browser do you recommend?

> > Text browser? I'd suggest lynx or w3m. I don't know if they have
> > windows version or not though.

> Windows version of Lynx available here:
> http://lynx.isc.org/current/#w32
> http://www.jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/

Ok. I am going to have a look at it afterwards.

> The Windows port of w3m requires Cygwin:
> http://www.w3m.org/download/binary/
> http://www.cygwin.com/

Is cygwin another text editor?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Michael Winter" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:YAcYe.112620$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> On 21/09/2005 06:03, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i
> > meddelandet news:RO5Ye.146734$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >> Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several
> >> browsers but on the other hand, why should I check up first the
> >> browsers which a lower number of users use?

> > which have a lower number of users rather than with IE which has a
> > higher and afterwards check up the others?

> These other browsers provide an accurate picture of what your site looks
> like. They reflect what your markup and style sheets suggest unlike IE
> which, for various reasons, may not.
>
> If you approach development from the perspective that IE is right, and
> others are wrong, you will make life very hard for yourself.

I did not mean that!!
I just meant that I concentrate more on the browser which most of my users
use.
Perhaps, I could not validate the CSS stylesheet or I forgot to do that.
Perhaps, it depended on https.
Still, I think that https is useful for other reasons
( I do not want to discuss about them again and again..)
Also, I assumed that browsers should comply with the requirements of
validation so that the pages which validate can be displayed by browsers.
Is that the case?
--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:GWdYe.115395$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i
> > meddelandet news:LC5Ye.87756$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >> That page has nothing like the /index.php page.

> > Are you sure about that?

> Well, yes.
>
> >> You don't understand the concept of inline floats, do you?

> > I suppose that you are referring to visual formatting

> What else would a float do to an image, except visually float it
> within the content?
>
> >> I said the left and right columns. The left columns contains all
> >> those language buttons, or other orange buttons. That column is
> >> too wide.

> > Not any more. Which is the right column for you? Do you mean the
> > right column of the table with the description?

> No, I meant the buzzard picture, with (note my screen shot) seems to
> be a right column - because it is forcing the table to the center of
> the window.

The buzzard picture should be on the top right, in fact.
And the table should be to the center!

[cut]
> > I was referring to security problems concerning the use of credit
> > cards on other websites!

> Yes, security where credit cards are used is important. It is NOT
> necessary to serve your regular pages as https, only when you get to
> the page where a customer would enter the CC number and other personal
> data. Got it?
>
> > Now, on the one hand, it is better to check up the page in several
> > browsers but on the other hand, why should I check up first the
> > browsers which a lower number of users use?

> Others have explained this. IE is a five year old broken browser. If
> your page works well in Firefox, and probably Opera, it will probably
> work in IE. The process doesn't work the other way round.

However, the largest majority of my users seem to use IE.
Therefore, I think it is better to check up IE´s compatibility, first.
Afterwards I could do things better by checking up the other browsers as
well.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Wrm

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestiss:FseYe.34350$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> What would you do if you found out that most users visiting your website
> use
> IE?

Dunno about other people, but roughly 86% (number might be different in
reality because browser stats are not most reliable numbers) of my visitors
(pages are aimed for people that are very far from being tech savvy people)
are using IE.

I design pages using FireFox and Opera as main browser to check out how
layout etc. works because they follow CSS etc. much more closely than IE and
it's endless "bugs" on rendering engine.

After layout is pretty much done, I look it in IE. If layout has problems in
IE, I'll tweak it a bit so it works in IE too. I find it much faster to get
layout work this way than testing in IE first, and only after whole page
done testing in FireFox and Opera trying figure out why something ain't
looking proper.

IE is ridden with all kinds rendering bugs so it's much harder to find
problems if "rely" on what page looks on IE and then afterwards start tweak
pages to work for other browsers...

Then again that's just how I do things

<snip>

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Wÿrm" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:dgrte5$dhc$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
> viestissä:FseYe.34350$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
> <snip>
>
> > What would you do if you found out that most users visiting your website
> > use
> > IE?

> Dunno about other people, but roughly 86% (number might be different in
> reality because browser stats are not most reliable numbers) of my

visitors
> (pages are aimed for people that are very far from being tech savvy

people)
> are using IE.
>
> I design pages using FireFox and Opera as main browser to check out how
> layout etc. works because they follow CSS etc. much more closely than IE

and
> it's endless "bugs" on rendering engine.
>
> After layout is pretty much done, I look it in IE. If layout has problems

in
> IE, I'll tweak it a bit so it works in IE too. I find it much faster to

get
> layout work this way than testing in IE first, and only after whole page
> done testing in FireFox and Opera trying figure out why something ain't
> looking proper.
>
> IE is ridden with all kinds rendering bugs so it's much harder to find
> problems if "rely" on what page looks on IE and then afterwards start

tweak
> pages to work for other browsers...
>
> Then again that's just how I do things
>
> <snip>

I agree on most things which you have written above.
The only thing is that I have to test first whether I can load so many
browsers on the computers I use.
Again, only one new issue has been discussed today, that is that only IE
renders the homepage.
What about the other pages?
I am not going to fix all the problems concerning my website in a short time
but it can be useful to get to know them now.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(я итальянец но я живу в Швеции )
(我是 意大利人 , 但是 我 住 在 瑞典)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Wrm

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestiss:vTeYe.34359$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> The only thing is that I have to test first whether I can load so many
> browsers on the computers I use.

And why is this a problem?

Even my old 150 mhz, computer can handle more than just IE. Not that I use
that computer for anything currently.

It's not a HD space issue unless you're having like 200MB HD or something,
and I very much doubt that to be case. Browsers do not take gigabytes of HD
space you know. And they can happily co-exist with IE. So only "issue" here
is you not installing other browsers. It's much easier to install other
browsers and look pages yourself on them 1st, than go on ask others
everytime you do a change and hope it fixes something.

<snip>