Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Please criticize my website.

Please criticize my website.

rf

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
> news:TM2Ye.1718$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> >
> > > What does AFAICT mean?

> > http://www.google.com.au/search?q=afaict
> >

> Ok. So you mean that, as far as you can tell, there is nothing which I can
> do
> to correct this mistake and let Firefox show the table without breaking

it.

No, I don't mean that at all.

You asked "what does this depend on".

I interpret this to mean "at my end". That is, what can I, the user, do to
produce/eliminate the problem.

I answered that it does not depend on anything [at my end], as in browser
size, user font size etc. It is a permanent authoring error.

<tinkers/>

FWIW it is caused by you specifying display: block; for your td elements.

IE is so broken that it will ignore display: block; for td elements. FF
accepts it, with the bizarre results we see.

Why do you want your td elements to be display: block; anyway? They are part
of a table, they should be display: table-row; surely.

No, belay that. I don't want to know

Cheers
Richard.

JDS

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:20:45 +0000, wrote:

> Ah yes, I remember now, the paranoia bit. I largely ignored it then.

So if I point out his misunderstanding of the how and why behind https, he
will not get it? 'cause I was about to tell him the flaws in his thinking
on the issue.

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, "rf" <@invalid.com> quothed:

> Why do you want your td elements to be display: block; anyway? They are part
> of a table, they should be display: table-row; surely.
>
> No, belay that. I don't want to know

That was definitely my biggest laugh of the week.

--
Neredbojias

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:du2Ye.86403$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Ooh! Ooh! I've got one too!
>>http://k75s.home.att.net/images/luigi.jpg

> Thank you for posting it.
> Do you know what it depends on?

Probably a design error of yours.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

JDS wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:20:45 +0000, wrote:
>
>> Ah yes, I remember now, the paranoia bit. I largely ignored it
>> then.

> So if I point out his misunderstanding of the how and why behind
> https, he will not get it? 'cause I was about to tell him the
> flaws in his thinking on the issue.

That was tried some months ago when he decided to "secure" his site by
making all the regular old ordinary pages "https." He thinks it really
is more secure, and that his visitors will appreciate it.

Luigi has done .. triple? .. work on his site because of this.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

dorayme

> From: "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> I know that my website
> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
> is far from being perfect.
> I have modified a few things since we talked about it a few months ago.
> For example there are probably much less validation errors than there used
> to be some months ago, I have begun to create subsubdirectories, I have
> begun using
> <?php include "menu-svenska.html"; ?> and the like to be able to save the
> menu.
> There are also some new pictures, the homepage has changed.
> But there are probably many other things to improve.
> Do you have any suggestions?
> Thank you very much in advance and for any help which you gave me before in
> this NG.
>
> --
> Luigi Donatello Asero

It looks badly broken on my best browser on Mac OS9 (Mozilla
1.3.1). It will surely be pointed out by others. If not, I will
send you a screen shot. Are you looking at this site of yours in
all the browsers you can? Using screen shot services on the
internet for other platform browsers and getting rid of all the
markup errors as shown by validation services?

dorayme

dorayme

> From: "rf" <@invalid.com>
>
> Luigi Donatello Asero
>>
>> "rf" <@invalid.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> news:G02Ye.1259$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The centre column layout is broken in Firefox.

>> What does the problem depend on?

> AFAICT nothing. It's permanently broken.
>
>> The page validates.

> Validation does not imply that it works.
>
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/screenshot/l.jpg
>
> BTW Why on earth is that page serverd up as HTTPS? I see no input fields
> anywhere on that page that would require a secure connection.
>
> Cheers
> Richard

I beg you with all my heart... Don't go there again. This whole
business was gone into last time around with Luigi... It is like
a religious discussion. He wants secure. Let him have it!

dorayme

rf

JDS wrote:

> > Ah yes, I remember now, the paranoia bit. I largely ignored it then.

> So if I point out his misunderstanding of the how and why behind https, he
> will not get it? 'cause I was about to tell him the flaws in his thinking
> on the issue.

Correct. Absolutely everybody advised him against it during the original
discussion. Everybodys advice was dismissed.

It appears that the pages *must* be served encrypted so some nasty third
party hacker will not be able to change them during their travels from the
server to the client. The viewer *must* be secure in the knowledge that the
information on the page being viewed *is* in fact the same information that
the author placed on the server.

The overheads HTTPS incurs are not, apparently, an issue.

Cheers
Richard.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:BF570FAA.17305%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > From: "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> > I know that my website
> > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
> > is far from being perfect.
> > I have modified a few things since we talked about it a few months ago.
> > For example there are probably much less validation errors than there

used
> > to be some months ago, I have begun to create subsubdirectories, I have
> > begun using
> > <?php include "menu-svenska.html"; ?> and the like to be able to save

the
> > menu.
> > There are also some new pictures, the homepage has changed.
> > But there are probably many other things to improve.
> > Do you have any suggestions?
> > Thank you very much in advance and for any help which you gave me before

in
> > this NG.
> >
> > --
> > Luigi Donatello Asero

> It looks badly broken on my best browser on Mac OS9 (Mozilla
> 1.3.1). It will surely be pointed out by others. If not, I will
> send you a screen shot. Are you looking at this site of yours in
> all the browsers you can?

Well, actually, I am not.
I understand that it would be better to do that although it is partly a
matter of resources.
See also my previous post in this thread.
How does the page look now after the changes which I have made, anyway?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:hf4Ye.115018$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i

meddelandet
> > news:du2Ye.86403$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Ooh! Ooh! I've got one too!
> >>http://k75s.home.att.net/images/luigi.jpg