Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > iFrame ettiquette

iFrame ettiquette

Wings

I put a state highway conditions page into my page on hiking, via an iframe,
as highway conditions were important to our groups bi-weekly hiking trips.
However, I've been somewhat uncomfortable over this. Just what are the
ettiquette rules for grabbing someone else's page to enhance your own? One
part of me says they should be happy for the exposure, but I realize that I
am using them for my own purposes. Yes, I could link to them. but their page
works so well with mine. Any comments in this regard? Is there a site
dedicated to questions like this?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Higson

Wings wrote:

> I put a state highway conditions page into my page on hiking, via an
> iframe, as highway conditions were important to our groups bi-weekly
> hiking trips. However, I've been somewhat uncomfortable over this. Just
> what are the ettiquette rules for grabbing someone else's page to enhance
> your own? One part of me says they should be happy for the exposure, but I
> realize that I am using them for my own purposes. Yes, I could link to
> them. but their page works so well with mine. Any comments in this regard?
> Is there a site dedicated to questions like this?

So long as you aren't passing your content off as theirs, I don't see why
anyone would mind. If you want to make sure, why not just ask them?

mbstevens

Wings wrote:
> I put a state highway conditions page into my page on hiking, via an iframe,
> as highway conditions were important to our groups bi-weekly hiking trips.
> However, I've been somewhat uncomfortable over this. Just what are the
> ettiquette rules for grabbing someone else's page to enhance your own? One
> part of me says they should be happy for the exposure, but I realize that I
> am using them for my own purposes. Yes, I could link to them. but their page
> works so well with mine. Any comments in this regard? Is there a site
> dedicated to questions like this?

I think you should at least ask their permission before framing
it. An iframe gives the impression that the content is yours.
Many people even insert JS code into their pages just to keep
people from framing their content. I've been known to do it.

And then there's the other issue -- for internet use frames are
just no good.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/preprocessor

IWP506@gmail.com

IMO, as long as you let your viewers know that it's not yours, and tell
them whose it is, it's fine.

PeterMcC

<(E-Mail Removed) .com>

> IMO, as long as you let your viewers know that it's not yours, and
> tell them whose it is, it's fine.

There have been a couple of similar responses and I'd caution against acting
on that basis without getting qualified advice.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

SpaceGirl

PeterMcC wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed) .com>
>
>>IMO, as long as you let your viewers know that it's not yours, and
>>tell them whose it is, it's fine.

> There have been a couple of similar responses and I'd caution against acting
> on that basis without getting qualified advice.

Who says the advice in here isn't qualified?

I'd go with getting permission. And I AM qualified

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Morgan

Wings wrote:
> I put a state highway conditions page into my page on hiking, via an iframe,
> as highway conditions were important to our groups bi-weekly hiking trips.
> However, I've been somewhat uncomfortable over this. Just what are the
> ettiquette rules for grabbing someone else's page to enhance your own? One
> part of me says they should be happy for the exposure, but I realize that I
> am using them for my own purposes. Yes, I could link to them. but their page
> works so well with mine. Any comments in this regard? Is there a site
> dedicated to questions like this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

In legal terms, there is a concept called fair use which applies to
internet content/copyright.

Basically if you use the information for a non-profit purpose you're
ok. If however you use the information that isn't your content in a
profit context of any kind you could be sued, even if you just copied a
simple gif image from the site.

(In which case ask them, and then if they don't give it, you'll have to
make up your own content.)

See this link for more info on it.

http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellec...y/copypol2.htm

JDS

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:10:46 +0100, Jim Higson wrote:

> So long as you aren't passing your content off as theirs, I don't see why
> anyone would mind. If you want to make sure, why not just ask them?

How about the fact that he is using their bandwidth as his own? Even these
days, bandwidth still costs money

--
JDS | (E-Mail Removed)
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Jim Higson

JDS wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:10:46 +0100, Jim Higson wrote:
>
>> So long as you aren't passing your content off as theirs, I don't see why
>> anyone would mind. If you want to make sure, why not just ask them?

> How about the fact that he is using their bandwidth as his own? Even these
> days, bandwidth still costs money

I said "So long as you aren't passing your content off as theirs". Anyway,
the question is mute - just ask if they mind.

Jim

Morgan

>How about the fact that he is using their bandwidth as his own? Even these
>days, bandwidth still costs money.

Excellent point. The site owners are unlikely to be happy about this
if they are paying for their brandwidth.