Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What is active content?

What is active content?

The Eclectic Electric

Apparently something in my web page causes IE6 to think that I'm about to
launch an all out attack on the client's PC. I thought it might be the
embedded sound, but I've visited another site with embedded sound and that
didn't flash the warning. Obviously I'm NOT trying to do anything
malicious!!! But it would be nice if the warning wasn't triggered. Any
ideas? (I'm basically cutting and pasting so don't in all honesty know what
I'm doing - the page is a VERY draft 'proof of concept'.)

http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/test1c.html

+e

Travis Newbury

The Eclectic Electric wrote:
> Apparently something in my web page causes IE6 to think that I'm about to
> launch an all out attack on the client's PC.

Didn't give me any issues at all.

> http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/test1c.html

Use something other than Photoshop to create your site. the image
slicing is a complete waste of time and energy. There are much simpler
ways of to make the site work.

--
-=tn=-

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, The Eclectic Electric quothed:

> Apparently something in my web page causes IE6 to think that I'm about to
> launch an all out attack on the client's PC. I thought it might be the
> embedded sound, but I've visited another site with embedded sound and that
> didn't flash the warning. Obviously I'm NOT trying to do anything
> malicious!!! But it would be nice if the warning wasn't triggered. Any
> ideas? (I'm basically cutting and pasting so don't in all honesty know what
> I'm doing - the page is a VERY draft 'proof of concept'.)
>
> http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/test1c.html

I didn't get any warnings or alerts, -ie6,xp.

As a guess, maybe the "active content" setting in newer versions is a
problem. And, if that *is* it, just ignore it. I say this because if
the user wants to be so-alerted, that's his choice.

--
Neredbojias

The Eclectic Electric

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> The Eclectic Electric wrote:
>> Apparently something in my web page causes IE6 to think that I'm about to
>> launch an all out attack on the client's PC.

> Didn't give me any issues at all.
>
>> http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/test1c.html

> Use something other than Photoshop to create your site. the image
> slicing is a complete waste of time and energy. There are much simpler
> ways of to make the site work.

I've got a plan with the Photoshop thing (equally divided slices, reduced
image size) and it is a tool I'm very familiar with. Basically the design
of the front page will be a hand-painted picture, similar to what's there
already and by swapping slices over I'm going to create little animations.
I appreciate this is probably a lot easier in Flash, but I've always found
that quite an awkward thing to get the hang of and I like the challenge of
building it this way.

What other tools could I use for the slicing?

+e

P.S. - thanks for looking at the site for me

The Eclectic Electric

"Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> With neither quill nor qualm, The Eclectic Electric quothed:
>
>> Apparently something in my web page causes IE6 to think that I'm about to
>> launch an all out attack on the client's PC. I thought it might be the
>> embedded sound, but I've visited another site with embedded sound and
>> that
>> didn't flash the warning. Obviously I'm NOT trying to do anything
>> malicious!!! But it would be nice if the warning wasn't triggered. Any
>> ideas? (I'm basically cutting and pasting so don't in all honesty know
>> what
>> I'm doing - the page is a VERY draft 'proof of concept'.)
>>
>> http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/test1c.html

> I didn't get any warnings or alerts, -ie6,xp.

How weird!

> As a guess, maybe the "active content" setting in newer versions is a
> problem. And, if that *is* it, just ignore it. I say this because if
> the user wants to be so-alerted, that's his choice.

I agree to an extent, but the sort of people accessing this site will often
be naive users and they'd be put off if I.E. suggested the site might do
something nasty to their PC. In fact, I'd be put off too. But neither of
you found it gave the warning anyway, so I guess it's all clear for now.

+e

mbstevens

The Eclectic Electric wrote:
> "Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>>>http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/test1c.html

>>Use something other than Photoshop to create your site. the image
>>slicing is a complete waste of time and energy. There are much simpler
>>ways of to make the site work.

> What other tools could I use for the slicing?

I find having to watch sliced images load distracting and
usually irritating.

If you _must_ slice, don't use tables to recombine the images
on the webpage.

Have a look here:
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edg...ious/demo.html

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, The Eclectic Electric quothed:

> "Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > With neither quill nor qualm, The Eclectic Electric quothed:
> >
> >> Apparently something in my web page causes IE6 to think that I'm about to
> >> launch an all out attack on the client's PC. I thought it might be the
> >> embedded sound, but I've visited another site with embedded sound and
> >> that
> >> didn't flash the warning. Obviously I'm NOT trying to do anything
> >> malicious!!! But it would be nice if the warning wasn't triggered. Any
> >> ideas? (I'm basically cutting and pasting so don't in all honesty know
> >> what
> >> I'm doing - the page is a VERY draft 'proof of concept'.)
> >>
> >> http://freespace.virgin.net/phil.houghton/test1c.html

> > I didn't get any warnings or alerts, -ie6,xp.

> How weird!
>

> > As a guess, maybe the "active content" setting in newer versions is a
> > problem. And, if that *is* it, just ignore it. I say this because if
> > the user wants to be so-alerted, that's his choice.

> I agree to an extent, but the sort of people accessing this site will often
> be naive users and they'd be put off if I.E. suggested the site might do
> something nasty to their PC. In fact, I'd be put off too. But neither of
> you found it gave the warning anyway, so I guess it's all clear for now.

Nix, not so weird. It didn't give me a warning because I unchecked the
option the second day I had my new xp-ed computer. Realize also that I
would not have received a warning on my old millenium computer with
ostensibly the same browser version.

Your concerns are valid but so is the response I made. The "flaw" here
is once again an ill-advised Microsoft decision.

--
Neredbojias