Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Safari users, help please

Safari users, help please

dorayme

> From: "Alan J. Flavell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, dorayme wrote:
>
>>> From: "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>
>>> Better to get the server to send a real HTTP header to that effect, for
>>> which the meta tag is merely an inferior substitute.

>> And this is done by ...?

> Reading existing postings, FAQs and (gasp) documentation is said to be
> quite efficacious.

Depends.

> Failing that, http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset
> might offer some useful hints.

OK... I took a look. I usually just put

charset=iso-8859-1">

in the head and no one seems to have had any trouble with my
websites on this account. But I understand it is not the best.
So be a sport and just say what else I should do exactly. Put
what where or do what. If it is "contact the various servers and
ask them this and that and ..." I will likely have to put it off
because of work pressures... If it is a matter of putting some
definite text (somewhere in my html docs) I will do that.

If anything happens to my sites, if the sites turn up in Chinese
or if a Russian mafia gang gets upset because of text
difficulties and sets out to put a contract on my family of my
cat, I will hold you personally responsible if it is a simple
matter of me putting a bit of text in the right place. You, Alan
Flavell, come on: spill the beans!

I am not immedietely helped by remarks in the reference you give
such as:

"It is very important to always label Web documents explicitly.
HTTP 1.1 says that the default charset is ISO-8859-1. But there
are too many unlabeled documents in other encodings, so browsers
use the reader's preferred encoding when there is no explicit
charset parameter.

The line in the HTTP header typically looks like this:

Because what is it I am supposed to do in a concrete manner. I
know I should know these things by now but I don't and that is
where you come in... What is the point in me having an indirect
relationship with you if you don't come good on this stuff? No
point at all, that's the point. Spill the beans and tell me all
Alan...

dorayme

Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, dorayme wrote:

> > From: "Alan J. Flavell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >
> > Failing that, http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset
> > might offer some useful hints.

> OK... I took a look. I usually just put

> charset=iso-8859-1">

Or, presumably, whatever other character encoding scheme (e.g utf- one
is using in one's document...

> in the head and no one seems to have had any trouble with my
> websites on this account.

well, that will indeed achieve the intended result if the server is
not already sending a contradictory "charset" value on a real HTTP header,
(something which seems to be happening more often nowadays).

The real HTTP header is authoritative: you can't override it with
a "meta", you have to find out how to tame the server.

> But I understand it is not the best.

This is also my opinion, although opinions do vary. But one item of the
underlying theory is fixed, whatever one's opinion: if the server is
sending out a contradictory HTTP header, then it has to be tamed, no way
around it.

If it isn't doing that, then one does still have the option, agreed.

> So be a sport and just say what else I should do exactly.

Personally, I'd use AddCharset in a .htaccess file (that's for
Apache-based servers, of course), just like it said in the cited W3C
page (I hope you read that far

But that depends not only on what server it is, but also what facilities
it has opened to its document owners. That's why there isn't a single
correct answer, and that's why I offered a pointer to a whole menagerie of
possibilities, one or more of which may be open to the questioner.

What it comes down to is that one has to ask one's server nicely to send
the appropriate HTTP header, but what "nicely" means depends very much on
circumstances. Sorry, don't blame me, that's just the way that it is: I
wasn't deliberately trying to be obscure, even if it looked that way.