Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Which doctype do I use?

Which doctype do I use?

Jim Scott

How do I know which doctype to use?
I use HTML 4.01 Transitional - dunno why - it just sort of happened.
Is it right or wrong and how would I know?
I have looked at various sites inc. W3C, but they don't make it clearer to
me.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Jonathan N. Little

Jim Scott wrote:
> How do I know which doctype to use?
> I use HTML 4.01 Transitional - dunno why - it just sort of happened.
> Is it right or wrong and how would I know?
> I have looked at various sites inc. W3C, but they don't make it clearer to
> me.

Look at your code, check the specs, especially what is deprecated and
obsolete

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/...html#h-A.3.1.2

If your do not have a real reason to do otherwise make your code HTML
4.01 strict, validate it to flag and fix errors.

http://validator.w3.org/

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

jb

> How do I know which doctype to use?
> I use HTML 4.01 Transitional - dunno why - it just sort of happened.
> Is it right or wrong and how would I know?
> I have looked at various sites inc. W3C, but they don't make it clearer to
> me.

If you want to look good, use a more recent doctype.

Toby Inkster

Jim Scott wrote:

> Which doctype do I use?
> I use HTML 4.01 Transitional

You answered your own question!

Which doctype should you use? That's a matter for debate. HTML 4.0 Strict,
HTML 4.01 Strict, XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1 and ISO/IEC 15445:2000(E)
are five good answers.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Jim Scott

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:10:36 +0100, Toby Inkster wrote:

> Jim Scott wrote:
>
>> Which doctype do I use?
>> I use HTML 4.01 Transitional

> You answered your own question!
>
> Which doctype should you use? That's a matter for debate. HTML 4.0 Strict,
> HTML 4.01 Strict, XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1 and ISO/IEC 15445:2000(E)
> are five good answers.

Ha!
Alright, the question should have been "which do you advise me to use".
Your answer seems to be any one which is 'strict' rather than not.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, jb wrote:

> If you want to look good, use a more recent doctype.

XHTML/1.0 Transitional is "more recent" than HTML/4.01 Strict, but,
far from making someone look "good", some of us think it makes them
look silly.

XHTML/1.0 Transitional could be regarded as a proof of concept by the W3C.
Whether "they" (the collective "they") ever expected anyone to seriously
use it for authoring, is, I'd suggest, an open question.