Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > A way to send fonts to the user??

A way to send fonts to the user??

rbaulbin@hotmail.com

Hello -

Does there exist any method to send fonts to the user then use those
fonts in HTML documents? I know you can stream fonts with Flash/SVG,
but it would be great to be able to upload whatever fonts you want to
use, and then use them in HTML as you would any other.

RB

Hywel Jenkins

> Hello -
>
> Does there exist any method to send fonts to the user then use those
> fonts in HTML documents? I know you can stream fonts with Flash/SVG,
> but it would be great to be able to upload whatever fonts you want to
> use, and then use them in HTML as you would any other.

Jeez! How many times can this come up in a week? Have you tried
Google? This came up a couple of days ago.

--
Hywel
http://kibo.org.uk/

Obvious

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:17:04 +0100, Hywel Jenkins wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hello -
>>
>> Does there exist any method to send fonts to the user then use those
>> fonts in HTML documents? I know you can stream fonts with Flash/SVG,
>> but it would be great to be able to upload whatever fonts you want to
>> use, and then use them in HTML as you would any other.

> Jeez! How many times can this come up in a week? Have you tried
> Google? This came up a couple of days ago.

Three this week I think, or was that a rhetorical question?

Blinky the Shark

Obvious wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:17:04 +0100, Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hello -
>>>
>>> Does there exist any method to send fonts to the user then use those
>>> fonts in HTML documents? I know you can stream fonts with Flash/SVG,
>>> but it would be great to be able to upload whatever fonts you want to
>>> use, and then use them in HTML as you would any other.

>> Jeez! How many times can this come up in a week? Have you tried
>> Google? This came up a couple of days ago.

> Three this week I think, or was that a rhetorical question?

I don't think I saw *that* many, or was that a rhetorical question?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Hywel Jenkins wrote :
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Hello -
>>
>> Does there exist any method to send fonts to the user then use those
>> fonts in HTML documents? I know you can stream fonts with Flash/SVG,
>> but it would be great to be able to upload whatever fonts you want to
>> use, and then use them in HTML as you would any other.

> Jeez! How many times can this come up in a week? Have you tried
> Google? This came up a couple of days ago.

Your reaction, a very fair and legitimate one, just proves the need to
document frequently asked questions somewhere so that we can easily
provide a simple sentence along with a link.

alt.html FAQ goes very silent in this very page:

How do I get a page to show a font that the user doesn't have?
http://www.html-faq.com/htmlembed/?embedfonts

while the Web Authoring FAQ
http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/
is also silent on this issue. I think the Web Authoring FAQ is also
rusty, outdated on several issues...

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me

rf

Gérard Talbot wrote:

> alt.html FAQ goes very silent in this very page:

There is no point in an alt.html FAQ.

Those who see it and read it don't need to.

Those who need to read it don't see it. They barge in here (these days
usually from the ever to be damned groups.google) and demand a question be
answered NOW, without reading or even seeing the history, let alone the FAQ.

Cheers
Richard.

Obvious

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:44:54 GMT, rf wrote:

> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>
>> alt.html FAQ goes very silent in this very page:

> There is no point in an alt.html FAQ.
>
> Those who see it and read it don't need to.
>
> Those who need to read it don't see it. They barge in here (these days
> usually from the ever to be damned groups.google) and demand a question be
> answered NOW, without reading or even seeing the history, let alone the FAQ.
>
> Cheers
> Richard.

What amazes me is that if they know about google groups, how come they
don't seem to know how to use the google search and find most of the damn
answers that way.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Obvious wrote :
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:44:54 GMT, rf wrote:
>

>>Gérard Talbot wrote:
>>

>>>alt.html FAQ goes very silent in this very page:

>>There is no point in an alt.html FAQ.
>>
>>Those who see it and read it don't need to.
>>
>>Those who need to read it don't see it. They barge in here (these days
>>usually from the ever to be damned groups.google) and demand a question be
>>answered NOW, without reading or even seeing the history, let alone the FAQ.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Richard.

> What amazes me is that if they know about google groups, how come they
> don't seem to know how to use the google search and find most of the damn
> answers that way.

1st reason: people often poorly word the subject of their post. "Help
me!", "Question about font", "How do I do this?" are typical of post in
many web programming newsgroups. Therefore, searching in google groups
become often a waste of time.

2nd reason: no HTML FAQ available has answered this particular question
of fonts. I still think the best thing to do is to add frequently
answered questions into documents for this purpose and to educate people
into writing meaningful, descriptive subject line. Personally, I avoid
deliberately posts with poor wording of subject line.

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me

rbaulbin@hotmail.com

I did do a cursory search and didn't find it quickly. The reason I
just decided to "post it" is because technology moves so quickly, often
the answers to the same question changes over a 3 month period.

Obvious

On 1 Sep 2005 13:13:55 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I did do a cursory search and didn't find it quickly. The reason I
> just decided to "post it" is because technology moves so quickly, often
> the answers to the same question changes over a 3 month period.

Yes but not usually over three days! The last question on this topic was
28/08/2005 and the title was almost the same as yours. Go figure.