Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to find the date of last update on someone else's page

how to find the date of last update on someone else's page

d.mears@comcast.net

Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
else's webpage is?

Thanks!
Diana

Jonathan N. Little

> Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
> else's webpage is?
>
> Thanks!
> Diana

In Netscape or Mozilla CTRL-I for document information, Firefox used the
hotkey for something else so 'Tools|Page Info' will get you there.

Can't find anything analogous in Opera or Konquer or MSIE

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jafar As-Sadiq Calley

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:43:25 -0700, d.mears wrote:

> Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
> else's webpage is?

I don't know if you can. Anyway, I would consider it a courtesy to your
viewers to add a little "last updated" line somewhere on the homepage. I
do it myself

--
Jafar Calley
Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

Alan J. Flavell

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
> else's webpage is?

Any HTTP server may report a last-modified date, which a client agent can
happily inform you about. (But see below for discussion of what it might
mean).

Here's a trivial example, courtesy of Chris Pederick's "web developer
toolbar" for Mozilla/Firefox (which I'd highly recommend to any user of
those browsers, whether or not they consider themselves to be "web
developers" as such):

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:44:47 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_jk2/2.0.2
Last-Modified: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:11:21 GMT
Etag: "47eb8-4ef0-4313b239"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

200 OK

Note the "Last-Modified" line - but there are plenty of other ways of
seeing this, for example "lynx -head -dump ..." , or, I think, wget, and I
don't know what else. Even speaking HTTP nicely by hand to the server!

On the other hand, that date/time might or might not have been a
substantive change of the content - perhaps merely a technical update.
The only way to know whether the author thinks s/he made a substantive
change to the content, is if they make a practice of putting that
information onto the page itself. There's no purely technical alternative
to that, I'm afraid.

good luck

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
>> else's webpage is?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Diana
>>

> In Netscape or Mozilla CTRL-I for document information, Firefox used the
> hotkey for something else so 'Tools|Page Info' will get you there.
>
> Can't find anything analogous in Opera or Konquer or MSIE

I'm surprised not to find this in Toby's Opera W3-Dev Menu add-in for
Opera. THIS IS NOT a product complaint -- it has a gajillion other
features. Maybe I'm just missing it.

Konq has a heading for it in Ctrl-I (View/DocumentInformation), but on a
page that shows a mod date with WebDev Extension nothing appears.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Toby Inkster

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I'm surprised not to find this in Toby's Opera W3-Dev Menu add-in for
> Opera. THIS IS NOT a product complaint -- it has a gajillion other
> features. Maybe I'm just missing it.

Go get version 2.0!
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Blinky the Shark

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised not to find this in Toby's Opera W3-Dev Menu add-in for
>> Opera. THIS IS NOT a product complaint -- it has a gajillion other
>> features. Maybe I'm just missing it.

> Go get version 2.0! http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

I have the latest version for my release of Opera. Thanks, though.

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Toby Inkster wrote:
>
>> Go get version 2.0! http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

> I have the latest version for my release of Opera. Thanks, though.

Try version 2.0 anyway. It could work, it's just not tested. If it
doesn't, then just go back to the old version.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Blinky the Shark

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Toby Inkster wrote:
>>
>>> Go get version 2.0! http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

>> I have the latest version for my release of Opera. Thanks, though.

> Try version 2.0 anyway. It could work, it's just not tested. If it
> doesn't, then just go back to the old version.

Okay.

--

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Toby Inkster wrote:
>>
>>> Go get version 2.0! http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

>> I have the latest version for my release of Opera. Thanks, though.

> Try version 2.0 anyway. It could work, it's just not tested. If it
> doesn't, then just go back to the old version.

Just did.

Every page I've tested shows January 1, 1970. Can someone provide link
to a page that shows a mod date, so I can see if this has just been bad
luck in sampling or if the feature's borked by using it with an older
version of Opera? Thanks.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263