Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Using DIV for nav menus

Using DIV for nav menus

Bill McCormick

Hello,

I've started using DIV tags instead of TABLE et. al. to build
navigation menu's. I'm using CSS and the pseudo class *hover* to achieve
a flyover effect. The only thing I can't seem to do is make all the menu
selection flyover's the same width. (see http://ace-co.ath.cx/products)

Is this possible?

Thanks,

--
Bill

Klaus Neumann

Bill McCormick wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've started using DIV tags instead of TABLE et. al. to build
> navigation menu's. I'm using CSS and the pseudo class *hover* to achieve
> a flyover effect. The only thing I can't seem to do is make all the menu
> selection flyover's the same width. (see http://ace-co.ath.cx/products)
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,

Welcome to the club! I fixed it with "white-space: pre;". Maybe not the
most elegant solution, but it worked for me, - until someone comes up
with a better idea, that is.

Best regards,
Klaus

Rincewind

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:15:28 GMT, Bill McCormick wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've started using DIV tags instead of TABLE et. al. to build
> navigation menu's. I'm using CSS and the pseudo class *hover* to achieve
> a flyover effect. The only thing I can't seem to do is make all the menu
> selection flyover's the same width. (see http://ace-co.ath.cx/products)
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,

Take a look at http://www.webreference.com/ some excellent tutorials on
menus using pure css and without tables, also look at
http://www.glish.com/css/ for layout techniques.

And your css isn't valid.

Jonathan N. Little

Bill McCormick wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've started using DIV tags instead of TABLE et. al. to build
> navigation menu's. I'm using CSS and the pseudo class *hover* to achieve
> a flyover effect. The only thing I can't seem to do is make all the menu
> selection flyover's the same width. (see http://ace-co.ath.cx/products)
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,

Small point, but basically your page text is black or dark so your
background color #003366 makes most of the page unreadable until the
background image paints. I would make it white or light grey. Wasn't a
problem with Gecko but MSIE took a while to load the background image.
Also there always the possibility that the image can get damaged or
inaccessible for some reason on the server. I always test all my pages
with the background images disabled to see if the fallback background
colors allow this page to maintain legibility.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO