Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Firefox--More Web Design Extensions

Firefox--More Web Design Extensions

Roy Schestowitz

__/ On Monday 29 August 2005 01:22, ["WD10" <.>] wrote : \__

> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.

Good! It will make a good point to refer people to, especially these who
still design and test using IE. I'll blog about it shortly.

> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
> HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
> I have more time...

I didn't know about two of them.

I recommend subscribing to:

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/rs...=E&list=newest

> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
>
> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
> extensions?

Live HTTP Headers < http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ >? Or is that at the
verge of site administration? Web programmers might find it valuable.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
http://Schestowitz.com

WD10

I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.

I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning HTML.
I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when I have
more time...

http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm

Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
extensions?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

WD10 wrote :
> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
>
> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning HTML.
> I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when I have
> more time...
>
> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
>
> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
> extensions?

HTML Tidy Firefox Extension is very useful, I'd say; I've been using it
since version 0.5.
MeasureIt and Colorzilla are not useful: they duplicate what DOM
inspector already does. So I'd say using DOM inspector is much much more
useful than this sort of extensions.

View Rendered Source is interesting for intermediary and advanced users:
they show a graphical representation of the DOM containment hierarchy.

View Formatted Source is not very useful.

Do you know if/when links toolbar extension will be available for
Firefox 1.5 (Deer Park)?

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me

WD10

"Roy Schestowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:detlcc$2g2v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> __/ On Monday 29 August 2005 01:22, ["WD10" <.>] wrote : \__
>
>> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.

> Good! It will make a good point to refer people to, especially these who
> still design and test using IE. I'll blog about it shortly.
>

>> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
>> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
>> HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
>> I have more time...

> I didn't know about two of them.
>
> I recommend subscribing to:
>
> https://addons.update.mozilla.org/rs...=E&list=newest

Thanks for that tip... I also added the page for those feeds to my "Firefox
& RSS" page (http://tips.webdesign10.com/firefox-rss.htm).

>> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
>>
>> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
>> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
>> extensions?

> Live HTTP Headers < http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ >? Or is that at
> the
> verge of site administration? Web programmers might find it valuable.

Good idea.... I added that one to my page. I just installed 30 new
extensions recently for experimentation... I just tried that one and it's
good. I also added a couple more that I forgot the first time around

Roy Schestowitz

__/ On Monday 29 August 2005 03:00, ["WD10" <.>] wrote : \__

> "Roy Schestowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:detlcc$2g2v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> __/ On Monday 29 August 2005 01:22, ["WD10" <.>] wrote : \__
>>
>>> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.

>> Good! It will make a good point to refer people to, especially these who
>> still design and test using IE. I'll blog about it shortly.
>>

>>> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
>>> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
>>> HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design
>>> when I have more time...

>> I didn't know about two of them.
>>
>> I recommend subscribing to:

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/rs...=E&list=newest

> Thanks for that tip... I also added the page for those feeds to my
> "Firefox & RSS" page (http://tips.webdesign10.com/firefox-rss.htm).
>
>>> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
>>> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
>>> extensions?

>> Live HTTP Headers < http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ >? Or is that at
>> the
>> verge of site administration? Web programmers might find it valuable.

> Good idea.... I added that one to my page. I just installed 30 new
> extensions recently for experimentation... I just tried that one and it's
> good. I also added a couple more that I forgot the first time around

Glad to hear it was useful! Will link to your site later this
morning/night...

Roy

WD10

"Gérard Talbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WD10 wrote :
>> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
>>
>> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
>> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
>> HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
>> I have more time...
>>
>> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
>>
>> Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
>> Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
>> extensions?

> HTML Tidy Firefox Extension is very useful, I'd say; I've been using it
> since version 0.5.
> MeasureIt and Colorzilla are not useful: they duplicate what DOM inspector
> already does. So I'd say using DOM inspector is much much more useful than
> this sort of extensions.

The DOM Inspector is great, but don't you think it is a little more work to
open it up and click through it than to just use the icons on the status
bar? Also, is there really a way to use the DOM Inspector to do exactly
what MeasureIt or Colorzilla do? (for example, hover over a graphic to get
the color value, or measuring an area in pixels by using a marquee tool on
the screen?) I don't know how to do that with the DOMi (but would like to
learn). Are you refering to the mouseover DOM inspector bookmarklet from
SlayerOffice?

> View Rendered Source is interesting for intermediary and advanced users:
> they show a graphical representation of the DOM containment hierarchy.
>
> View Formatted Source is not very useful.

I think you're probably right... :S
Maybe I will replace that with some links to info about the DOM Inspector.

> Do you know if/when links toolbar extension will be available for Firefox
> 1.5 (Deer Park)?

I've never used it -- I'm not sure.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

WD10 wrote :
> "Gérard Talbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>WD10 wrote :
>>
>>>I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
>>>
>>>I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
>>>Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
>>>HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
>>>I have more time...
>>>
>>>http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
>>>
>>>Let me know what you think or if you know of some other good ways to use
>>>Firefox for web design. Are there any features I missed with those
>>>extensions?

>>HTML Tidy Firefox Extension is very useful, I'd say; I've been using it
>>since version 0.5.
>>MeasureIt and Colorzilla are not useful: they duplicate what DOM inspector
>>already does. So I'd say using DOM inspector is much much more useful than
>>this sort of extensions.

> The DOM Inspector is great, but don't you think it is a little more work to
> open it up and click through it than to just use the icons on the status
> bar? Also, is there really a way to use the DOM Inspector to do exactly
> what MeasureIt or Colorzilla do? (for example, hover over a graphic to get
> the color value, or measuring an area in pixels by using a marquee tool on
> the screen?) I don't know how to do that with the DOMi (but would like to
> learn).

For an element's measurement:
Choose DOM Nodes in the left panel and then Object Computed Style in the
rigth panel and then look for width, height; this is more useful, more
reliable than Object Box model/dimensions since you get to know which
-moz-box-sizing is in use.
Also, Object Javascript object will report other useful values:

/ Top
/ client / Left
elementReference. / offset / Width
\ scroll \ Height

For colorzilla:
Choose DOM Nodes in the left panel, then Object Computed Style in the
right panel and then color and background-color. If colorzilla is able
to discriminate colors inside an image (and I doubt it can do that),
then this specific feature is not in DOM inspector.

Are you refering to the mouseover DOM inspector bookmarklet from
> SlayerOffice?

No, I was not.

>>View Rendered Source is interesting for intermediary and advanced users:
>>they show a graphical representation of the DOM containment hierarchy.
>>
>>View Formatted Source is not very useful.

> I think you're probably right... :S
> Maybe I will replace that with some links to info about the DOM Inspector.
>

>>Do you know if/when links toolbar extension will be available for Firefox
>>1.5 (Deer Park)?

> I've never used it -- I'm not sure.

See in the status bar of this image:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...cription7a.gif

Gérard
--
remove blah to email me

Blinky the Shark

WD10 wrote:

> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
>
> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning HTML.
> I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when I have
> more time...
>
> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm

Both now linked (Webmaster section):

http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_internet.html

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Blinky the Shark] on Monday 29 August 2005 05:14 \__

> WD10 wrote:
>
>> I'm adding more content to my Firefox & Web Design Tips pages.
>>
>> I listed 4 more Firefox extensions useful for web design besides the Web
>> Developer Toolbar. I think they are useful to anyone who is learning
>> HTML. I'm going to add more pages about using Firefox for web design when
>> I have more time...
>>
>> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm

> Both now linked (Webmaster section):
>
> http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_internet.html

Ditto.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archiv...irefox-design/

To say a little more, the Web Developer Extension does not only complement
existing tools, but I think it replaces a few commercial equivalents. I
always enjoy seeing this trend, whereby every functionality moves to the
browser. With the Horde project I can now /efficiently/ handle multiple
E-mail accounts in the browser, edit files in the browser (server-side),
have FTP in a tab if necessary and even debug designs in the browser.
What's next? Newsgroups reader (proper one, no GG)? Hmmm... what if some
AJAX was involved? That might make a good start-up.

Roy

WD10

"Gérard Talbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WD10 wrote :
>> "Gérard Talbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-extensions.htm
>> The DOM Inspector is great, but don't you think it is a little more work
>> to open it up and click through it than to just use the icons on the
>> status bar? Also, is there really a way to use the DOM Inspector to do
>> exactly what MeasureIt or Colorzilla do? (for example, hover over a
>> graphic to get the color value, or measuring an area in pixels by using a
>> marquee tool on the screen?) I don't know how to do that with the DOMi
>> (but would like to learn).

> For an element's measurement:
> Choose DOM Nodes in the left panel and then Object Computed Style in the
> rigth panel and then look for width, height; this is more useful, more
> reliable than Object Box model/dimensions since you get to know
> which -moz-box-sizing is in use.
> Also, Object Javascript object will report other useful values:
>
> / Top
> / client / Left
> elementReference. / offset / Width
> \ scroll \ Height
>
> For colorzilla:
> Choose DOM Nodes in the left panel, then Object Computed Style in the
> right panel and then color and background-color. If colorzilla is able to
> discriminate colors inside an image (and I doubt it can do that), then
> this specific feature is not in DOM inspector.

Thanks for those tips. I'm going to add some DOM Inspector information to
my site when I have time. I think the MeasureIt extension is a little
different from what the DOMi does. I haven't had a use for MeasureIt yet,
but I can see where it could be useful. For example, measuring a part of a
page to see how many pixels you want a future image to be.

Colorzilla can discriminate colors inside an image. It's useful when inside
Firefox, but a free program called Pixie is better overall because it's not
limited to Firefox (for example if you want to match the color in an image
that is open in another program). It's just slower to start Pixie than to
click the status bar in Firefox, and I think Pixie only runs on Windows.

>>>View Rendered Source is interesting for intermediary and advanced users:
>>>they show a graphical representation of the DOM containment hierarchy.
>>>
>>>View Formatted Source is not very useful.

>> I think you're probably right... :S
>> Maybe I will replace that with some links to info about the DOM
>> Inspector.
>>

>>>Do you know if/when links toolbar extension will be available for Firefox
>>>1.5 (Deer Park)?

>> I've never used it -- I'm not sure.

> See in the status bar of this image:
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...cription7a.gif