Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Firefox Web Developer Toolbar Extension

Firefox Web Developer Toolbar Extension

kchayka

Mark Parnell wrote:
> Previously in alt.html, WD10 <.> said:
>
>> Thanks for that. I fixed it. If you know of any other good extensions for
>> web development let me know and I'll add them to the site.

> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

I use the web developer toolbar for just about everything, but the
prefbar has one extra handy feature - changing the UA on the fly. There
is only 1 site I frequent where I actually need it, so most of the time
the prefbar stays hidden.

> plus it has the
> ability to disable more things, such as Flash.

I prefer the FlashBlock extension for this, since all Flash is turned
off by default and I can enable only those I particularly want to see on
the fly, rather than an all-or-nothing switch. Need I mention that I
rarely enable any?
<URL:http://flashblock.mozdev.org/>

Stan McCann

"WD10" <.> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for that. I fixed it. If you know of any other good
> extensions for web development let me know and I'll add them to the
> site.

Nice site. Bookmarked. Thanks.

http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Els

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

[tabbing between tabs]
>> Well, I ususally only switch between two, max 3 at one time - so
>> the brain power is saved by not having to deal with the 20-odd
>> other tabs that are open at the same time

> Do you not suffer from that spatial clutter? I bet you cannot read
> the tab titles, not even with a high-resolution dual-head.

Only in Opera I have so many open at the same time. Basically cause
it opens every link from Usenet in a new tab. Occasionally it happens
that I want to check a page again, after opening four more, but
holding down the CTRL key after one 'CTRL-tab' gives me a vertical
list of all the open pages, so it's easy to find it back.

> Firefox doesn't allow for vertical alignment of tabs, yet. Must be
> like hell working on your browser...
> CTRL+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W, which luckily in
> Firefox requires 2 persistent keystrokes (Linux at the least).

I never use CTRL+W

In Firefox I like the fact that the cross for closing a tab is not on
the tab itself, but to the right. The usual amount of tabs open in
Firefox for me is about 6 to 10. And usually pages I'm accustomed to,
I recognize the favicons if I can't read the titles.

>>> In practice, I only navigate using the digits for tabs 1 to 3,
>>> maybe 4. That's where I usually have fundamental stuff like my
>>> portal and a CMS.

>> Big difference - only using 1 to 4 tabs, yes, easy to remember
>> which tab number you need.

> It's usually quite consistent too, which serves as a mnemonic. When
> I come to think of it, it is reminiscent of my placement of
> applications on the display. XMMS between screen 1 and 2, desktop
> junk on the left, browser on the right screen (which has better
> definition) and the rest is tossed at the left.

Two screens... I can only wish :\ I have a sidebar on my desktop,
and use alt-tab (with some XP power tool) between progs. Dialog and
OE are always full screen, Opera on about 1000x950, and Firefox on
whichever size I'm checking pages in. Apache minimized, chatwindows
about 500x900, Textpad and Ace-FTP almost fullscreen.

[personal portal]
> At risk of crossing the line onto self-promotion, many things I
> learned from experience are here <
> http://www.schestowitz.com/Portal/ >.

That looks very interesting. Especially the way you grouped the
links. I'll be sure to have another look at it when I revise my own.
Thanks

> Hmmmm... if only I could find shareware beer...

Isn't that what you have when you're playing quarters?

>> (and I was asking for it - using OE! <g>)

> I am just as guilty as you are. I have just set up a professor with
> OE. I told him that he should use Thunderbird, but sitting here at
> the office downloading and installing it would have been bad use of
> my time. *grin*
>
> ...at least I told him it was cr*p... same about Windows...

You did good. <g>

[mail]
>> Anything I
>> need archived goes in subfolders, which I occasionally store
>> elsewhere on the HD, or on CD.

> CD's are hard to mirror,

What do you mean by that?

> so I keep everything on a single physical
> hard-drive. My obsession with archives sometimes scares me.

With such an obsession for archives, I'd be scared of a crashing
hard-drive.

>>> I chose to export it to HTML using a Ruby script.

>> Is that easy to do? My mails are in flat text, but there are HTML
>> attachments and pics and sound files and stuff. How is that all
>> stored then?

> It outputs rich HTML. Then again, by importing OE to Thunderbird,
> which is a non-lossy conversion, you get MBOX archives, which
> MHonArc, for instance, handles gracefully.

Okay, thanks.

> As time goes by, I am beginning to lean towards Web-based because I back my
> webspace up very frequently, it backs 'itself' up and it keeps mail away
> from me. I remember the days when I woke up looking forward to mail in my
> box. I am the complete opposite now.

I still like getting mail. Get disappointed about 20 times a day, but
that's okay

>> I hate Thunderbird's 'extra line' bug. (extra empty line between
>> different quoted bits)

> I never noticed that one. Perhaps it got fixed?

Doubt it.
Some time ago someone said it was fixed, so I downloaded the latest
version. It wasn't.

>>> Good luck with SuSE. I tried many distros, but SuSE (which I use most of
>>> the time) is king.

>> Queen

> *LOL*
>
> http://www.schestowitz.com/IMG/roysuse.gif

I never saw that one, but it proves I'm right
(well, unless I have the wrong impression of you <g>)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Roy Schestowitz

__/ On Friday 26 August 2005 21:28, [Els] wrote : \__

[tabbing between tabs]

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>> Well, I ususally only switch between two, max 3 at one time - so
>>> the brain power is saved by not having to deal with the 20-odd
>>> other tabs that are open at the same time

>> Do you not suffer from that spatial clutter? I bet you cannot read
>> the tab titles, not even with a high-resolution dual-head.

> Only in Opera I have so many open at the same time. Basically cause
> it opens every link from Usenet in a new tab.

I ended up with the same setup some months ago, particularly for opening
from feeds. I kept 'losing' tabs if links were opened in the tab currently
in focus. I am more afraid about losing track of 'impending Web pages' to
skimp than I am of having many tabs open.

> Occasionally it happens
> that I want to check a page again, after opening four more, but
> holding down the CTRL key after one 'CTRL-tab' gives me a vertical
> list of all the open pages, so it's easy to find it back.

I still think that vertical tabs may (if not should) become an option, even
a hidden one. Did you know about the 'search as you begin typing'
accessibility feature? I use it all the time, especially in my portal. I
can type the first 2 or 3 letters of a link, which then sets in in focus
(yes, it does that!), so ENTER follows the link. It is useful once the
portal gets gigantic; you only need press 3 keys to get to each
destination. CTRL+T->ALT+Home to return to the portal in new tab. This had
me lose the hype for mouse gestures.

Excuse my freaky browsing obsessions... I hope I don't give the wrong
impression. Honestly.

>> Firefox doesn't allow for vertical alignment of tabs, yet. Must be
>> like hell working on your browser...
>> CTRL+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W+W, which luckily in
>> Firefox requires 2 persistent keystrokes (Linux at the least).

> I never use CTRL+W
>
> In Firefox I like the fact that the cross for closing a tab is not on
> the tab itself, but to the right.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. RSSOwl makes that mistake.

> The usual amount of tabs open in
> Firefox for me is about 6 to 10. And usually pages I'm accustomed to,
> I recognize the favicons if I can't read the titles.

It becomes problematic if sites are broad or when you visit foreign sites.

>>> Big difference - only using 1 to 4 tabs, yes, easy to remember
>>> which tab number you need.

>> It's usually quite consistent too, which serves as a mnemonic. When
>> I come to think of it, it is reminiscent of my placement of
>> applications on the display. XMMS between screen 1 and 2, desktop
>> junk on the left, browser on the right screen (which has better
>> definition) and the rest is tossed at the left.

> Two screens... I can only wish :\ I have a sidebar on my desktop,
> and use alt-tab (with some XP power tool) between progs. Dialog and
> OE are always full screen, Opera on about 1000x950, and Firefox on
> whichever size I'm checking pages in. Apache minimized, chatwindows
> about 500x900, Textpad and Ace-FTP almost fullscreen.

You know exactly what you like. *smile*

[personal portal]

>> At risk of crossing the line onto self-promotion, many things I
>> learned from experience are here <
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/Portal/ >.

> That looks very interesting. Especially the way you grouped the
> links. I'll be sure to have another look at it when I revise my own.
> Thanks
>
>> Hmmmm... if only I could find shareware beer...

> Isn't that what you have when you're playing quarters?
>
>>> (and I was asking for it - using OE! <g>)

>> I am just as guilty as you are. I have just set up a professor with
>> OE. I told him that he should use Thunderbird, but sitting here at
>> the office downloading and installing it would have been bad use of
>> my time. *grin*
>>
>> ...at least I told him it was cr*p... same about Windows...

> You did good. <g>

Good for me, or good for him? *grin* And don't get this reversed, what I did
was good (easier) for me, but bad for him. Some would be inclined to think
that I am a UNIX crusader because I converted quite a few... but moving
someone to a free O/S is enlightment, not a conversion.

[mail]

>>> Anything I
>>> need archived goes in subfolders, which I occasionally store
>>> elsewhere on the HD, or on CD.

>> CD's are hard to mirror,

> What do you mean by that?

Making a back-up of the back-up. See below.

>> so I keep everything on a single physical
>> hard-drive. My obsession with archives sometimes scares me.

> With such an obsession for archives, I'd be scared of a crashing
> hard-drive.

No, au contraire (pardon my French). I am prepared to lose a hard-drive any
day. Last time I backed up this entire hard-drive was... about 12 hours
ago. A cron job put all changes since then on the SAN a few hours ago. A
cron job takes care of it.

>>> Is that easy to do? My mails are in flat text, but there are HTML
>>> attachments and pics and sound files and stuff. How is that all
>>> stored then?

>> It outputs rich HTML. Then again, by importing OE to Thunderbird,
>> which is a non-lossy conversion, you get MBOX archives, which
>> MHonArc, for instance, handles gracefully.

> Okay, thanks.
>
>> As time goes by, I am beginning to lean towards Web-based because I back
>> my webspace up very frequently, it backs 'itself' up and it keeps mail
>> away from me. I remember the days when I woke up looking forward to mail
>> in my box. I am the complete opposite now.

> I still like getting mail. Get disappointed about 20 times a day, but
> that's okay

I like 'passive' mail. With all the mailing lists and spam, I still get
plenty to read, but I usually just read some subject lines. Newsgroups are
the exception.

>>> I hate Thunderbird's 'extra line' bug. (extra empty line between
>>> different quoted bits)

>> I never noticed that one. Perhaps it got fixed?

> Doubt it.
> Some time ago someone said it was fixed, so I downloaded the latest
> version. It wasn't.

>>> Queen

>> *LOL*
>>
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/IMG/roysuse.gif

> I never saw that one, but it proves I'm right
> (well, unless I have the wrong impression of you <g>)

I bought a new Linux box about 2-3 hours ago... sister will take my old
laptop. SuSE would be insulted because it's a Mandrake box that I bought.

With 3 Linux boxes (home, work, university) I can now have my triple backup.
Can't beat that! *smile*

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
http://Schestowitz.com

WD10

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-developer-toolbar.htm

> Nice overview. I just added that to my bookmarks for when I suggest the
> WD extension to someone and they ask, "What's it do?"

I'm working on a few other pages about Firefox too, so check back there in a
couple of days. Nothing too detailed, but just a basic overview of certain
good extensions, and things that you can do with Firefox.

> Is the 'cane season over, yet, down there?

I left Miami before the current one hit, and am in Tallahassee at the
moment. I think Katrina is supposed to miss us here... I think the season
is just starting...

WD10

"Stan McCann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "WD10" <.> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Thanks for that. I fixed it. If you know of any other good
>> extensions for web development let me know and I'll add them to the
>> site.

> Nice site. Bookmarked. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback...

WD10

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newskz9ov5qjlu9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Previously in alt.html, WD10 <.> said:
>
>> Thanks for that. I fixed it. If you know of any other good extensions
>> for
>> web development let me know and I'll add them to the site.

> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/ - very handy for testing sites with/without
> Javascript, etc. I know some of those can be done through the web
> developer toolbar, but I find the prefbar easier to use, plus it has the
> ability to disable more things, such as Flash.
> http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ - view the HTTP headers for a page in
> the page properties dialogue.
> http://jennifermadden.com/scripts/Vi...redSource.html - makes the
> source code much nicer to read. Kind of a cross between the DOM
> Inspector and View Source.

Thanks for those links. I'm working on about 4 more pages about different
Firefox extensions. I just installed about 7 more new extensions tonight
Firefox is great...

Blinky the Shark

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> I still think that vertical tabs may (if not should) become an option, even

I really miss them. I got used to a tab stack on the right side of my
Opera window, and I don't want to use the only extension I've found for
Firefox that will do that.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Blinky the Shark

WD10 wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> WD10 wrote:
>>> I'm working on a tutorial for the Firefox Web Developer Toolbar.
>>> (Actually it's more of a quick introduction to the features than a
>>> real tutorial.)
>>>
>>> Take a look and let me know what you think. I think it is a really
>>> useful tool for web design, but a lot of people that I meet don't know
>>> about it.
>>>

> http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-developer-toolbar.htm
>>
>> Nice overview. I just added that to my bookmarks for when I suggest the
>> WD extension to someone and they ask, "What's it do?"

> I'm working on a few other pages about Firefox too, so check back there in a
> couple of days. Nothing too detailed, but just a basic overview of certain
> good extensions, and things that you can do with Firefox.

Will do.

>> Is the 'cane season over, yet, down there?

> I left Miami before the current one hit, and am in Tallahassee at the
> moment. I think Katrina is supposed to miss us here... I think the season
> is just starting...

Good luck with the rest of it.

--

kchayka wrote:

> I use the web developer toolbar for just about everything, but the
> prefbar has one extra handy feature - changing the UA on the fly. There
> is only 1 site I frequent where I actually need it, so most of the time
> the prefbar stays hidden.

If that really is the only reason you have PrefBar, I'll mention that
there's a little 23kb extension named UserAgentSwitcher that does that,
with preconfigured UA strings and the option of creating your own.

http://chrispederick.com/work/firefo...agentswitcher/

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263