Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > asp, php or java, .net or what?

asp, php or java, .net or what?

windandwaves

Hi Gurus

I know this is an html group, but I am sure many of you do web development
work that goes beyond html.

I was wondering what you think works best.
- PHP
- Java something
- .net
- Mysql vs SQL vs Postgres (or whatever these databases are called)
- etc...

I only do php and mysql, but recently someone told me that these are
hopelessly out of date compared to, for example, dot.net.

Personally, I believe that it does not matter, that we will never use all
the potential anyway and that it is more important to know something well
and your actual ideas, the the languages are much of a muchness...

What do you think?

- Nicolaas

Hywel Jenkins

In article <bspPe.5836$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi Gurus
>
> I know this is an html group, but I am sure many of you do web development
> work that goes beyond html.
>
> I was wondering what you think works best.
> - PHP
> - Java something
> - .net
> - Mysql vs SQL vs Postgres (or whatever these databases are called)
> - etc...
>
> I only do php and mysql, but recently someone told me that these are
> hopelessly out of date compared to, for example, dot.net.
>
> Personally, I believe that it does not matter, that we will never use all
> the potential anyway and that it is more important to know something well
> and your actual ideas, the the languages are much of a muchness...
>
> What do you think?

What are your career ambitions? Do you want to be doing trivial little
web sites for the rest of your life, or do you want to give enterprise-
level application development a shot? If it's the latter, you'll need
more than PHP and MySQL. A recent survey indicates that the take-up of
PHP is declining as businesses head for Java and/or .Net applications.

--
Hywel
http://kibo.org.uk/

Safalra

windandwaves wrote:
> I know this is an html group, but I am sure many of you do web development
> work that goes beyond html.
>
> I was wondering what you think works best.
> - PHP
> - Java something
> - .net
> - Mysql vs SQL vs Postgres (or whatever these databases are called)
> - etc...
>
> I only do php and mysql, but recently someone told me that these are
> hopelessly out of date compared to, for example, dot.net.

..NET will only run (reliably) on Windows-based servers (there are some
Linux clones of .NET, but from what my .NET-minded friends tell me they
rather unreliable). Java (-server pages) has greater support for other
platforms, and Java is a fairly nice language. PHP is a mess of a
language, but it seems to be the one most people (including me) use. It
depends on who you're doing web development for, and whether they
insist on a certain host. If they do, PHP with MySQL is probably the
best combination, as most hosts offer a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL,
PHP) solution.

--
Safalra (Stephen Morley)
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

SpaceGirl

Safalra wrote:
> windandwaves wrote:
>
>>I know this is an html group, but I am sure many of you do web development
>>work that goes beyond html.
>>
>>I was wondering what you think works best.
>>- PHP
>>- Java something
>>- .net
>>- Mysql vs SQL vs Postgres (or whatever these databases are called)
>>- etc...
>>
>>I only do php and mysql, but recently someone told me that these are
>>hopelessly out of date compared to, for example, dot.net.

> .NET will only run (reliably) on Windows-based servers (there are some
> Linux clones of .NET, but from what my .NET-minded friends tell me they
> rather unreliable). Java (-server pages) has greater support for other
> platforms, and Java is a fairly nice language. PHP is a mess of a
> language, but it seems to be the one most people (including me) use. It
> depends on who you're doing web development for, and whether they
> insist on a certain host. If they do, PHP with MySQL is probably the
> best combination, as most hosts offer a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL,
> PHP) solution.

..NET runs on the same platforms as Java and PHP. There is an OpenSource
edition of the .NET CLI. The MONO .NET clone is very reliable if you are
doing straight-forwards things. Many hosts offer the option of LAMP+IIS
(.NET 1.1 + ASP3) if they're any good. If you're going to be doing media
serving, Windows servers generally offer the quickest way to develop a
solution and are less complex to manage and maintain. But if it's pure
flexibility you want, I choose JSP (Java) as my second platform.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:00:53 +1200, "windandwaves"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was wondering what you think works best.

Java. Far more capable than any of those. Not that I'd recommend it, as
it's expensive overkill for everything except the larger sites.

>I only do php and mysql, but recently someone told me that these are
>hopelessly out of date compared to, for example, dot.net.

Rubbish. CGI is outdated, but PHP is still in with a chance. It's only
really suitable for small systems, but it's perfectly workable within
that field.

windandwaves

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> In article <bspPe.5836$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi Gurus
>>
>> I know this is an html group, but I am sure many of you do web
>> development work that goes beyond html.
>>
>> I was wondering what you think works best.
>> - PHP
>> - Java something
>> - .net
>> - Mysql vs SQL vs Postgres (or whatever these databases are called)
>> - etc...
>>
>> I only do php and mysql, but recently someone told me that these are
>> hopelessly out of date compared to, for example, dot.net.
>>
>> Personally, I believe that it does not matter, that we will never
>> use all the potential anyway and that it is more important to know
>> something well and your actual ideas, the the languages are much of
>> a muchness...
>>
>> What do you think?

> What are your career ambitions? Do you want to be doing trivial
> little web sites for the rest of your life, or do you want to give
> enterprise- level application development a shot?

I am focussing on small and medium sized businesses as the average business
size in New Zealand is eight people.

> If it's the
> latter, you'll need more than PHP and MySQL. A recent survey
> indicates that the take-up of PHP is declining as businesses head for
> Java and/or .Net applications.

Hnmmm, yes, that is a shame, as I do like the concept of open source.

windandwaves

Safalra wrote:
> windandwaves wrote:
>> I know this is an html group, but I am sure many of you do web
>> development work that goes beyond html.
>>
>> I was wondering what you think works best.
>> - PHP
>> - Java something
>> - .net
>> - Mysql vs SQL vs Postgres (or whatever these databases are called)
>> - etc...
>>
>> I only do php and mysql, but recently someone told me that these are
>> hopelessly out of date compared to, for example, dot.net.

> .NET will only run (reliably) on Windows-based servers (there are some
> Linux clones of .NET, but from what my .NET-minded friends tell me
> they rather unreliable). Java (-server pages) has greater support for
> other platforms, and Java is a fairly nice language.
> PHP is a mess of
> a language, but it seems to be the one most people (including me)

Why is it such a mess? As this is all I know I dont really see the mess.

> use. It depends on who you're doing web development for, and whether
> they insist on a certain host. If they do, PHP with MySQL is probably
> the best combination, as most hosts offer a LAMP (Linux, Apache,
> MySQL, PHP) solution.

windandwaves

SpaceGirl wrote:
> If
> you're going to be doing media serving, Windows servers generally

what do mean with media serving?

> offer the quickest way to develop a solution and are less complex to
> manage and maintain. But if it's pure flexibility you want, I choose
> JSP (Java) as my second platform.

Would it take a long time to learn JSP?

Chris Hope

windandwaves wrote:

> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>> In article <bspPe.5836$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> Hi Gurus
>>>
>>> I know this is an html group, but I am sure many of you do web
>>> development work that goes beyond html.
>>>
>>> I was wondering what you think works best.
>>> - PHP
>>> - Java something
>>> - .net
>>> - Mysql vs SQL vs Postgres (or whatever these databases are called)
>>> - etc...
>>>
>>> I only do php and mysql, but recently someone told me that these are
>>> hopelessly out of date compared to, for example, dot.net.
>>>
>>> Personally, I believe that it does not matter, that we will never
>>> use all the potential anyway and that it is more important to know
>>> something well and your actual ideas, the the languages are much of
>>> a muchness...
>>>
>>> What do you think?

>> What are your career ambitions? Do you want to be doing trivial
>> little web sites for the rest of your life, or do you want to give
>> enterprise- level application development a shot?

> I am focussing on small and medium sized businesses as the average
> business size in New Zealand is eight people.
>
>> If it's the
>> latter, you'll need more than PHP and MySQL. A recent survey
>> indicates that the take-up of PHP is declining as businesses head for
>> Java and/or .Net applications.

> Hnmmm, yes, that is a shame, as I do like the concept of open source.

Ah so you're from NZ. You're probably best to concentrate on .net or
java then if you're looking for employment as there isn't a lot of call
for PHP programmers, although personally I seem to be swamped with work
at the moment (I only do PHP now). A look at sites like Netcheck will
give you a good indication of the demand for various programming
languages in NZ.

Thomas Jespersen

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:00:53 +1200, windandwaves wrote:

> What do you think?

PHP is still useful for small projects, I like java because I can easily
develop for it on my linux platform. As for .net I think it is good if you
come from a Windows background as Microsoft are betting big on it and they
have made some very nice development tools for it.

If your main platform is linux/Unix I recommend you use PHP or Java as
they are imho better integrated with the platform.

So, to sum up, they all have their uses, but if you are a professional
programmer I recommend you look at either java or .net based on your
platform experiences as they seem to be what the industry is asking for
(at least here in Denmark).