Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Please CSS question

Please CSS question

Fabri

Some guru in the house can explain me why this page:

http://famigliamaccarrone.dynu.com/g...i/principi.htm

is OK in IE and not in FF?

The right DIV "float" correctly right in IE but not in FF.

Any help much appreciated.

Best regards.

--
Sign failure

Ed Jay

Fabri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some guru in the house can explain me why this page:
>
>http://famigliamaccarrone.dynu.com/g...i/principi.htm
>
>is OK in IE and not in FF?
>
>The right DIV "float" correctly right in IE but not in FF.
>
>Any help much appreciated.

I don't know what's wrong, but it doesn't work in Opera (8.02) either.

Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

Fabri

Ed Jay wrote:

> I don't know what's wrong, but it doesn't work in Opera (8.02) either.

I can't notice why.

--
Sign failure

Els

Fabri wrote:

> Some guru in the house can explain me why this page:
>
> http://famigliamaccarrone.dynu.com/g...i/principi.htm
>
> is OK in IE and not in FF?
>
> The right DIV "float" correctly right in IE but not in FF.
>
> Any help much appreciated.

You didn't give it a width. If you don't set a width for a float, it
will try to be as wide as needed for the content. If you set a width,
the content will try to fit inside.

Instead of giving it a width (difficult in a fluid design), you can
set a left margin. You can take "float:right;" out, and add in a
left-margin, the same size as the width of the navigation. (and give
the navigation a width, the same as the left-margin of the content
)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Fabri

Els wrote:

> Instead of giving it a width (difficult in a fluid design), you can
> set a left margin. You can take "float:right;" out, and add in a
> left-margin, the same size as the width of the navigation. (and give
> the navigation a width, the same as the left-margin of the content

That's it Els

Awesome

--
Sign failure

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Fabri wrote:
> That's it Els
>
> Awesome

Now go back and set a background color... the page has an ugly aqua
color background for me.

Oh wait! That's my default background color! You need to set a
background of white, or an off-white. I would also recommend adding
more contrast to the content text (darker), which is a bit hard to
read (even with a white background).

There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
scrollbar in my 800x600 window.

You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not be
able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to
percentages. Then, use em units for your division widths, so they grow
as well when text is increased.

Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Fabri

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Now go back and set a background color...

Done!

> I would also recommend adding more
> contrast to the content text (darker), which is a bit hard to read (even
> with a white background).

Done!

> There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
> scrollbar in my 800x600 window.

Fixed!

> You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not be
> able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to percentages.
> Then, use em units for your division widths, so they grow as well when
> text is increased.

I don't understand this point...please can u give me some example?

> Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

I agree. Fixed!

Great job Beauregard

--
Sign failure

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Fabri wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> Now go back and set a background color...

> Done!

Yes.

>> I would also recommend adding more contrast to the content text
>> (darker), which is a bit hard to read (even with a white
>> background).

> Done!

Still is low-contrast for me. Make the text black, or almost black.

>> There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
>> scrollbar in my 800x600 window.

> Fixed!

Yes.

>> You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not
>> be able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to
>> percentages. Then, use em units for your division widths, so they
>> grow as well when text is increased.

> I don't understand this point...please can u give me some example?

Open the page in IE. Go to View > Text Size > Largest
Nothing happens. If I had poor vision and needed big letters, I would
not be able to do this, without going deep into the options and
disabling Author font size for *all* sites.

Open the page in .. Firefox. Press Control-Plus once or twice
(Control-Minus to reverse). Note how print gets larger. Firefox is not
broken like IE is.

>> Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

> I agree. Fixed!
>
> Great job Beauregard

Thanks. Resetting all your sizing to percentages and ems will take you
a bit of time, so let us know when that is done.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

dorayme

> From: Fabri <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> Now go back and set a background color...

> Done!
>
>> I would also recommend adding more
>> contrast to the content text (darker), which is a bit hard to read (even
>> with a white background).

> Done!
>
>> There is still some problem with your width. I get a horizontal
>> scrollbar in my 800x600 window.

> Fixed!
>
>> You are setting font sizes in px units. Visitors with IE will not be
>> able to resize the text if they have bad vision. Switch to percentages.
>> Then, use em units for your division widths, so they grow as well when
>> text is increased.

> I don't understand this point...please can u give me some example?
>

>> Consider not using justified text... hard to read.

> I agree. Fixed!
>

> Great job Beauregard

Jesus! Fabri, being so nice and appreciative and agreeable like this makes
folks like me look even worse than we are...

dorayme

Fabri

dorayme wrote:

> Jesus! Fabri, being so nice and appreciative and agreeable like this makes
> folks like me look even worse than we are...

Aehmm...sorry for my english..but I don't understand

--
Sign failure