Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Streaming audio using m3u playlist file

Streaming audio using m3u playlist file

Spartanicus

Barry Koopersmith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You've not answered the question of what happens when you feed Winamp
>> the url to the remote m3u file.

>I did answer the question of "what happens when you feed Winamp the url
>to the remote m3u file".

You told us what happened when you fed Winamp the url to the *mp3* file,
not the *m3u* redirector file.

>I said that if I enter the URL, it immediately
>plays the mp3.

If that was a mistake and you meant the *m3u*, then this confirms that
your local IE configuration is to blame.

>I agree that the using m3u redirector files is the right approach but
>what do I need to do to get it to work in IE?

If you want to fix your local IE configuration you'd better ask in an IE
group.

--
Spartanicus

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Barry Koopersmith quothed:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> >>Does the mp3 play in Internet Explorer if anybody else clicks that link?
> >>Please let me know.

> > I can't check at the moment as I have no access to a machine running
> > Windows, however...
> >

> >>Is there a better method for streaming mp3 files on a webpage (so it
> >>starts playing immediately instead of waiting until the entire file
> >>downloads)?

> > RealPlayer appear to play music immediately. Making an .rm or .ram version
> > wouldn't hurt if you have the conversion software already. Bear in mind, as
> > Spartanicus said:
> >
> > "There are many media players capable of handling m3u/mp3 files, leave
> > that choice to the user, don't assume that they use the same player that
> > you use."
> >
> > If I were to click a link to an MP3 file on your site, it would open up in
> > RealPlayer, which means it would not interfere with my current playlists in
> > XMMS. Never assume anything as regards the set preferences, application or
> > platform. I suggest you leave that to the user and worry less whether an
> > extra click is necessary or not. Add a gentle reminder to the visitor
> > saying that he/she might need to start the audio explicitly. When I click a
> > link to an MP3, I first get the choice as to whether I want it saved or
> > opened. The one click 'magic' can never be guaranteed.
> >
> > Roy

> The first time you click on a file link of a particular file type,
> Internet Explorer asks you if you want to open or save the file and you
> have the option of checking the box if you want the answer remembered.
> If someone selects "open", my goal is to have the large mp3 file
> streamed so it plays immediately. It doesn't matter to me which player
> the person uses to play it. When they click on the m3u, it is supposed
> to call up whatever music player is assiciated with the m3u file type.
> On my computer, it is WinAmp.
>
> The problem is on my computer, all the different web browsers open the
> default m3u music player but Internet Explorer (with a live webpage, not
> from my local hard drive) is the only web browser that does not play the
> mp3 (it open opens the music player but does not play the mp3). Even if
> you click the "Play" button, it does not play. You have to type in the
> complete URL of the mp3. Is this a problem only on my computer or a
> problem using this code with Internet Explorer?
>
> Is there a better method for streaming mp3 files on a webpage so if you
> select the open to open the file and your default music player opens, it
> starts playing immediately instead of waiting until the entire file
> downloads with Internet Explorer and the other web browsers?

I get the same results you do while Greg N's file works perfectly.

Have Windows XP. Perhaps it's a security feature in XP version of IE
but I have a bunch of m3u's on my site all working perfectly.

My m3u's are named the same as the mp3 file, have no capital letters and
no dashes. They are 1 directory below the main and are called
relatively. I'd try utilising the previous suggestions at least as a
test because I can think of nothing else that'd cause this problem.

--
Neredbojias

Barry Koopersmith

Greg N. wrote:
> Greg N. wrote:
>
> Whoops, I messed up. I meant to say:
>
> The file at http://www.cwdjr.net/mpg/Caruso1903.m3u is terminated by a
> LineFeed (hex 0a).
>
> The file http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/aud...nic-3songs.m3u is
> terminated by a CarriageReturn/LineFeed (hex 0d0a).
>
> I have no idea if that's what makes the difference.

I edited Scenic-3songs.m3u so it ends in a hex 0a (I deleted the 0a) but
it still behaves the same way.

Here is a new link:

http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/aud...streaming2.htm

On this webpage, I have a link to your my Scenic-3songs.m3u and a link
to your Caruso1903.m3u. When I click on the "Scenic-3songs.m3u" link, it
pops up WinAmp but does not play the mp3. When I click on the
"Caruso1903.m3u" link, it pops up WinAmp and it plays the mp3.

Caruso1903.m3u contains this:
http://www.cwdjr.net/mpg/Caruso1903.mp3

Scenic-3songs.m3u contains this:
http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3

Can you tell me why your m3u plays the mp3 from the link and mine does
not (only using IE; all other web browsers work OK)?

If you have Internet Explorer, please try both links and tell me if they
both play the mp3 for you.

Barry Koopersmith

Spartanicus wrote:

> Barry Koopersmith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>>You've not answered the question of what happens when you feed Winamp
>>>the url to the remote m3u file.

>>I did answer the question of "what happens when you feed Winamp the url
>>to the remote m3u file".

> You told us what happened when you fed Winamp the url to the *mp3* file,
> not the *m3u* redirector file.
>

>>I said that if I enter the URL, it immediately
>>plays the mp3.

> If that was a mistake and you meant the *m3u*, then this confirms that
> your local IE configuration is to blame.
>

>>I agree that the using m3u redirector files is the right approach but
>>what do I need to do to get it to work in IE?

> If you want to fix your local IE configuration you'd better ask in an IE
> group.

When I paste the m3u URL in WinAmp, it plays the mp3.

As I just posted in another message on this same subject, check out this
link:

http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/aud...streaming2.htm

The "Scenic-3songs.m3u" link has the problem (it pops up WinAmp but does
not play the mp3) but the "Caruso1903.m3u" link pops up WinAmp and plays
the mp3. Since one m3u fully works and one does not, this would imply
that this is not an IE issue but something wrong in my code. Do you have
any thoughts on this?

Barry Koopersmith

Neredbojias wrote:

> With neither quill nor qualm, Barry Koopersmith quothed:
>

>>Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>>I can't check at the moment as I have no access to a machine running
>>>Windows, however...

>>>RealPlayer appear to play music immediately. Making an .rm or .ram version
>>>wouldn't hurt if you have the conversion software already. Bear in mind, as
>>>Spartanicus said:
>>>
>>>"There are many media players capable of handling m3u/mp3 files, leave
>>>that choice to the user, don't assume that they use the same player that
>>>you use."
>>>
>>>If I were to click a link to an MP3 file on your site, it would open up in
>>>RealPlayer, which means it would not interfere with my current playlists in
>>>XMMS. Never assume anything as regards the set preferences, application or
>>>platform. I suggest you leave that to the user and worry less whether an
>>>extra click is necessary or not. Add a gentle reminder to the visitor
>>>saying that he/she might need to start the audio explicitly. When I click a
>>>link to an MP3, I first get the choice as to whether I want it saved or
>>>opened. The one click 'magic' can never be guaranteed.
>>>
>>>Roy

>>The first time you click on a file link of a particular file type,
>>Internet Explorer asks you if you want to open or save the file and you
>>have the option of checking the box if you want the answer remembered.
>>If someone selects "open", my goal is to have the large mp3 file
>>streamed so it plays immediately. It doesn't matter to me which player
>>the person uses to play it. When they click on the m3u, it is supposed
>>to call up whatever music player is assiciated with the m3u file type.
>>On my computer, it is WinAmp.
>>
>>The problem is on my computer, all the different web browsers open the
>>default m3u music player but Internet Explorer (with a live webpage, not
>>from my local hard drive) is the only web browser that does not play the
>>mp3 (it open opens the music player but does not play the mp3). Even if
>>you click the "Play" button, it does not play. You have to type in the
>>complete URL of the mp3. Is this a problem only on my computer or a
>>problem using this code with Internet Explorer?
>>
>>Is there a better method for streaming mp3 files on a webpage so if you
>>select the open to open the file and your default music player opens, it
>>starts playing immediately instead of waiting until the entire file
>>downloads with Internet Explorer and the other web browsers?
>>

> I get the same results you do while Greg N's file works perfectly.
>
> Have Windows XP. Perhaps it's a security feature in XP version of IE
> but I have a bunch of m3u's on my site all working perfectly.
>
> My m3u's are named the same as the mp3 file, have no capital letters and
> no dashes. They are 1 directory below the main and are called
> relatively. I'd try utilising the previous suggestions at least as a
> test because I can think of nothing else that'd cause this problem.

Please check out this webpage:

http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/aud...streaming2.htm

I made the second link a "scenicsongs123.m3u" file which contains the
path to a "scenicsongs123.mp3" file and the m3u file and the mp3 file
have the same name (with no capital letters and no dashes) (but
different file types) and they are in the same directory as the html
file and I still have the same problem.

Since you have the same problem with my m3u and but not Greg's m3u (same
thing that happens on my computer), it appears the problem is not my
computer and not with IE but something wrong with my code. There must be
something wrong with either the code in the html file or the m3u file
(but I cannot see what).

Can anyone figure out why the Caruso1903.m3u link plays the mp3 in IE
but not the Scenic-3songs.m3u (or scenicsongs123.m3u)?

cwdjrxyz@yahoo.com

Barry Koopersmith wrote:

> Please check out this webpage:
>
> http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/aud...streaming2.htm
>
> I made the second link a "scenicsongs123.m3u" file which contains the
> path to a "scenicsongs123.mp3" file and the m3u file and the mp3 file
> have the same name (with no capital letters and no dashes) (but
> different file types) and they are in the same directory as the html
> file and I still have the same problem.
>
> Since you have the same problem with my m3u and but not Greg's m3u (same
> thing that happens on my computer), it appears the problem is not my
> computer and not with IE but something wrong with my code. There must be
> something wrong with either the code in the html file or the m3u file
> (but I cannot see what).
>
> Can anyone figure out why the Caruso1903.m3u link plays the mp3 in IE
> but not the Scenic-3songs.m3u (or scenicsongs123.m3u)?

This is getting so complicated, that I decided the best thing to do was
to put some files up at my second domain. See them at
http://www.cwdjr.info/TFaRLive/ .
I will take these files down within a day or two, so please download
them if they are of any use to you. I encoded your large mp3 into mp3,
Windows wma. and and Real .rm files that are only about 2.6 MB each and
at a rate of 32 kbps. This is about as fast as you can go on a good 56K
dialup connection. Many say that the sound quality is better for either
..rm or .wma than mp3 at these very low bit rates, while mp3 often is
best at 128 kbps as in your original, or even higher. There is an
"about" file in the directory to which you will link that gives a
little more information.

Since I have all of the encoders and file format conversion programs
set up and ready to go, this all required very little time. If any of
this is of use to you, I need no credit as I did so little.

Barry Koopersmith

> Barry Koopersmith wrote:
>

>>Please check out this webpage:
>>
>>http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/aud...streaming2.htm
>>
>>I made the second link a "scenicsongs123.m3u" file which contains the
>>path to a "scenicsongs123.mp3" file and the m3u file and the mp3 file
>>have the same name (with no capital letters and no dashes) (but
>>different file types) and they are in the same directory as the html
>>file and I still have the same problem.
>>
>>Since you have the same problem with my m3u and but not Greg's m3u (same
>>thing that happens on my computer), it appears the problem is not my
>>computer and not with IE but something wrong with my code. There must be
>>something wrong with either the code in the html file or the m3u file
>>(but I cannot see what).
>>
>>Can anyone figure out why the Caruso1903.m3u link plays the mp3 in IE
>>but not the Scenic-3songs.m3u (or scenicsongs123.m3u)?

> This is getting so complicated, that I decided the best thing to do was
> to put some files up at my second domain. See them at
> http://www.cwdjr.info/TFaRLive/ .
> I will take these files down within a day or two, so please download
> them if they are of any use to you. I encoded your large mp3 into mp3,
> Windows wma. and and Real .rm files that are only about 2.6 MB each and
> at a rate of 32 kbps. This is about as fast as you can go on a good 56K
> dialup connection. Many say that the sound quality is better for either
> .rm or .wma than mp3 at these very low bit rates, while mp3 often is
> best at 128 kbps as in your original, or even higher. There is an
> "about" file in the directory to which you will link that gives a
> little more information.
>
> Since I have all of the encoders and file format conversion programs
> set up and ready to go, this all required very little time. If any of
> this is of use to you, I need no credit as I did so little.

I downloaded the files. I read all the text files. Thanks for doing
this. How does this help resolve the problem of why one m3u file plays
the mp3 in IE and the other does not?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Barry Koopersmith quothed:

> Please check out this webpage:
>
> http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/aud...streaming2.htm
>
> I made the second link a "scenicsongs123.m3u" file which contains the
> path to a "scenicsongs123.mp3" file and the m3u file and the mp3 file
> have the same name (with no capital letters and no dashes) (but
> different file types) and they are in the same directory as the html
> file and I still have the same problem.
>
> Since you have the same problem with my m3u and but not Greg's m3u (same
> thing that happens on my computer), it appears the problem is not my
> computer and not with IE but something wrong with my code. There must be
> something wrong with either the code in the html file or the m3u file
> (but I cannot see what).
>
> Can anyone figure out why the Caruso1903.m3u link plays the mp3 in IE
> but not the Scenic-3songs.m3u (or scenicsongs123.m3u)?

Nope, again I get the same results as you. I even d/led and checked
your .m3u file (mine all end with OD OA but you've gone thru that.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with your code, I think it's an IE
thing. Like the extra .ible or lack of www or something. As for server
mime-type setup, the www/no-www issue shouldn't be relevant because it
works in Mozilla.

Sorry not to be of more help but if it's any consolation, I'm as puzzled
as you.

--
Neredbojias

Spartanicus

Barry Koopersmith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The "Scenic-3songs.m3u" link has the problem (it pops up WinAmp but does
>not play the mp3) but the "Caruso1903.m3u" link pops up WinAmp and plays
>the mp3. Since one m3u fully works and one does not, this would imply
>that this is not an IE issue but something wrong in my code.

It's an IE issue, ask in a MS group.

--
Spartanicus

Greg N.

Barry Koopersmith wrote:

>> http://www.cwdjr.net/mpg/Caruso1903.m3u
>> http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/aud...nic-3songs.m3u

> When I click on the "Scenic-3songs.m3u" link, it
> pops up WinAmp but does not play the mp3.

> When I click on the
> "Caruso1903.m3u" link, it pops up WinAmp and it plays the mp3.

You should investigate the MIME type definitions on these two servers.
I don't fully understand that, but as far as I know the content type,
and hence, the kind of plugin needed to play it, is not (not only? not
always?) determined by the file extension (m3u, mp3), but by the MIME
type definition.

There is something in every web server, called MIME type definition,
where the administrator has to define: "A file with extension MP3 is an
MP3 file", which results in appropriate headers added whenever the file
is sent out.

I suspect that's where the problem is.

--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

streaming audio with .m3u Jack Jarmush HTML 1 08-21-2009 04:31 PM
m3u and MP3 files ? now choppy audio... paul814@excite.com Computer Support 4 10-01-2007 07:35 PM
m3u not working with FF MD Firefox 1 10-19-2004 03:43 PM
Re: p3p and inline files like M3U Daniel Doman HTML 0 07-26-2003 07:36 PM

Advertisments