Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Site critique Plz.

Site critique Plz.

static

Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.

http://www.deanscream.com

I started designing by hand in notepad than went to an easy jobber. Web page
maker. Any snipes are fine and appreciated. TIA

dorayme

> From: "static" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
>
> http://www.deanscream.com

OK. let me make 2 criticisms without looking at your code:

It loads way too slow and on that ground alone, for a public site of general
interest, is very bad.

It is extremely irritating to have to use scrollbars to see horizontal
content on even my 20" monitor at 1024 px wide even... This is one of the
worst "fixed width" designs around. You seem unaware that there are any
screens besides your own at your own settings...

dorayme

dorayme

> From: "static" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
>
> http://www.deanscream.com
>
> I started designing by hand in notepad than went to an easy jobber. Web page
> maker. Any snipes are fine and appreciated. TIA

And now, nicer:

At least reduce the size of all the pics by at least half.

dorayme

Blinky the Shark

static wrote:
> Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
>
> http://www.deanscream.com

I half expected a p*rn site, since I parsed the name as "dean's cream".

That said, it's too wide and I don't care to download another plugin,
thanks.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Roy Schestowitz

On Sunday 21 August 2005 02:24, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> static wrote:
>> Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
>>
>> http://www.deanscream.com

> I half expected a p*rn site, since I parsed the name as "dean's cream".
>
> That said, it's too wide and I don't care to download another plugin,
> thanks.

I second that.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz "Free the mind, the source will follow"
http://Schestowitz.com

Stan McCann

"static" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:%gQNe.34477$(E-Mail Removed):

> Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
>
> http://www.deanscream.com
>
> I started designing by hand in notepad than went to an easy jobber.
> Web page maker. Any snipes are fine and appreciated. TIA

A little of both ripping and being nice. Color scheme, look and feel;
I think is good. You should have stuck with notepad and learned HTML
instead of depending on a WYSINWYG generator. Although, it uses
styling (good), all of the styling is in-line (which is bad) causing
poor load times even on a fast connection.

Something that many are going to get you on is the horizontal scolling.
That is not a good thing, most people don't like scrolling left/right;
it makes it hard to read things. Your quotes page has some horrible
markeup that follows no kind of standard at all. Is that entire page
really a heading?

http://www.w3schools.com/ has some good tutorials. Go back to using a
text editor and learn how to use HTML 4.01. Many books and tutorials
you find will suggest/recommend using a Transitional DTD. The HTML
4.01 recommendation being issued in 1998 convices me that any
"transition" time is long past. IMO, all new documents should use a
strict doctype and follow the recommendation as closely as possible. I
leave that "closely as possible" there for a bit of leeway; it probably
wouldn't take a lot of convincing for a good reason to not follow the
recommendation but you should know that you are doing it and why.

http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Stan McCann

Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> static wrote:
>> Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
>>
>> http://www.deanscream.com

> I half expected a p*rn site, since I parsed the name as "dean's
> cream".
>
> That said, it's too wide and I don't care to download another
> plugin, thanks.

I forgot to mention the plugin. That was one of the things I meant to
complement him on, I didn't download any plugin and AFAIK got a good
enough look at the site as far as I wanted to go. I didn't think I
missed anything.

"Stan McCann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "static" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:%gQNe.34477$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
> >
> > http://www.deanscream.com
> >
> > I started designing by hand in notepad than went to an easy jobber.
> > Web page maker. Any snipes are fine and appreciated. TIA

> A little of both ripping and being nice. Color scheme, look and feel;
> I think is good. You should have stuck with notepad and learned HTML
> instead of depending on a WYSINWYG generator. Although, it uses
> styling (good), all of the styling is in-line (which is bad) causing
> poor load times even on a fast connection.
>
> Something that many are going to get you on is the horizontal scolling.
> That is not a good thing, most people don't like scrolling left/right;
> it makes it hard to read things. Your quotes page has some horrible
> markeup that follows no kind of standard at all. Is that entire page
> really a heading?
>
> http://www.w3schools.com/ has some good tutorials. Go back to using a
> text editor and learn how to use HTML 4.01. Many books and tutorials
> you find will suggest/recommend using a Transitional DTD. The HTML
> 4.01 recommendation being issued in 1998 convices me that any
> "transition" time is long past. IMO, all new documents should use a
> strict doctype and follow the recommendation as closely as possible. I
> leave that "closely as possible" there for a bit of leeway; it probably
> wouldn't take a lot of convincing for a good reason to not follow the
> recommendation but you should know that you are doing it and why.
>
> --
> Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/pirate.html
> Webmaster/Computer Center Manager, NMSU at Alamogordo
> http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
> Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Site Critique Weyoun the Dancing Borg HTML 8 01-27-2004 03:01 AM
critique template for site murmur HTML 5 10-24-2003 10:14 AM
New site, looking for critique on loading time Tina - AffordableHOST.com HTML 17 10-24-2003 09:28 AM
site critique murmur HTML 6 10-22-2003 04:14 PM
edgesoft.ca site critique please Long HTML 5 10-21-2003 09:18 PM

Advertisments